Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Anime/Manga

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Best thing about AoT
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

ur wrong

Alright, her too. Forgot about her.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

sasha is mai waifu

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    You know Jubeh... your mind is starting to worry me... Not sure if I should be concerned or not. (Everything is so freakin dark, why man?)

Anyway... now that this whole "A Snack on a Titan" thing has run away with the thread...

Why do you suppose manga-ka rely so heavily on stereotypes? Really, I'm trying to think of truly original characters here. Black Lagoon seemed atypical, as did Trigun and (to a certain extent) Gintama <<< (because it used stereotypes and then proceeded to reverse and poke fun at them all, thus becoming stereotypical. Ugh) and Deadman Wonderland. (Although that too relied on stereotypes.)

I guess the differences are really between tropes and cliches. Tropes being the stuff that we might actually enjoy seeing once in a while, especially if the writer can pull of something original with it. Cliches being horrible, ugly things that should die in the worst way possible. (Vampires and ninjas anyone?)

Speaking of vampires, (heh) Black Butler is probably the most over-rated anime/manga in the history of anime/manga... ech.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

because many manga or anime are not actually about character development, but archetypes serving to move a central plot forward or prove a thesis through extended metaphor. there are plenty of anime that are actually about character development (sakamichi no apollon, kotonoha no niwa aka push your booty, katanagatari, and sakurasou no pet na kanachos bo bo bobobobobo are all examples of this) but aot is not one of them. jubeh already stated its thesis so theres that

Lookit all the teenagers/little kids piloting giant robots animes.
    <My comic

Here's a question for you lot, then; Are good manga and anime inheriently counter-culture?

Going against cliches and tropes tends to make for a better series, but it also makes it more difficult to market. I mean, fair enough, things like Dorohedoro, Battle Angel Alita, Dead Leaves or Redline are impossible to explain to other people in person, but I can't help but feel like exposure to those sort of things is exactly what turns somebody into an actual bonne fide fan of the media rather than just a weebo who still equates popular = good.

Hell, as is often the case with conversations on here, I feel like you could probally apply that to all media. Metal fans who like Metallica and Metallica only probally aren't into digging through stockpiles of old, forgotten crap looking for hidden gems.
    Last edited by Regantor; 12-22-2013 at 06:12 PM.

ya probably

Pretty much yeah.