Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching From Manga to Graphic Novel

Exclamation Switching From Manga to Graphic Novel

So what are your guys thoughts on novels/graphic novels as in :

1.popularity
    2.money
    3.easiness,etc

I need a comparison on mangas and graphic novels - novels aside from the obvious stuff.

I don't think graphic novels are as popular to manga/comic book readers. For one, they tend to cost a little more (usually around $25) & you'd probably have a little difficulty find all but the most 'popular' titles in graphic novel format at your local comic shop. The good thing I CAN say about graphic novels is they usually are compilations of a complete volume of a title & in my opinion, worth the extra $ if you don't wanna dish out that $15 or so bucks per one issue of that same title.

But hey. All my synapses don't fire, so what do I know?

Graphic novels and mangas are same shit with different names.

Burt if you want some kind of difference between both it would be the narrative style (which for my is a mean less difference), as the graphic novels is going to use a narrator, from both a omniscient narrator to a protagonist narrator or a side character narrator. This quality is extremely debatable today, as the whole fact of placing a image in front of the reader, immediately state the participation of a narrator, just that he would be using a visual narration, while the other would focus on a written narration.

Anyway, both are the same thing. Only weabos don't see it that way.

Well, obviously there are style differences between manga and graphic novels. You're really taking this 'they're the same' thing too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

^
    Yup. I'd like to add that not all graphic novels are done in a narrative style. Like I said above, a lot of graphic novels are compilations of a existing volume of a comic/manga that is visually driven.

No, from the beginning comics where differentiated from graphic novel for the narrative style, which now is not a real difference between both as the line is jumped all the time. And we all know, comic and mangas are the same thing with different names. To be honest I don't see any difference between both mediums, as they are on the same medium, they both use draws on panels to narrate a visual story followed by dialogues, textual narrative. If you have these elements together you are basically talking about comic, graphic novel and comic books, and all those are the same, because they are tied by the same definition of the medium.

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    ^
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

One tends to differentiate between literature (at least fine literature) by where it came from. There's a significant style difference between Russian literature and French literature - Russian literature tends towards nihilism and a grim vision of the future, while French is almost certainly going to have something to do with some sort of academic point being made. The content and style of the work is shaped by the culture it comes from. Even taking more recent authors like Haruki Murakami and Umberto Eco, their work is informed by the cultural past. This is what postmodernism is all about: works existing in a cultural context rather than as distinct and self-contained pieces. Manga and graphic novels are the same medium, yeah, but they're still almost totally distinct.

Saying that Japanese comic books are the same thing as American ones is like saying Proust and Joyce are similar. They were contemporaries and writing in the same medium! Cultural context has nothing to do with the work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I know that this might be alot to compare but like....Whats the main difference between Novels-Comics-Graphic Novels...?

The reason I ask,is because Im not that great of an artist to try to pursue Comics,and itd be hard to find someone professional who is willing to do it for free,or free until we can get published.But I also Dont think I'm cut out for the weekly basis of submissions,etc

On the other hand,We have Novels-or just books...where I can make a popular series book,similar to Harry Potter Books,But I was thinking that Id want a few drawings within each chapter so it shows the reader what the characters - scene will look like through my eye,etc...

Idk,Im a bit confused,and dont know where I want to go with my story.Advice?

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    A light novel is like that. Or you could just have some illustrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.