Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vesta's Path Away from Noobville

How big is your drawing, if you don't mind my asking? So long as you're not working at a very small scale, you might find it easier to get a smoother tone across large areas by using a softer, non-mechanical pencil like a B or a 2B.

when i usually make heads they are usually around 1.5-2 inches (3.81cm-5.08cm)

I am somewhat feeling discouraged, in drawing I feel there is little to no improvement/it still isn't turning out how I want it to but I feel like that is a natural thing to feel.
    Last edited by Vesta; 04-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made - FDR

When your drawing only a head and you want to make it a serious piece of art, I definitely recommend drawing it bigger (especially since your a beginner). This will help you add more detail and keep you from having to work in a scrunched space. And, don't get discouraged! Huge improvement does NOT happen overnight. Just kept working at it, use guidelines, and actually study true anatomical faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Happy Easter
    Thank you everyone for all your helpful infomation.
    SPOILER! :
    Scan0025.jpg Also I'm not sure if I'm pressing down too hard on my pencils but they keep wearing down often, or maybe its the paper...or my imagination. I am still somewhat confused on the bodies, is there any books someone could recommend for me.
    SPOILER! :
    For the first time I looked at my stuff from the when I first posted and now, and I can finally see an improvement, but there is always room for more improvement... stay thirsty my friends

I do have one concern mainly with the eyes... when U look at them they usually have a lot of contrast and I have trouble getting that and the little variations in color. 2ndly The pupils, when make them I really don't know where they are suppose to go, and they usually look rather... uneven. Lastly the shiny parts of the eye. I really want them to stand out a bit more and look less derpy
    Last edited by Vesta; 04-23-2014 at 04:19 PM.

I don't think there's any great mystery to placing the pupils - they should just be in the centre of each iris. You could always draw in a light guideline right across both eyes if you're worried about getting them level. One thing I would suggest is to try darkeneing up the pupils a bit more. Different people have different stylistic approaches, but conventionally, the pupil should be the darkest part of the eye. At the moment, I find my attention is drawn more to her eyelashes, as they're noticeably darker than the pupils.

If you want the highlights to really stand out from the rest of the eye, you could always try dabbing a little tipp-ex into them once you've finished the drawing, just to give them that pure white quality.

Hello poeple I made a smaller version of this and a larger version then im going to trace the larger version on to a better peice of paper i want to see if there is anything i can do to make the other ones better.
    SPOILER! :
    First picty Scan0027.jpg
    SPOILER! :
    2nd pictyScan0026.jpg Now i need to figure out how to add cloths and make them look like cloths rather than painted onto the body *edit*-I change the size of the wings to match sizes in the vertical direction
    Last edited by Vesta; 05-13-2014 at 09:22 PM.

I like your progress aiming to get better proportions on your drawings but I think, going back to Bunnyvoid's very ressourceful post in the first page of your thread, you should do a buncha figure silouette drawing with shapes. It's important to avoid getting an habit of drawing alot of still poses with a loose hand. That'll improve your art a lot, and you'll be able to focus on smaller details later such as hands, feets, hair and other details you dont wanna go for until you understand body gesture well enough. So go ahead and fill up pages with poses. You don't even have to draw faces! It's all in the posture!

I need help with figure drawings, when I try to draw them they look like blobs of graphite which barely look like a human figure. I'm sure I am doing something incorrectly or not focusing on the right thing. Sometimes I gave up in the middle of the drawing because it looked so unnatural, and it looked nothing like the figure.
    SPOILER! :
    001.jpg002.jpg I would put more pictures but my printer is giving me a hard time
    Last edited by Vesta; 06-17-2014 at 01:14 PM.

It looks to me that you're just trying to get the outline of the figure down. I wouldn't recommend that. Try first creating a basic stick figure, it's proportions don't have to be 100% accurate. When drawing the stick figure, focus on the curve of the spine and what point the weight is focused to (I.e. If the persons leaning on their left leg, that would be where the weight is focused). After that, THEN add basic shapes like the torso and hips. Remember that figure drawings are just meant to help you quickly put down a basic but recognizalble pose
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

First time I focused really on clothing, but I have to say I despised the paper I drew on for this picture.
    SPOILER! :
    001.jpg
    SPOILER! :
    Sorry if I do not do many poses, I'm still very new to it, also since I have a lot of spare time over the summer, and I will have pretty much nothing to do so I will be drawing a lot in that time period. I'm really considering of getting something to use to draw on the computer with like a Wacom, and wondering if it could help me in anyway.
    SPOILER! :
    I will be taking some short(one week) art classes over the summer so hopefully that will help me as well
    Last edited by Vesta; 07-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.