Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your game style?

Fallout, Dragon Age, Borderlands?

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    WoW?

Aren't fallout and borderlands more like fps? In all honesty though, for the most part all RPGs are really similar, and it's unfair to say that all western ones are bad in contrast to the Japanese ones, which are good, because that's completely untrue.

No fallout is more rpg than fps, and borderlands is an fps with hack and slash elements.

Also japanese and western rpgs are so different most people are split on them. Like I can't even stomach japanese rpgs anymore.

More like rpg with fps elements (well at least for fallout I haven't played borderlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 59
    No fallout is more rpg than fps, and borderlands is an fps with hack and slash elements.

Also japanese and western rpgs are so different most people are split on them. Like I can't even stomach japanese rpgs anymore.
    Hmm, I only played fallout 3 for about half an hour, so I guess that would explain why I thought it was a fps. Isn't the basic idea of RPGs the same though? Like, you get a character, level them up, get good equipment, defeat bosses, etc?
    From what I've seen my friend play, all Japanese RPGs at least are the exact same thing pretty much.

What I'm about to say obviously doesn't apply to all games.

Japanese rpgs are typically designed with a very static story in mind, which you have no say in whatsoever. This can be good if you want to tell a moving tale without the player fucking it all up, but it can be limiting for actual "role-play" like if you want to get into your character and stuff.

I don't like most japanese rpgs because in terms of story a lot of them are stuck in an anime ghetto, and the truly good ones are hardly recognized. The "Tales" games literally offended me by insulting my intelligence at every step, yet they are infinitely more popular than the MegaTen games which are straight up cyberpunk badassery.

Western rpgs usually offer more choices. For instance, you'll design your character and make choices that affect things throughout the game. This is rad for role-play, but bad if you fuck up any of the customization things or choose the wrong dialog options and get screwed over.

I don't like most western rpgs because they tend to take themselves incredibly seriously, but that comes with the roleplaying territory.

Fallout is rad though you should play it.

I might get New Vegas for the PS3 if I get some money sometime.

@Jubeh

You are right, talking on general terms. Western RPG are based on creating your character, get a good gear, earn some muscle and them kill the big boss (ie.: Diablo 2). Japanese RPG, general terms again, are closer to a book, tons and tons of dialogues, misteries and a lot of npcs (ie.: Persona4). In Diablo you almost don't see any conversation (the few ones can be skipped), but on persona 4 you have to wait almost 1h before the first fight.

Leandro is diablo the only western rpg you have played because it is not even really an rpg. It's a rogue-like inspired hack and slash about getting gear.

A better example of a western rpg is baldur's gate, planescape torment, or dragon age. Those games have tons more dialog then a typical japanese rpg but you won't see most of it because the choices you make will dictate what you hear and don't hear. For instance you could be fallout new vegas in maybe 10 hours but I spent 40 just going around doing everything. I heard war stories from old men, and made people shoot themselves. I dragged a man's dead body to an outpost so that his wife could give him a proper burial. I didn't have to do that, but it felt good.

I just don't think you've played the good ones if you think having "lots of npcs" and lots of dialog is a trait exclusive to japanese rpgs. Especially when all those npcs are just saying "Welcome to !"

Also how is waiting an hour to fight a good thing. That seems like an odd thing to praise. Every game should develop its own pacing.