Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about ultra-linear games?

Quote Originally Posted by Ooocast View Post
    Button tapping, anything random/luck based (I have a hard time enjoying rpgs because of this), anytime in rpgs where I cant force a victory even when I am very under leveled. Quick time events drive me nuts namely ones with button tapping my thumb cant move that fast damn it. "I have played this game longer than you therefore I have all these awesome weapons and you got a bb gun" random drops. any time I get stuck on anything and anytime the camera says "fuck you!!!!"

EDIT: Also I cant enjoy games where I can't win through either strategy or skill. Most of the time.
    What I'm hearing is you don't like games where your decisions aren't meaningful

At least in terms of game play, yes.

When you say that, are you implying gameplay and story and completely different instances?

*Completely owns a bosses ass*
    *Hero's panting for air and the boss is all "hahahaa I'm invincible"*

Answer: Depends on the game.
    I do enjoy altering the story if that's what your asking but 'm also fine with them being linear and honestly I don't have a preference.

That's not what I'm asking.

To break it down simply, when does 'play' stop for you? Like we use the word gameplay extremely casually to the point where we add descriptors to it (shoddy, sloppy, fun, etc...) that basically mean nothing. To me saying gameplay is shoddy is like saying gameplay is fat or stinky. It basically means nothing to me.

So at what point does the play end, and the other shit start. For you, if you are watching a cut-scene are you still playing? Or are the bits of story a separate thread?

In cutscenes it's not gameplay (unless they shove in a qte) but I suppose if you think of it gameplay is story happening.
    On the subject of "shoddy" I've never really considered a game I've played bad like I said that comes down to either "I liked it" or "I didn't like it".
    Although I get the feeling im still lost.

Well we 'play' games right? We watch movies, read books, and play games. If you're watching a cut-scene are you still playing the game, or are you watching the game? If you are reading dialog boxes are you playing the game, or reading it?

I'd say you are reading and watching a game too.
    I think we say "play" because it's (normally) the thing you're doing the most when using a video game.

i dont really like linear games that much at all. I never feel completely immersed in the game, it always feels like I'm just moving the joystick forward to move the character through the game and pressing buttons when the game tells me to. Dont get me wrong though, a story is good in a game but i dont think it should be the main thing about the game. The games I enjoy most have the stories as background, like dark souls for example. There's that vague story in the background but the focus is on the gameplay and you gotta really be careful of what you're doing. I feel like im in total control of the game and if anything shitty happens its probably my fault. Same kinda goes for like monster hunter too I guess. You know, games like that. I like open world games that have a story too because if I get bored of doing the story I can run off and fuck around for a while

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I know its hard to have this discussion without bringing up the obvious opposite (open world) but I specifically want to focus on ultra-linear games. Specifically how you feel when a game carves out a very specific experience for you.
    Alrough I in no way dislike linear games just for being linear, I guess I can list some of the things I don't like about the design specifically;

-Being forced to dig back through savegames. As in, your current playstyle and the choices you've made leading to an obstacle being far harder than it should be specifically for you, generally resulting in digging back through earlier saves, trying to find the soonest point you can diverge from what you did wrong. It's okay for a game to force you to change tactics, but such events should be speedbumps, not marauding black holes of time and energy. Backtracking is just painful. Games that handle this badly; Bioshock, Freelancer, alot of RPGs. How to avoid this; If you insist on making the game super hard, make it like Hotline Miami and have your mountain of deaths serve the purpose of gleaning the enemies' weakness. Or at least provide the character with access to the weapons or moves he needs to continue, even if the player hadn't bothered to use them up until that point.

-Mandatory storytelling VS underselling it. Compare No More Heroes VS Metal Gear Rising. Both are fairly brainless run-and-slash-em-ups of a pretty fun breed, but MGR's bosses fall alot flatter than NMH's do... This is because of Metal Gear's problem with telling you a backstory on facts, generally none of which have any relevance to the plot, right before the fight. Rising in particular does it one worse and basically makes it so you either have a few basic codecs, or nothing at all. NMH's bosses are more likeable because you actually talk to them, expose you to their personalities, and invite you to just fill in the blanks. You don't need to sit through a ten minute cutscene, because the exact, concrete facts aren't really as important as having the character feel at least a bit like a person. Fast paced games don't need to be all noise.

-Quick time events. Not so bad if you can fail and have a slightly hurty thing happen, but an absolute pain in the ass if you need to pass it with flying colours or else face instadeath. Quadruple times worse if it's a button masher. It's like one of those brick wall situations above, except there is absolutely no way of making it fairer.