Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vesta's Beginning Work

Vesta's Beginning Work

Beginning are tough so i came up with an analogy "Don't try to eat everything at once chew your food or you will get indigestion and will feel bad"
    So i started with the head, then i will be working on different angles of the head. What is ok about this one and what should I do to improve?
    Drawing.jpg
    Drawing 2.jpg
    Last edited by Vesta; 11-04-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding more drawing

Either you mouths are too low, or your nose is too high. However for fear of being wrong I'll try and link you a video that helped me when first starting out(It's more manga than anatomically correct, but it gets the job done for now). But as far as beginners go I think your off to a good start and it's good to see you have a plan. Also try being a little thinner with the strands of hair, add some variety to it. But mainly take a loo at how others draw the head and see if you can learn anything from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iead90pR5lM

I hope this helps.
    Ippou jitsu mugai
    Kenkon toku ittei
    Suimo hou nomitsu
    Douchaku soku kousei

Here is some other things I did. I feel like I am drawing too small.
    Drawing 3.jpgDrawing 5.jpg

Remember Remember the 5th November the gunpowder treason and plot. I know no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.
    November 5
    SPOILER! :
    Drawing 6.jpgDrawing 7.jpgEars still look awkward to me,they looks like a demented cashew

November 12
    SPOILER! :
    Drawing 10.jpgFirst attempt at a body >.< i feel like something is funky with the shoulder. Just trying to get a feel for the head size thingy, was done waiting for appointment, had nothing to look at...
    Last edited by Vesta; 11-12-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added content

To make spoilers, use: [_spoiler_] [/_spoiler_] (without the underscores)

Okay, it definitely seems like you haven't looked at anatomy. I'll give you a basic overview.

1) Eyes are always halfway up the head
    2) Eyes are one eye length apart.
    3) Where the nose connects with the face should be in line with the chin in 3/4 perspective, meaning that this newest one's nose is to far to the right.
    4) The length of the nose is the same length of the forehead.
    5) In profile, the eyes are right at the between the nose and forehead. Also, they aren't directly on the edge of the face, nor are they too far back.
    6) The top of the ear is eye level.
    7) Hair doesn't have large points unless it's extremely gelled like that.
    8) Profile eyes aren't the same as eyes in other perspectives! Look at refs!
    9) Ears line up with the jaw line
    10) When drawing profile, be sure to show the bumps of the lips and chin.

Your heads have no rhyme or reason, nor do they remain constant to each other, so it's hard to critique. Look at real life images and use anatomy based on that. You can never have too many refs!!!

These are a few of my favorites:
    SPOILER! :

Last edited by JJJorgie; 11-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Hello lovely, I'm always excited to see new art because it always has loads of potential! Most of what JJ says is true, although it may be a bit overwhelming... However eyes are actually not always halfway down the head... it is good and fine to practice them like that, but they don't have to be. Also the nose length also varies. Faces have a lot of diversity to them and can look very different depending on the person.
    Heres an awesome, my absolute favorite, tutorial on facial diversity:

SPOILER! :

There are a couple of things I think you could focus on that would really help your art. 1. is the use of guidelines when you're drawing faces. I made a mini tutorial a while ago for another user... which if I find I'll put in spoilers. Although there are about a million helpful tutorials both on this site and on deviantart. 2. Once you figure out the spacing and how eyes work, it'll really help your faces come to life. The eyes are the window to the soul for a reason.

Regardless it's up to you what you work on and how much effort you put into it will determine how much you get out. If you ever get discouraged I highly recommend looking through the critique corner for users that have been around for a long time and haven't deleted their beginning work. (I know some of you have!! Come on guys, it may be embarrassing but its useful for the newbies!) You'd be surprised by how far some people have come! Anyway keep it up, can't wait to see what you make next!

SPOILER! :

Found it! Its not super helpful... I would browse around and see what you can find on guidelines and facial proportions.

