Thread: Addiction. What is it and why?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".

Addiction. What is it and why?

What is considered an addiction to you?
    Is it all mental? Physical need? Both?
    Can anything be an addiction or is that only reserved for drugs and alcohol?
    Do only the weak, desperate, and damaged people of the work become some sort of addicts?
    Is recognizing your own addiction any help in the end or does it need to come from an outside source?
    Do you think you have one? Know anyone with one?

You don't have to answer these all! These are just starting points and things I want discussed here. Pick one or start from where ever you like. You don't have to say "Hi. I'm an MT member and I'm an addict." or name any names for that matter.
    I start all my threads like this because it requires some participation on your parts to think about the subject without being lead into my own opinion. THREAD GO!!!

I thing there need to be a discrimination between addiction, obsession and dependency.

I think it is both a physical and mental effect, I know that for example with drugs if you take them often enough your body develops a requirement/dependancy to take said drug or else the body cannot function and goes into withdrawal symptoms as I'm sure many of you're aware. I believe this is explained best with drugs that act on the receptors in your brain which function for 'happiness', eventually after taking said drug for a while your body becomes used to a certain levels of the drug in your blood to release a certain volume of the hormone which gives off 'happiness' so after time your body cannot produce a satisfactory amount of the hormone (I believe in some cases the hormone is dopamine) naturally and so starts to need the drug so 'normal' levels can be reached.

That's how I believe the physical and dependant side works. However that is for substance abuse, if you bring into consideration say... Being addicted with a computer, if I were to hazard a guess when you play a game or what ever it is you do you get this similar rush of hormones which expresses happiness, but maybe your body becomes accustomed to a certain amount being given off by the stimulus (in this case the computer) and so again the body becomes unable to produce a satisfactory amount due to the heightened amount being released by the stimulus? This is purely guesswork so it's more than likely wrong but that's just how I imagine it would work.

As for mental addiction I have little idea how that would work, but I'm sure it has an equal effect alongside the physical. Hopefully this didn't go off on a tangent :P

Side note: I believe almost anything can become 'addictive', anything you do to much could be bad for you, however the negative side is likely expressed in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I thing there need to be a discrimination between addiction, obsession and dependency.
    Yeah, that would be helpful
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-12-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Banned
    bzt whirrr
    Last edited by jubeh; 11-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    What is considered an addiction to you?
    Is it all mental? Physical need? Both?
    Can anything be an addiction or is that only reserved for drugs and alcohol?
    Do only the weak, desperate, and damaged people of the work become some sort of addicts?
    Is recognizing your own addiction any help in the end or does it need to come from an outside source?
    Do you think you have one? Know anyone with one?
    IMO addiction certainly is both mental & physical. To me addiction is like a pattern (for good or bad) that has become so familiar that you're almost subconsciously doing it....whatever it is you're addicted to. We all do something that we've done for years & when you try and stop that, you wind up repeating the same patterns until you create new ones to correct the old ones.

Chemical addiction takes this & adds a physical aspect to it. When you body's dependent on something it can make your conscious mid do shit that falls way beyond the norm to get that. So, yes the addiction has now infiltrated both mind and body.

Weakness of will, drive, or mental illness doesn't make one more suspect to having an addictive personality. Hell there are probally more functioning addicts than destitute...& that takes more strength than you think to keep your affairs in some kind of order while you feed your addiction.

Ultimately only the person who's addicted can liberate themselves from its clutches. But they have to really want to. Only then can outside help truly work & even then it isnt certain unless they work at it to stay sober.