Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about ultra-linear games?

How do you feel about ultra-linear games?

What are your opinions about linear games, like the Uncharted series of Bioshock Infinite? How important is a story to you in your games? How important is the developer's vision to you?

I'm fine with linear, but I do really like free roam games.
    I find story one of lesser important parts of a game, a game with a good story and bad gameplay is still a bad game in my opinion.
    Although l prefer it when a game has a really good story.

EDIT: Unless you mean as in a story you can effect I do really like that.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Gameplay > Everything for me. So whether the game is incredibly linear or open-world matters not to me, as long as the gameplay keeps me interested and brings at least something new and / or tons of fun to the table, I'm fine if the story is shitty. That's why I like games like Bulletstorm, Alien Rage, Just Cause 2, etc.

Though I do really like it when a game at least makes an attempt at a good story AND gameplay. If I can have both things in spades, I'll jump on it.

The only games I play for story value are the ones that advertise story as their strong point to begin with. But I won't give it a second glance if the gameplay is shoddy.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Yeah so basically what gunzy said.

Can you describe shoddy gameplay

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Eh, they are kind of differant horses.

Open world games demand less attention, but linear games can be alot of fun when the layout of a perticular level is ingrained onto your muscle memory.

The former can have a boring lack of interesting objectives, and the latter just makes the little unfair or boring bits a million times worse.

@Jubeh: Unless it's in a obviously incomplete/glitchy as fuck (which can be enjoyable) category I think it could be summed as "what I don''t like".

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I mean with words. What is shoddy gameplay to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Eh, they are kind of differant horses.

Open world games demand less attention, but linear games can be alot of fun when the layout of a perticular level is ingrained onto your muscle memory.

The former can have a boring lack of interesting objectives, and the latter just makes the little unfair or boring bits a million times worse.
    I know its hard to have this discussion without bringing up the obvious opposite (open world) but I specifically want to focus on ultra-linear games. Specifically how you feel when a game carves out a very specific experience for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ooocast View Post
    @Jubeh: Unless it's in a obviously incomplete/glitchy as fuck (which can be enjoyable) category I think it could be summed as "what I don''t like".
    To you design is subjective to the point where design decisions don't actually matter, so time spent trying to create meaningful decisions is pointless? That's actually pretty realistic, but I think if you thought about it you could give me an example of specific mechanics or design decisions you explicitly find 'shoddy'.

Button tapping, anything random/luck based (I have a hard time enjoying rpgs because of this), anytime in rpgs where I cant force a victory even when I am very under leveled. Quick time events drive me nuts namely ones with button tapping my thumb cant move that fast damn it. "I have played this game longer than you therefore I have all these awesome weapons and you got a bb gun" random drops. any time I get stuck on anything and anytime the camera says "fuck you!!!!"

EDIT: Also I cant enjoy games where I can't win through either strategy or skill. Most of the time.
    Last edited by Ooocast; 12-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.