Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Woman tries to restore a 100 year old prized Spanish mural, then fucks it up

Old Woman tries to restore a 100 year old prized Spanish mural, then fucks it up

So I'm sure by now you guys have heard about this. Let's discuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19349921

An elderly parishioner has stunned Spanish cultural officials with an alarming and unauthorised attempt to restore a prized Jesus Christ fresco.

Ecce Homo (Behold the Man) by Elias Garcia Martinez has held pride of place in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church near Zaragoza for more than 100 years.

The woman took her brush to it after years of deterioration due to moisture.

Cultural officials said she had the best intentions and hoped it could be properly restored.

Donation
    Cecilia Gimenez, who is in her 80s, was reportedly upset at the way the fresco had deteriorated and took it on herself to "restore" the image.

She claimed to have had the permission of the priest to carry out the job.

"(The) priest knew it! He did! How could you do something like that without permission? He knew it!"

BBC Europe correspondent Christian Fraser says the delicate brush strokes of Elias Garcia Martinez have been buried under a haphazard splattering of paint.

The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic, he says.

The woman appears to have realised she was out of her depth and contacted Juan Maria Ojeda, the city councillor in charge of cultural affairs.

Teresa Garcia, granddaughter of Elias Garcia Martinez, said the woman had painted the tunic before, but the fresco got disfigured when she painted Christ's head.

'Good intentions'
    Art historians are expected to meet at the church soon to discuss how to proceed.

Mr Ojeda said: "I think she had good intentions. Next week she will meet with a repairer and explain what kind of materials she used.

"If we can't fix it, we will probably cover the wall with a photo of the painting."

The fresco is not thought to be very valuable, but has a high sentimental value for local people.

Our correspondent says that to make matters worse, the local centre that works to preserve artworks had just received a donation from the painter's granddaughter which they had planned to use to restore the original fresco.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    This is why any artist needs to be realistic in their abilities. You just don't do shit because you THINK you can do better or fix it.

I think the problem was that she's like 80, and sometimes when you're 80 you go super loopy. It's like funny but horrifying at the same time, especially if you think like "omg what if that was me"

also, at least she didn't do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    This is why any artist needs to be realistic in their abilities. You just don't do shit because you THINK you can do better or fix it.
    No, this is why art curators exist. So people who have no idea on fixing art pieces don't screw it.

Huge improvement

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    She done effed up.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I have little idea how someone could desecrate something to that degree :S

perhaps she making a statement

That she doesn't like Jesus?

I thought it pretty funny honestly.