Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

  1. #31
    Palindrome Member ClockHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    I don't nag it, I just don't like copying.
    It's okay, just don't get upset if things do not end as you imagine.

    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    I think that copying a reference you find on the internet, especially if it's of a person, is as bad as stealing the picture.
    So if I copy a reference of an apple I see on the market I'm stealing the apple? Look, this is why I'm okay with artist copying each other styles or poses, its because art is in it principle "copy based", we started at copying what we could see, and with time we learned to manipulate that to make it what we want to be. And with more time I learned from those people who did that to start exploiting qualities we want of those drawings. Art is build on copying, this is how we made little steps on developing art, just look at modern street art, it is just a filtered version of pop art and design on the most part.

    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    as the person on the photo or the owner of the original picture have not agreed on you drawing it.
    Following the same idea, if every person would be like that we would be sinking art. The whole deal in art is to copy as a base of progression, we copy, we might not do big changes, other people might do very bold changes, but the fact is, we copy, and with every copy we make progressions or at least changes. If people start being like "I don't agree with others using my work for their improvement" we are just going to sink.

    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    However if you only use the anatomy or the base of the objects or surroundings, you do not copy the art and therefore make it more original and own as well as not stealing something you do not own the rights of.
    You can still copy the whole thing and say "it is based of X opus, made by Y". It's not stealing if you recognize the source and you don't recognize the authority of the work. I think you have things mixed, stealing art is when you basically take something from someone else and take complete authority over the work, using references is just copying what you see with out authority over the image.

    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    No matter what you say, I will only use references to see the base and anatomy unless it's a person I'm about to draw and got the rights to draw them. Though even then, I'll change the pose and clothing (as for the draw an mt member thread).
    I don't want you to change, I don't even care. This is just too funny to let it go.

  2. #32
    Lucky Member eltoroguaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    797
    the whole stealing part is for people that copy the exact character! Say, if someone were to draw my dragon and claim it as his, I'd be really damn pissed! However, if he just use the pose or the dragons anatomy, I'd not mind it. It only counts if they draw another person's character without permission.

    Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

  3. #33
    One Thousand Member JJJorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,659
    So... are you changing your opinion? Because you just said that copying a picture as a reference is stealing art.
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 08-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.

  4. #34
    Super Senior Member Demonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    2,928
    Everything we learn in life is based off of references in effect. For example, how do I learn biology? Well I pick up a book (a biology reference) written by somebody and I learn what the author has written by essentially going over and mimicing his understanding by what he has wrote so that I can have that same understanding. If he has written crap then I learn crap, similar to references. You are using a picture drawn by somebody that knows what they are doing to learn yourself.

    Back to the biology example, if I was to use that information I had just learnt in a debate then would that be 'copying'? No it wouldn't, it would be me applying what I learnt for a logical use and also going over that information to further remember it, just like when referencing in art so I can begin to learn techniques or how the body is in different positions. However if I were to then say, all that information I worked out independantly and using my own inginuity. That would then be stealing, as the information was not researched or discovered by me.

    I can't think of any better way to say that there is a large difference between copying/stealing and using it to improve. That should also show that everything involved in a learning process involves using references and mimicing somebody else's knowledge, whether that is from a book, the Internet or even a picture.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.

  5. #35
    Lucky Member eltoroguaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    So... are you changing your opinion? Because you just said that copying a picture as a reference is stealing art.
    Not changing my mind. I just rephrased it. I didn't mean that everything you copy is stealth. Only what is copyrighted. So Characters done by others.

    Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

  6. #36
    999 Knights Member toast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    the preakness
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    Not changing my mind. I just rephrased it. I didn't mean that everything you copy is stealth. Only what is copyrighted. So Characters done by others.
    except..when we speak about references, we mean photo references. To help you learn. This thread isn't about copying naruto to help you learn how to draw naruto

  7. #37
    Lucky Member eltoroguaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    797
    yeah I know. it kinda went out of track there xD

    Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

  8. #38
    Ying Yang Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    72
    So we can finish this and get back on track, copying becomes stealing when one of two things happen:
    1. The artists copies an original drawing and claims the idea as their own, without givin any credit to the original (not sure if it's illegal, but if discovered it ruins the copier's reputation).
    2. Someone makes any drawing of a copyrighted image AND sells it for profit or uses it in any sort of commercial manner (definitely illegal).

    Just wanted to clarify.

  9. #39
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    Artists have gotten into the habit of copying pictures to the tee without citing the fact that they used a reference. Don't do that. By doing that you are taking credit for a level of skill you do not possess.

    Aside from that, feel free to use references. Photomashing is also good practice. A lot of concept artists photomash a bunch of different, yet related objects to create a larger image. Like throwing together engine and train parts to create a mech. I might make a photomashing tutorial.

  10. #40
    Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Posts
    11,871
    Relating to the above
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •