Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Paranormal: Thoughts?

  1. #11
    Palindrome Member ClockHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,789
    I'm a man of science.


  2. #12
    Super Senior Member Demonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    I am a man of science. p much everything I've thought was freaky and could be a ghost or something I've found out was something totally explainable. I wish ghosts and stuff were real though cuz that would be rad as hell
    This

  3. #13
    Super Senior Member Outcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    (・ω・`)
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVermillionFox View Post
    I would have posted the other video, but I broke my camera *facepalm* and the computer I saved it one crashed. Man, that would have hit it on YouTube.
    Oh really now? And I saw jesus have gay butt sex with stalin but I had nothing to record it with.



    Any I'm not entirely convinced it's false or that it's real, I think all "paranormal" have something to do with people's heads.

  4. #14
    Devilish Member Black_Shaggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere near the Grus Quintet
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    This
    I also concur.

    Science can debunk a lot of things. The paranormal being one. I've a theory about energy in general that could explain away a lot of what we call the paranormal. I think, since energy permeates almost everything that & their so many different kinds of energy, oftentimes people may confuse the effects of energy on their minds as bearing witness to the paranormal.

    Latent psychic energy of an incredibly 'magnetic' or willful person can easily be confused for a ghost.

    Plus people wanna believe so they'll spend any weirdo account way the fuck out of proportion...I've even done it. Now if you wanna really focus on the paranormal or supernatural...examine the details of your dreams more closely.

  5. #15
    Ying Yang Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    72
    I don't believe in the physical existance of paranormal beings, but if someone convinces themselves something is real, or their brain tells them they saw it due to a condition, and they act on that belief, then that apparition is as good as real to that person. Heck, people can disprove the existence of the Christian God, but the mere idea of God has caused multiple wars, thousands of deaths, and many charitable acts, as well as the creation of architecture, literature, and musical compositions. Not bad for something that doesn't exist. Also, willing suspension of disbelief can be quite enjoyable and entertaining when there are no serious consequences for believing one way or the other.

    I actually do believe in magic, however. We all have little moments of magic sprinkled within our lives. When you look an an image and know that even though you can describe it, you will never be able to describe precisely how it made you feel to anyone else, that image contains magic. When you recognize and accept that the sequence of events that has unfolded was, in the end, due to chance, yet your gut still tells you it that everything fell into (or out of) place for a predetermined reason, you've experienced magic.

  6. #16
    One Thousand Member JJJorgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,672
    There are a lot of weird going-ons that happen, but I do think it's more paranoia than actual "ghosts". Yeah, I have yet to see actual video footage that can't be explained by science, cool machinery, or tricks of the eye. All those ghost catcher shows can be easily planned out and edited; it's not like they're broadcasted live. It's easy to hallucinate sounds, images, and feelings (of being watched) when you're scared or extremely tired.

  7. #17
    Regular Member whenrabbitsattack2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AAAAAAEEEEEEEE SEXY LADY!
    Posts
    156
    i'm kinda on the fence about this one.
    one of the reasons i think people believe in spirits is so they can believe that death isn't the end.thinking that death won't be the end of there exsistence is simultaneously comforting and frightening.
    if our conciousness does exsist after death, there would have to be a reasons for it. for most people there isn't one, but a particulatly strong emotion in the dying person could cause their conciousness to exist as an emotional energy manifestation of that person. i don't believ in apparartions and stuff though. and the spirts that do exist, i don't think they're vengeful. just sad.

  8. #18
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,912
    Our consciousness cannot persist after death and it is absurd to assume otherwise. When you destroy a computer, are the programs on it still running?

    Our body in general and our brain in particular is the hardware on which our minds run. When our hardware has ceased to function in any way, shape, or form, what reason is there assume that the software continues to run?

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  9. #19
    Devilish Member Black_Shaggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere near the Grus Quintet
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    I actually do believe in magic, however. We all have little moments of magic sprinkled within our lives. When you look an an image and know that even though you can describe it, you will never be able to describe precisely how it made you feel to anyone else, that image contains magic. When you recognize and accept that the sequence of events that has unfolded was, in the end, due to chance, yet your gut still tells you it that everything fell into (or out of) place for a predetermined reason, you've experienced magic.
    I disagree here. Magic is merely science shrouded in mystery & eventually can be explained as such [science]. As some folks here know, I practice taiji chain & qi gong. Both the martial art & the mediation cultivates a practitioner's sensitivity to cultivate & channel chi. Simply defined, chi is merely the electro-magnetic field that's generated by the earth & our bodies. With practice, one can learn to manipulate their own chi as well as the earth's to accomplish some pretty amazing feats---and not just physical stuff. Mental & emotional effects as well.

    The concept of the seeing things that you cannot explain as being magical is, and excuse me for my bluntness here, is a primitive & illogical way of thinking imo. Also, what you describe as chance being magic is just the randomness of chance itself.

  10. #20
    Ying Yang Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    I disagree here. Magic is merely science shrouded in mystery & eventually can be explained as such [science]. As some folks here know, I practice taiji chain & qi gong. Both the martial art & the mediation cultivates a practitioner's sensitivity to cultivate & channel chi. Simply defined, chi is merely the electro-magnetic field that's generated by the earth & our bodies. With practice, one can learn to manipulate their own chi as well as the earth's to accomplish some pretty amazing feats---and not just physical stuff. Mental & emotional effects as well.

    The concept of the seeing things that you cannot explain as being magical is, and excuse me for my bluntness here, is a primitive & illogical way of thinking imo. Also, what you describe as chance being magic is just the randomness of chance itself.
    I knew I should have watched out when I said "actually." I was really suggesting magic as a feeling or emotion rather that something that exists physically which, givin the context of this thread, is very misleading. That being said, I did specifically state I wasn't referring to things I can't explain; rather, I was referring to the gut reactions to wonder and chance that, somehow, remain in certain people even after they've experienced, understood, and accepted the rational, scientific explanation.

    It's similar to the discussion on sea monsters we had. Just because we can explain and classify a giant squid, does it really make it any less monstrous? Just because we can explain chi with science, make the fact that it works any less impressive or magical?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •