Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Prince of Angels' Heaven of Artwork (Critiques Appreciated!)

101 Dalmations Member Prince of Angels's Avatar
    Okay, thanks. I'll try that next time.
    I am the Prince of Angels, high monarch of the heavens, and I crush all those who stand in my way!
    Would you like some pie?

On the contrary with what JJ said, make sure to keep your strokes nice and confident even when you do make them slightly shorter, they look far superior than quick choppy and nervous lines. Also try to breakdown your subject; whether that is using negative spaces, a skeletal frame or doing what you did before and use basic forms and build it up, and experiment with guidelines (within reason, they need to obey some form of laws or else they won't make sense and won't give correct placements).

Also do pay attention to symmetry, don't make me find some medical journals ranting about the importance of biological symmetry xD

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Hmm, two or three days ago, huh? Well first of all, my suggestion is to observe. Observe, observe, observe. Take a sketchbook with you everywhere. This doesn't have to be difficult or complicated.

1. Try breaking down your drawings into shapes. What is this object's basic shape? A building, car= rectangle/square. Bicycle tire, donut= circle/oval. Cones and cylinders too. So OBSERVE, take that sketchbook you got, go out, and start sketching objects using basic shapes. And stick shapes together too. Practice... a lot. (For an example on shapes and people, people can be broken down into blocks, sticks, or circles. http://www.learn-to-draw-and-paint.c...w-people02.gif )

2. Try 3D. It's complicated to explain, so check out a book or something. Basically, if you have a square, you'll "cube" it, people are 3D too, although getting that across is a little more complicated. (Think in cylinders, or better yet, a sack of potatoes!) Observe objects in real life and try to replicate the 3D-ness, look at the lines for help. How can that object be broken down into basic lines/shapes?

3. Shading. Again, observe. See how the light falls on different objects. Look for the black spaces. Experiment with shading using different pencil gradients.

4. Texture--- this is more complicated, and takes a lot of practice. Just observe, and keep in mind what type of surface you're trying to imitate. Rough or smooth? Is this person furry? Or do they wear silk?

Just some tips, keep in mind that the most important thing to do is observe and practice.

-Rebel
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Oh i just wanted to say that if you'll go 3d try Daz studio. lol. Just try. You can familiarize yourself with the contours of the human body with it. its so cool! But if you get confused with the interface and all, or if it takes too much time then just leave it... just wanted to say since animerebel said something about it.

PS: I'm not a promoter or anything just saying...

http://www.daz3d.com/
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

HERE i want you focus on this LITTLE THINGS .....

OK so you are NEW i guess.....don't worry ....
    WHAT YOU LACKING ......
    first of all 1: Your HANDS are not free. This is because your hand is shaking a lot while drawing , you can notice while making long curves or a straight line or circle etc.
    2: Try to analyze by looking to yourself infront of a mirror, you will get generall idea of proportions like
    a>> see what is the length of your hands, how far does it reaches ?
    b>> how big is your head compare to your body.
    c>> how joints look like
    ok now ABOVE I HAVE SHOWN YOU. I tried to show you each part hoping that it will help you.
    you know THE BEST OF ALL is that you start drawing FANARTS ( copy characters from manga page or something like that )
    REFERENCES as all saying will help you then any other thing .
    ok this is it i will be saying.

@THEAnimeRebel Oh man, that is going to be so friggn awesome, carrying around my scetch book around school, draw lockers, get late to class. :3 Hehe, I'll risk it.

@Meeshar Void Hehe, when I get into the digital arties I'll give it a go, is that what you were using? I saw pictures and I thought that was PS or SAI I wasn't sure.

@TRILOK Ah, thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! You pointed out things that were wrong in my AP II that is some awesome sauce, thanks!
    I am the Prince of Angels, high monarch of the heavens, and I crush all those who stand in my way!
    Would you like some pie?

Well, I've tired my first block-art-type-thing. (Minecraft, Lego, etc.) So here I have a Han Solo firing half a gun. (Stupid sketch book, too short. X3). I had a lot of fun on this considering it was my first time trying this out.

Crits Appreciated, before I actually attempt at colouring.
    Would you like some pie?

I think you need to be a bit more observant of the proportions, the legs are about hald the size of the torso, but if you look at an actual lego minifigure;

You can see that the legs are about the same size as the torso.

Oh my,you're right. *Facepalm* I'll fix that before Thursday. Thanks, Demon!
    Last edited by Prince of Angels; 11-04-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Capitalizing "Thursday"
    Would you like some pie?