Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Anime/Manga

@Kodos - I believe it can, since it still holds a large internet presence - particularly from a fanart point of view. Though it may be metaphorically "dead", it still gets dug up from time to time and poked at with sticks. Which is more than can be said for a lot of the less well known anime/manga series. Particularly series with more interesting development and considerably better coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I agree with Guren Lagan, and maybe Evangelion, but FLCL and Cowboy Bebop? NOoooooooooooooooooOOooo why hath you forsaken me!?
    I didnt like gits when I was younger but now its my favorite show, so maybe Ill like bebop if I watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Genuinely interested in hearing why you guys dont like attack on titan
    Killing off main characters mother, to trigger some kind of emotional response. That doesn't really work after such a short time of character building and feels really forced. Also, that scene was horribly censored, it's almost as if it was a Hollywood movie

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    What is the etcetera?
    The list could go on...
    Nah, One Piece, Fairy Tail, maybe FMA haven't seen enough of that last one to really judge it.
    Oh yeah, Dragon Ball went from a series with humour to a series with ridiculous amounts of testosterone.
    Last edited by Taragon; 12-20-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taragon View Post
    Killing off main characters mother, to trigger some kind of emotional response. That doesn't really work after such a short time of character building and feels really forced. Also, that scene was horribly censored, it's almost as if it was a Hollywood movie.
    They were just establishing the main character's motivation. Its functional. The emotional response is optional.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    The emotional response is optional.
    Eh heh heh heh.

"Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

this thread is like a giant collection of people with opinions worse than gunzet sheesh. anyway i have never really watched an anime i have felt was overrated; im not a member of the animu-lovin community so when i hear about animus its usually in passing or jaidurn will tell me to watch something (and he and i are basically the same person so everything he tells me to watch i kno i will love).

Quote Originally Posted by demonfyre
    It's not that I dislike AoT, its more that there are certain points I think they over exaggerate to a point where it becomes unenjoyable.
    The idea of human corruption and us being our own enemy is kinda taken to ludicrous lengths. The three leads (Eren, Mikasa, Armin) are just more angsty hormonal characters with mediocre development. The way it builds tension etc is just generally overshadowed by other greater shows like Breaking Bad (assuming its viable to compare the two), and upon reflection I just find it to be quite silly despite it being "dark" at the time.
    gonna have to disagree w/ u there on the whole character development thing. last time i checked
    there are actually spoilers in here
    SPOILER! :
    "im gonna kill all the titans" isnt angst; its just a bloodthirsty goal of ultimate vengeance. did u not get to l8r episodes when the trio join the survey corps? did u not see the episode where armin grows a pair of huge balls to stand up for eren? cmon man.

also all yall sayin fma is overrated what r u even saiyan. same with dbz. thats the best shit man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    gonna have to disagree w/ u there on the whole character development thing. last time i checked
    there are actually spoilers in here
    SPOILER! :
    "im gonna kill all the titans" isnt angst; its just a bloodthirsty goal of ultimate vengeance. did u not get to l8r episodes when the trio join the survey corps? did u not see the episode where armin grows a pair of huge balls to stand up for eren? cmon man.

also all yall sayin fma is overrated what r u even saiyan. same with dbz. thats the best shit man.
    But the show is screaming with angst; it is filled with it. Arguably the whole story is pretty much built around the fear, politics and social issues of living in a world filled with titans. Sure, they are fighting against them, but a lot of time and effort has gone into the other aspects of their existence and the impact on society and the world. Speaking of Eren, his motivation and emotional response is as selectively sociopathic as it is flat. He doesn't really develop or change and remains pretty selfish and ignorant throughout the anime, which made him rather unlikeable for me since he is being built up as some sort of savior. Armin is probably the most interesting character in my opinion since he actually evolves throughout, and as you pointed out he finally stands up and takes charge for himself. Armin also takes responsibility for what he does, which is rather admirable given the context.

Thing is, this simply drills down to a matter of opinion. I’ve discussed Eren with several people and what annoys me about him is what many enjoy. He is flawed, which is good, but it just doesn't sway me - characters such as Walter White just pull it off better and in more interesting ways.

As for DBZ - it's just toilet humour, fight scene, reflection, training, and repeat. Not exactly filled with ground breaking substance.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 12-21-2013 at 03:42 PM.

we got guys comparing attack on titan to breaking bad itt

Pfft, walter white and eren are both crazy

My thoughts on a snack on titan (I read the manga. If the animu is different then idk):

I agree the character development is poor. It does what most manga does and relies on your understanding of archetypes to fast forward character development. Like when you see Levi you already understand he's the cool calculated badass guy, and maybe there's a quirk here or there but you're on the same level as the creator right away. I'm not saying that's good writing, but it's common enough that I've become desensitized to it.

I like the manga because it's a suicidal person's wet dream. It takes place in a world where you wonder why you would even want to be alive, and the only thing driving Eren is his hatred. He hates these mindless giant people that just wander around trying to fulfill their urges, and he wants to believe he's not like them but he literally is.

You work hard every day while the privileged sit safely in the center of the universe, and you want to think you're different from the people you hate when you're reminded every day that you're not. Every time you think things are going to get better, they somehow get worse. The little tiny victories suddenly seem much more important, and the only time you're really happy is when you're with your small group of friends.

The artist really needs to get better at drawing hands though.