Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Use references, otherwise you will not know what you're doing.

I honestly cannot stress this enough.

I would like to take this time to show you something someone wrote that you need to take into consideration. This is why you need to use a reference in art.

Your mental image library of objects in nature tends to be 'generalized' so your brain can recall it easier. Until you have trained your mind to recall and 'see' things properly, you will draw with what you think they look like.

Basically, why you use reference is so you can draw "what it really is" (what you need to do) vs "what you think it is" (what you are doing right now). Once you practice enough with reference, just start taking reference away.

Putting it into another context, if you are learning a new language and you don't know how to say a specific thought/word, you don't attempt to formulate the word by making it up with what little knowledge you have of the language, right? You save alot more time and energy to just go look the word up.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    God! Listen to this woman. All of you!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    One could always use references ...
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Ya i totally agree, references are the best source. My art teacher once said that
    God gave us eyes so that we can look at a SUBJECT, gave us mind to ANALYSE the subject and hands to draw again again and again till we perfected in the world of arts.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    I want to add to this!
    Ok I have seen and read that people think that if you use photo reff it is just "art ganking" and you are less of an artist because you arent good enough or imaginative enough to do it without help. WRONG!!! It is so easy to mess up the anatomy of something you need to use reff. Even with architecture. To use it all effectively tho you need to understand perspective and proportions to tho. But just because you used reff doesn't make it good. If you just want to try and recreate something that's fine but the real point and fun of it is to make your own. Add new clothes or scenery or take things away. Change the expression or put your OC in the pose. Possibilities are endless when you think about it.

And when you can't find the pose or reff you need make your own. There's millions of people out there that will pose for a photo if you ask. Tell your friend or family member to strike a pose and snap a few shots for some personal reff. You can even be your own model. Just remember that if it feels uncomfortable it will probably look uncomfortable and unrealistic.

what about fantasy then? If you are to draw something that do not exist. How do you reference that?

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

You can combine the anatomy of humans and animals or animals and other animals in an infinite amount of ways. References don't necessarily have to be something you copy down line by line.

that goes for living. But what about not living objects? If you're creative enough to invent something you cannot mix by different pictures.

Watch me on: Twitter, Facebook and DeviantART

ya u can

Like what, give an example.

You can always find perspective grids and basic shape references that you can combine to build something new.