Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nonsi's Workingbench ^_^

on your last pic, the redraw, the eyes are too far apart - there should be a distance of one eye's length between the two eyes, yours has a gap of nearly two. Also, it looks odd having a line right in the middle of the nose between the nostrils, as it's not really connected to anything. It would be better to either just indicate the nostrils, or do most of the outline of the nose, connecting it to the eyebrows. Finally, the shadow connecting the line of the nose to the eyebrow doesnt seem natural at all, there isnt anything that should be casting that sort of shape, normally the shadow would follow one edge of the nose (as it sticks out of the face, if a light source is coming from one side, this casts a shadow on the opposite side)

However, I like the way you draw eyes and hair, and it's good to see you redrawing to take on critiques!

Teen Member
    Heey Fellas,

i took a little break from training LineArt's and tried to do some Colouring. I'm sure there are several things that be better in those
    so i decided to also put em in here so all the colouring ppl can gimme some Hints&Tricks what to do better in terms of colouring
    and Shading.
    So the Pictures im posting are not my own LineArt's i just did the Colouring.

1. LineArt done by JJJorgie:
    SPOILER! :

2. LineArt done by Cloudy:
    SPOILER! :

3. LineArt done by Gedeon:
    SPOILER! :

4. LineArt done by TheAlmanac:
    SPOILER! :

I'm noticing a repeated problem throughout all of these, but especially in the first: You don't have a set light source. Because you don't have one, there are all these random highlights. Also, make sure you make the whites of the eyes white, not skin color, because 1) it's natural and 2) It will help make the eye stand out.

I believe you are doing something known as pillow shading, which is described as;

Pillow shading is shading by surrounding a central area with increasingly darker bands. Pillow-shading is bad because it pays no attention to the light source, and conforms to the shape of the area rather than the form it represents of how light affects it. Pillow shading is often, but not always, combined with banding. The way to fix pillow-shading is simply to pay attention to the direction light is coming from:

The reason pillow-shading is wrong is not because the light source is frontal (from the viewer's direction). You don't have to place the light source in the corner. The reason pillow-shading is incorrect is because it follows flat shapes rather than focuses on how the three-dimensional forms are lit.
    So, it is possible to use a frontal light source, so long as you pay attention to the forms:
    Also I would like to point out that you are going from light on the edges to dark on the inside, which ok with back lighting as the object in question is silhouetted but I would suggest keeping the edges shaded rather than highlighted and then having the light striking the center, examples can also be seen in the quote.

Other than that they look good I like the colour's you chose
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

Teen Member
    Thank You both Jorgie&Demon for the Input.

I think im going to redo some of the Pics tomorrow (Or today after some sleep )
    I'll try to keep in Mind what you both mentioned about the Shadings and the Highlights.

Especially thanks Demon for the really nice Information about Pillow-Shading. Didnt even knew this. But after i read it i have
    to admit that this is exactly whats always kinda disturbing myself looking at the pics.

I hope to be able to post some updated/redone Versions tomorrow xD

Greetz

Nonsi

Teen Member
    Okay,

this Time i'd like to get Crit's for 2 Things i've done.

1) I found a nice Tutorial on making own LineArt's without GraphicTablet and tried it with my Hinata,
    and i tried to keep in Mind what you told me about Positioning and Proportions

2) Colouring, i tried to take (in Mind) a Fixed Lightsource from where the Light should be coming
    and added Highlights and Shadows acording to this (i hope so )

So pls gimme Input, i still wanna get better

Greetz

Nonsi

There is too much gray in the whites of the eyes. The whole loaks like it's gel-like. A face shouldn't have those highlights. The bridge of the nose looks really strange; it's too far from the eyes (due to the eyebrows being so long) and then it just ends for no reason. The lines of the hair are all pretty straight. When you're doing this kind of shading, the hair highlights are generally almost in a horizontal line.

Did you even use a reference? If not, make a habit to. Reference will really help you learn where to place shadows and highlights. Here's one I found on Google:
    SPOILER! :

Teen Member
    Hey Ppl,

i managed to finish my First completely selfmade LineArt on the Computer (Only using Mouse and PTS )
    I tried to keep Track of everything you all said already bout proportions, distances etc.

So pls gimme something to work with.

I know the Mouth looks a little Odd, had no idea so far how to add in Toothlines or something xD

Greetz

Nonsi

Ok i will just give you a light comment to make it better .
    Since you used a computer so its editable .
    1. Length of mouth erase half of it .
    2. Eyes well make it a bit small.
    3. Eyebrows don't make it so bold . Just give a simple curve line. Also decrease the length a bit .
    4. Add half more hairs in head .
    I think these changes will look a bit better.
    Take your time and apply these.
    Advice:-
    use references
    fanarts.
    Wait for others for heavy tips. Thats all.
    Last edited by trilokcool3; 08-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Since you colored my pictue you get a hint:
    Shoulders slope downward.

ALso a recommendation to learn to draw, Andrew Loomis' books are free online, just use google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.