Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting started bicycling

u know a lot about bikes. So u have a fixed gear bike? I've wanted a fixie for a while but idk. I have a hybrid right now but it's rusted to shit and idk how much repairing it is gonna cost. I gotta replace the chain completely and idk about the gears. How expensive is a decent fixed gear, do you know?

Also with bike sizing for James, a good way to tell if your bike is the right size straight away is that you should be just able to touch the ground with your toes while you're on the seat

Um I used a sizing guide but my inseam and height are in like 2 different categories. Without shoes I'm almost exactly 6 feet and my inseam is 28-30.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Um I used a sizing guide but my inseam and height are in like 2 different categories. Without shoes I'm almost exactly 6 feet and my inseam is 28-30.
    Ah, yeah, that's tough to size. If you google around you can generally find people with given heights/inseams talking about what worked for them - otherwise, calculate your top tube length and try and size off of that. What's really fun is that a lot of companies have their own sizing charts... shit's tricky.

@Hayashida: Freewheel, technically, but the difference comes down to a certain cog on the rear wheel. The Kilo TT that I linked before is considered one of the better fixies; it runs a bit under $400. Check out bikesdirect.com for some more options... there's also Amazon but most bike forums will hate on any bike Amazon actually sells.

Wait nvm I measured my inseam wrong. According to this calculator I need a 57.

Lights can be way cheaper than $100 dollars btw... you dont have to get top of the line lights

$100 isn't top of the line if you count front/rear together... this is top of the line :P

That being said,I believe my current set cost me $70 as a single item, and I'm really satisfied with them.

@Jubeh: That sounds about right. The bigger size of the Kabuto would technically fit you then - within its reviews you can probably find someone who's 6" talking about the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    @Hayashida: Freewheel, technically, but the difference comes down to a certain cog on the rear wheel. The Kilo TT that I linked before is considered one of the better fixies; it runs a bit under $400. Check out bikesdirect.com for some more options... there's also Amazon but most bike forums will hate on any bike Amazon actually sells.
    cheers man. So wait is a freewheel where the rear tire can rotate without the pedals moving as well?

Yeah, exactly that. With a fixed gear, if the wheels are moving, the pedals will move. The two big advantages of fixed gear are that a) it's better conditioning for 'real' riding (track cycling is done on fixed gears) and forces you to maintain a cadence and b) you have control over your speed besides just breaking.

The downside is that you can't coast....and coasting can be pretty nice at points :P

Anyway, most if not all fixed gear bikes have a freewheel mode, so you can always try both modes out.

I definitely want a freewheel one since there's so many hills around here. Coasting is like half the fun of cycling imo

LOL. I'm a dutch person let me tell you something, we are THE CYCLE COUNTRY. D:<

I would say get a used bike, a lot cheaper. Get a bike that fits you, or else you will have back-problems while riding. Go to stores that sell used bikes, usually the imployees can help you out, ask if you can sit on it and stuff to see if it really fits. BE SURE IT HAS A CHAIN-GUARD. or else you'll get dirty pants like me xD.V(check everything when buying a used bike, you never know what might be broken.. and see if the stores have a guarantee or something)

For a bike not to get stolen you need a good lock, do you also know if there is any surveillance with your college parking place for cycles?
    Try to park at places where people can see it, usually people don't steal cycles in broad daylight with people watching.

Be sure to handle your own route, how much time do you need to cycle from A to B, and also put in a " tired " factor lawl, be sure to always bring a bottle of water when cycling... i get thirsty after even 10min cycling in this weather xD.

We don't need any protective gear here, since riders have their own roads and shit, but people who cycle fast and shit do wear one.
    Is it dangerous while cycling wear a helmet. here's its like super safe so its all cool.

I'm looking for a new bike for college (just going to buy a used one...) The one i have now is all broken and stuff.
    Be sure to keep your bike tidy as in, dont let it fall to the ground much use the stand because something might break, dont make it stand in the rain unless you HAVE to...

Don't forget to grab more lunch lawl... you get hungry from cycling..

ALSO BICYCLE LIGHTS? man we can buy those cheap LED ones for like 2 euro...
    Last edited by Byakuran; 08-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.