Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

We humans do that because we cannot imagine something out of our world. why aliens on sci-fi movies always reminds of mixed by crawlers, reptiles and sea creatures as well as humans. Yet, there are some that can invent new stuff that is not connected to something else. The radio is an example of that. same goes for the satelites and the light bulb. I am sure there is more great inventors out there that can imagine something out of our world. Sadly, I am not one of them. My inventions can always be related to other stuff we already know of.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

Quote Originally Posted by eltoroguaco View Post
    We humans do that because we cannot imagine something out of our world. why aliens on sci-fi movies always reminds of mixed by crawlers, reptiles and sea creatures as well as humans. Yet, there are some that can invent new stuff that is not connected to something else. The radio is an example of that. same goes for the satelites and the light bulb. I am sure there is more great inventors out there that can imagine something out of our world. Sadly, I am not one of them. My inventions can always be related to other stuff we already know of.

Those inventions are new applications for things already existing, aren't they?

A drawing that seems totally different than what's been done before is just a new way order of combining the old shapes and techniques.

On topic:

Nice PSA, Now maybe I can feel less rushed to be able to draw really well with no reference.

on the mater of creating, unless we change our brain structure and reality, we are mostly unable to create something completely new. The new creations as cellphones, satellites, etc, are more solutions for a problem which was already bond to our realities in that moment. Even more, its interesting how in different times design of different objects were related to the aspiration goals of that time, by example 70s cars which many start adopting a "spaceship" shape the more climatic was getting the space campaign on sending a man to the moon.

Also on top of what ClockHand said, a lot of techniques and technologies are developed from old methods or technologies, they are just made from something that already existed prior to but with a different use and as Iori put it, they just change the way it's ordered and get a different function

Ying Yang Member
    I was thinking "blah blah references" throughout the whole OP like usual, until the learning a language metaphor came up. It completely changed my view, in a good way!

Even if the creation cannot be referenced, the basic shapes and textures can. Everything is made up of basic shapes when you break it down, and I highly doubt you plan on imagining and drawing a texture that does not exist on this planet.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Function is a good word to build on for this question. For a light bulb or a satalite it's shape and design are dictated by functionality. Cellphones aren't round because that would be awkward to hold and not functional. There probably were not models to go off of for these ideas so ones needed to be create out of the blue. Everything has basically been created so the only thing you can do now is to build on what is there now. Make it smaller make it bigger make it more functional. I can make a phone that creates a hologram of the keys or what ever and have it mounted to your wrist. That doesn't exist but the closest thing I can think of to this would be a watch so that would be my base and I would add to it till I get what I want.

So it's pretty much impossible to get an "original" idea that isint inspired by something else. That's perfectly fine. Avatar the last air bender is totally unique IMO but it is inspired by so many things and some are cliche but it's pulled off in a great way. It's how you add to it that makes it original and yours.

Well as you said, everything we make is based on what we already know. Well then, if we do this by default, why do we need reference?

Well as you said, everything we make is based on what we already know. Well then, if we do this by default, why do we need reference?
    Isn't it because our brain isn't very good at piecing what we know or imagine together into a coherent image making it difficult to put it onto paper or onto the screen, but after many studies and lots of practice from reference this ability becomes stronger and eventually leads to the ability to just know where things in space should be. Something like that I think.

well... I look at pictures, animals, surroundings outside my window and whatnot every day and I pay good attention to how things is placed and works. I use those as my ref. I look at them daily and remember them for then to draw from my memory. I doesn't use the reference beside my art and draw straight from it. It's not that I disagree on references themselves, but I disagree on how to use them.

Personally I just feel that by not having a reference physically there, i'm increasing the chances for my brain to misunderstand a placement or the proportions and end with a larger mistake than when I had what ever the reference was physically there, in whatever form. Obviously this is my problem that I need to get around, you will have your own set and as you are much more experienced they are also probably very different, but just keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.