Sorry I have not posted anything, been busy but anyways thank you for the really helpful information ill be sure to put it to good use
    Stuff from a few days ago i guess i cant remember exactly < needs to put dates on things.
    SPOILER! :
    Drawing 9.jpgDrawing 8.jpg just a random attempt at hands

Most of the faces' problems can still be fix by what Cora and I previously posted, so I won't get super into that.

With the hands, remember that fingers are different sizes from eachother; all yours are almost the same height.
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 11-10-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Actually JJ it looks like he/she (sorry I dont know your gender =-=) was actually practicing what we recommended! So I commend you Vesta. I see some eye practice going on and you're definitely trying to use guidelines. Your eyes look like they're spaced apart properly, and i actually do see some improvement. Its going to be a long journey, sorry about that - it's just how art is, but you've got a good start. I don't have any specific critiques on the hands. They look kind of rough right now, but the proportions aren't terrible. JJ is right in that they are very similar in size. The three middle fingers are close in size, but not the same. It's really the pinky that should be noticeably shorter. I would recommend maybe looking up some reference pictures and attempting to draw from them? It can be extremely helpful, and learning how to see what you're drawing - really see it - can be a skill in itself.
    Keep up the good work!

hey there, you got nice stuff going.
    i can see you've been researching on how to do things proportionately
    i suggest that you touch up with the very basics of drawings... lines or in plain terms stickdrawing! yay :3
    yes, just stick drawing. just draw stick drawings but follow me on these next few links i'll put up...

i think the fastest way to get better is getting better at basics and gesture drawings.

if you're like me who is lazy, you can use charts like these to your advantage. and pssst... don't copy them... observe them and how the artists sees his art manifest. if you get what i mean...
    SPOILER! :

tips on eyes and how they slant with different views.

for hair here is basic stuff that helped me lots. my best tip is to not dwell on details, be basic...
    SPOILER! :

same goes for body...
    SPOILER! :

see here that he starts with lots and lots of stick drawings... now that's basic but you get to practice very important things like proportion, fluidity, positioning of body parts, and assess overall look of the drawing

here he breaks down body in different masses and shows how they are proportionate to each other
    some tips on body differences between gals and guys

now apply that to the more curvy, mellow gentle form of female anatomy

For the hands and the eyes... but i suggest you draw more of the body first so you won't lose focusing seeing the overall picture...
    SPOILER! :

like what famous da artist, sakimichan, says in her tut
    Don't do the details until you have a solid structure done ,otherwise everything will fall apart.
    if you get what she means

then my best tip to get better fast is to draw lots and lots of stick and gesture drawings. whether it be faces or bodies.
    try doing timed drawings with http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond, can't explain too much but the think is to draw without thinking much. its very much like dancing... you don't really think... you just observe and copy/try it for your own, until you discover the best way to do it for yourself... (i hope it makes sense)

also download these stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPJD_4xKIM and maybe some pose stock from http://senshistock.deviantart.com/ and http://daposes.deviantart.com/gallery/. it has expressions and all...

last but not the least, find what you really enjoy drawing... for me, i realized that i enjoy drawing mafia themed bishounen and victoria secret models so that's what i draw. lol... hahahha :3 anyway good luck you got a nice start. keep it up...

its impossible not to get overwhelmed by so many great arts we see everyday but don't get intimidated, set them as your inspiration. you'll get there definitely... not overnight but maybe count a few months just constantly brushing up gestures, face expressions, and basically enjoying what you draw

this is exactly (liek litterally same post so sorry :P) what i suggest other artists here in cc to do... but i hope it helps because this is how i did it... if it doesn't work for you then i'm sorry but i hope it helps
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 11-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Thanks BunnyVoid for the information i find it to be very helpful
    SPOILER! :
    Drawing 11.jpg Attempt at a female body i was going for a short person like 5ft or 152cm, i do feel like the something is awkward though, however, i was also wondering if it would be ok if i attempted to try to make it into person. My art teacher is going to help me with bodies ^^