Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Anime/Manga

*vomits*

It's okay, its okay. Sometimes I think that mangas like Bleach and Naruto outlive their shelf life because shounen jump forces them too, so they can make another extra dime. Who wants to find new talent when they already have a drawing monkey available?

Itís just my opinion, butÖ Too many people assume Naruto is bad because itís popular. Iíll admit it: Itís overrated (itís interesting and stuff, but not perfect), and the beginning is boring (IMO), but I think the plot is actually pretty nice. I kept watching it only because I began watching it when I was younger, but I think itís worth continuing. Maybe Iím just really attached to the characters, though.

And, someone mentionned Black Butler: The anime isÖ Not exactly what Iíd call good, but the manga has awesome drawings! I mean, I donít care that much about the plot (itís basically the author fangirling over her own characters, but some parts are surprisingly interesting), but youíve gotta give her credits for the art.

And, wait, just why did you mention FMA? I feel like it does deserve its popularityÖ Maybe itís just the type of anime/manga I like (read and seen it.).

But, yeah, Bleach is sortaÖ Well, Iíve read something like 300 or 200 chapters, and I just donít know. I remember I got bored of those endless fight scenes andÖ other stuff. I just quit. Itís.. Oh, well, people can have their own opinions, I guess. (But itís way too overrated, honestly.)

Evangelion is just Shinji being Shinji and doing Shinji stuff. Seriously, he should go consult a psychologist. And I just want to know, was there any meaning in that end? I mean, really? I was so frustated. My life would have been better had I not watched it. I didnít feel like clapping when I reached the end.

Well, we all have nostalgia. I'll admit that I like Eva rather more than I really should, because it was one of the first anime I ever seen, and the concept of bio-mechanical giants instead of robots was mind-blowing at the time. But it's still a badly written and intentionally confusing mess, with many more problems aside. I mean, either Shinji was either specifically supposed to appeal to spineless layabouts, or Gainax literally just made a big list of all the giant robot clichés and did the exact opposite of each one. I also wasn't world-weary enough to spot all the injury-fetishism at the time. Yet I still know a crap load about it, I'm still able to find jokes relating to it funny.

Nobody can tell you what you are, and are not, allowed to like...

But that said, it is pretty annoying when the shelves in every book store are lined with Naruto/Bleach, and it's impossible to find a copy of true, inarguably fantastic gems like Dorohedoro or Battle Angel Alita.

That's why people get pissed off about it.
    Last edited by Regantor; 02-08-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Eva's symbolism is, by the creator's own admission, meaningless. It's one of the reasons why Eva is objectively bad. It's sound and fury signifying nothing. Personally I think a lot of the early and beloved anime are pretty goddamned awful and that really the reason why we look so fondly on them is a mix of nostalgia and the sunk cost fallacy. The latter may not seem as noteworthy to you young'uns but what you have to remember is that anime in the 90s and early 2000s was, in the states at least, crazy expensive. After you just went out and spent something insane like 50-60$ on 4 episodes of something, you're damn right you're going to do everything in your power to convince yourself that was a worthwhile purchase.

Like, Ninja Scroll. Holy shit, Ninja Scroll. I will never understand how it is that so many people praise Ninja Scroll while in the same breath condemning all the other hyper-violent, misogynistic/rape-happy anime of the period. Ninja Scroll is better animated than many - but not all or arguably even most - of its competition within that 'genre' but I don't see why that should really count for much. A high resolution photo of a turd is still a photo of a turd. Or, as the old joke goes, 'the food was terrible and the portions were small.'

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Hmm. I would actually go up to bat for Ninja Scroll. Kawajiri was one of the best action directors of his generation, and I feel it's a very fine display of his work in that area. While it was never going to be a great work of drama, the film also succeeded in making me care about the eventual fate of its characters.

The sexual violence is unfortunate. It's distasteful, it's entirely unnecessary and was cut from early releases of the film (hence some older reviews will likely gloss over it), but Ninja Scroll is far from the worst example of misogyny. Kagero, and indeed the female villains, are repeatedly shown to be entirely competent fighters in their own right, not helpless victims of maurading men.

Is it overrated? Probably. At heart, it's just a basic, nuts and bolts swordfighting action film, but I do genuinely believe it's one of the most artful and entertaining examples of its ilk.

Did you guys watch the animated follow up to ninja scroll? I think it was called ninja ressurection.

Had like a woman with no arms or legs being raped and stuff iirc.

Stay classy.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Nope, but I know what I'm watching tonight now.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Could be worse.

It could be Mad Bull 34.

SPOILER! :

I had mad bull on vhs too