Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vesta's Path Away from Noobville

DRAW ON PRINT PAPER AT LEAST!!!! PLEASE!!! Especially really intricate pieces like this. They deserve more than notebook paper. Lines writing is for writing. The lines are a distraction from the art and notebook paper is just too thin to really work with. So if you have white paper available, definitely use it instead (printer paper is super duper cheap, too).

Now, it's easy to see that you drew the legs AFTER you drew the dress. Draw the entire figure first!!!! BEFORE the clothing. It'll improve your anatomy and make more sense of the drawing in the long run. Also, I know hands are a scary concept, but the sooner the better so stop hiding them!! Next to no one constantly has their arms behind and it's a boring pose. Either the knees should be higher or the calves should be longer. The nose is really high on the face and the face is really high on the head. The inner outline of the breast on the right shouldn't be there at all due to the clothing NOT cupping it. Since the perspective is 3/4, the far should (one on the left) should be less visible as well as the far eye (when things are turned away from the viewer, they get thinner in length ((not height!)).
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I love this last one. She looks less flat and rectangular, especially in the torso than in your previous work. I can definitely see improvement. For detailed anatomy fixes, JJJorgie pretty much just covered everything. The only thing I have to add is that the feet look very small compared to the figure, and the arms have a certain noodle-like quality. There is a defined joint there, so they should be bent at the elbow, not curved. There is a lot of definition around the legs that I have not seen previously, which is good. I really love the dress design; it's interesting to look at and it makes me want to know more about the character and why she's wearing it. Character development and facial expressions develop along with technique, so it's great to see these details coming out in your work. Something fun to do when you need a break from hardcore anatomy practice is just to draw lots of faces with different expressions. Angry, sad, embarrassed, etc. Its fun to do, and is important to your work.

How do i make things seem like they more emotion? The previous things i did seem like they don't have any emotion.
    I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made - FDR

You can make emotions in many ways. Facial expressions and body language are the main ways to express how a character feels. Seriously, just make a face in a mirror and copy it down through a character. Even a simply curve of the lips can show happiness.

Here's a good ref for emotions, but I don't recommend just copying the pose. Use it as a little guide and try to create your own poses.
    SPOILER! :

Merry late Christmas ^^... Happy early New year then i guess.

Was trying to focus a little more on the face and cloths, cloths seem like they don't have texture, :\ and looks very flat like a new dollar, almost everything seems 1 layer esp the legs
    Dec 27th
    SPOILER! :
    002.jpgDerpy suitcase

Though i feel like the thing that troubles me the most is the side view like the ones on the penny and nickles.
    Last edited by Vesta; 12-27-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Necroed? Anyways this is some of my more recent things on heads, I do feel like there is a few problems 1 is with the eyes when i look at them and compare them to other eyes i see. Eyes have either one of 2 things it seems a definite light and dark, and or have a lot of different shades of grey (not 50 shades) and the lashes can differ alot however when I try different styles one of 2 things happen either the eye looks awkward and or displays the wrong type of emotion. The 2nd Problem I see is with the chin and side of the chin, im not sure what it is but something to me seems a little off.
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Vesta; 02-25-2014 at 05:50 PM.

The eyes are a problem compared to others you see because they're both the same width. The far eye will appear squished in a 3/4 perspective. A clear dark and light does help, and not just with eyes. Contrast is an incredibly powerful tool--powerful enough that entire books can be illustrated in black and white.

You're seeing an issue with the chin that actually stems from the position of the features. If the features were in their proper places, the chin would look all right. As it is, you've got everything aligned in odd positions on a straight line down the center of the face. While said straight line is technically correct, it ends up looking more like this:

You can align the eyes, nose, and mouth with a straight line, but in 3/4, the forehead curves back and you need to adjust for that. Otherwise you end up with an oddly shaped head.

A visual critique:

I left out some stuff because I need to go to bed in a minute. I'll get to it next time if someone else doesn't first.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-26-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Happy St. Patrick's day
    This is one i did earlier today for some reason I feel unusually fond for this
    SPOILER! :

One thing I do wish though was I wish i knew how to make my lines "cleaner"
    Last edited by Vesta; 03-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Clean lines comes with a lot of practice. Try to focus on long smooth lines, not choppy little short ones. It may seem a little uncomfortable and uncontrolled at first, but stability will come with practice. Also, try using your entire arm to draw, not just your wrist.

March 30th
    I feel now comfortable with the 3/4 view and front view, now i am going to focus on the side/profile view. One thing i have to say though, the shading with the hair, I'm trying to make it, I guess "stand out" a bit more however, it looks all too...*tries to find the words* gritty/dirty? It doesn't look smooth. I am using a different type of paper then I normally use, however. The type of pencil I usually use is a .5mm or .7mm mechanical no. 2 pencil.
    SPOILER! :

2nd Note I Did find something interesting. When I draw the nose and mouth they always feel out of place or off or looks awkward.

Question to the people, How long have you guys been drawing for, out of curiosity? 2ndly do you envision what you are drawing beforehand or while you are drawing? 3rdly how do you draw braids...?
    Last edited by Vesta; 04-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.