Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Perfect" Difficulty

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Dark Souls felt grindy and annoying as fuck to me for the first 6 hours. Then I got it.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Dark Souls kinda has a difficulty curve that takes into account how many times you'll have to repeat areas because you died to bosses, which is like auto-grinding. You won't really have to go out of your way to grind, unless you're beating bosses too fast...which is a totally different story.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Undead Burg

That is all.

Of course, the last time I played the game I was in New Londo, and those ghosts are just on a new level of annoying.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

wario land: shake it

Hm that game was easy enough to beat but getting all the secrets and stuff is where the real difficulty was.

ya

it took me the better part of a whole day to get to the final boss in undead burg, mostly cuz i kept thinking the dude with the club at the bottom of that big staircase was the boss

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Yeah but do you remember having to grind for grass in demon's souls.
    oh yeah i forgot about that haha

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    How do you feel about games that are designed to be particularly challenging? Gaiden, Megaman Zero, Dark Souls. Do you feel like it's too much of a niche market, or that the challenge is a strong selling point?

From what I read, like a crap ton of people swear off the Gaiden and Zero games because the first in each series was far too difficult. Dark Souls though kind of successfully sold its challenge to a lot of people.

If a game isn't challenging it has to be seriously amazing in some other category to impress me.

Storytelling as a whole in games is pretty poor, so the other mediums are really better for that. So either show me that you have an understanding of interactivity, emergent gameplay, or make the game balls hard.