Thread: Necessary Game.

Necessary Game.

The idea is this:

Go play this GAME (it will take a few minutes of your times) and tell your experience with it in here (with spoilers). From how you started, what did you thought you had to do, how did you confront it, etc. Be very analytic about it, and tell us (inside a spoiler tag) your whole experience.

Oh ya, don't read the experiences of other people if you haven't played the game. You are just going to run it for yourself.

SPOILER! :
    The game was loading pretty fast and ones it was done I click Continue without realizing that I didn't read the rules, which concerned me at first as I saw the game which were just dots.

Then I start pressing the right arrow too see what happened, which lead me to see that this dot was moving to the side. Then I thought: "then the up and down arrows are going to move it in a vertical direction". So I pressed the up arrow, and the group of dots start moving, so I stopped to think: "if I can move my dot and those dots, probably I have to capture those dots, like clashing against them". So I start trying to capture the dots, to clash with them, but they just run away.

A new group of dots appear, I thought I was probably wrong and I had to evade the dots, so I tried, but the same thing happened. So I pressed down, without knowing what it could do. I thought the dots would come normally, so I wait some minutes and nothing happened. I thought it was over, but I deny the idea that this is over without trying other things, I didn't want to miss a possible experience from this, so I press the up and down button, without knowing what I was doing. After a while some dots appear and so I notice that I didn't move the dot groups with up or down, but I was just moving the "Events".
    I try to get inside the dot groups, try to touch them, or something, but they just went away. So I notice: "okay, wait, I get this, this is about loneliness, so I'm forced to be alone, I'm never going to be part of those groups, so what's the point?".

Still I keep moving, I keep trying to touch other dots, but not thinking on "I'm going to find a dot I could touch" or something like that, I was just enjoying it, I was just thinking "you know, even so this is about being lonely, Its kinda hard to feel lonely if you keep pushing the up arrow, dots are still coming down, you are not lonely if you could get between so many dots". So I enjoy it, I was just happy to "touch" every dot I could, and when they went away I didn't care, it was in their nature, and it was in mine in just feel joy. So I wasn't alone.

But obviously the game got darker and darker, and in here it strikes me. This was not just about being alone, it was about the life of my dot, that he (or me) is going to die at the end, his life is going to end when the game finishes so I start questioning myself "is he going to be happy, he met a lot of other dots on the road, not the best friends for ever, but he made many friends, and there was nothing else to do, still, he never was like the others and he would never be like them, he is forced to die without other dots at his side". For some reason, while keep thinking on the value of his life I never stopped pressing the up arrow, it was in my nature to not stop death, to not stop the nature of things and to finally, enjoy it and be happy with what was given to me.

My finger, pressing the up arrow, was the fate and my dot had nothing to do against it. I make him meet a lot of other dots, touch them a little, pass through his life, is not much, but it was a very entertaining trip that I at least enjoy. And for me, whats mater is what he have and had, because even the most tinny touch between other dots, is something to be happy about.

meh...
    SPOILER! :

I'll admit anything that calls itself a nongame tends to gain my instant dislike as by nature nongames tend to be either 1) Artistic for the sake of being artistic or 2) trying to deliver a message usually in a heavy handed manner two things that if you'll pardon my french Foutre si je n'aime pas non plus, but i figured i'd give this as fair a shot as i could.

so starting with a title like loneliness i had a decent clue what to expect but none-the-less i went in with the simple instructions of using the arrow keys to move and spent a split second adjusting to what i was moving before getting on with things. i promptly head for the first cluster of other dots and rather predictably they scattered before fading away, i moved towards a second set of dots with the same reaction, with the third set of dots i intently chase one dot to try and catch it and see what happens. nothing. from this point i just start moving forward with the game avoiding the dots as best i can since chasing them does nothing worthwhile.

As i started to get near what i assumed was the end though i became curios again as i saw a solitary dot by itself, i figured i would move towards it and see if anything was different, it was not so i went back to what i was doing and avoiding dots. the ending was as heavy handed and vague as i might have thought (so Koreans (it was Koreans right?) are lonely and depressed, that terrible but beyond this game 'simulating' loneliness what does it have to do with what i just played.

this is not to say the experience was a pointless exercise, about halfway through the game i started thinking about how this was kind of similar to my own life experiences, as i found large groups of people wanted little if anything to do with me i just gave up and avoided getting in their way and bothering them becoming a lonely person as much through my own decisions as those around me. this did lead to a little introspective moment near the end. do all the dots run away, or are their a small few who won't run away if you bother to pursue them...?
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    The idea is this:

Go play this GAME (it will take a few minutes of your times) and tell your experience with it in here (with spoilers). From how you started, what did you thought you had to do, how did you confront it, etc. Be very analytic about it, and tell us (inside a spoiler tag) your whole experience.

Oh ya, don't read the experiences of other people if you haven't played the game. You are just going to run it for yourself.

SPOILER! :
    The game was loading pretty fast and ones it was done I click Continue without realizing that I didn't read the rules, which concerned me at first as I saw the game which were just dots.

Then I start pressing the right arrow too see what happened, which lead me to see that this dot was moving to the side. Then I thought: "then the up and down arrows are going to move it in a vertical direction". So I pressed the up arrow, and the group of dots start moving, so I stopped to think: "if I can move my dot and those dots, probably I have to capture those dots, like clashing against them". So I start trying to capture the dots, to clash with them, but they just run away.

A new group of dots appear, I thought I was probably wrong and I had to evade the dots, so I tried, but the same thing happened. So I pressed down, without knowing what it could do. I thought the dots would come normally, so I wait some minutes and nothing happened. I thought it was over, but I deny the idea that this is over without trying other things, I didn't want to miss a possible experience from this, so I press the up and down button, without knowing what I was doing. After a while some dots appear and so I notice that I didn't move the dot groups with up or down, but I was just moving the "Events".
    I try to get inside the dot groups, try to touch them, or something, but they just went away. So I notice: "okay, wait, I get this, this is about loneliness, so I'm forced to be alone, I'm never going to be part of those groups, so what's the point?".

Still I keep moving, I keep trying to touch other dots, but not thinking on "I'm going to find a dot I could touch" or something like that, I was just enjoying it, I was just thinking "you know, even so this is about being lonely, Its kinda hard to feel lonely if you keep pushing the up arrow, dots are still coming down, you are not lonely if you could get between so many dots". So I enjoy it, I was just happy to "touch" every dot I could, and when they went away I didn't care, it was in their nature, and it was in mine in just feel joy. So I wasn't alone.

But obviously the game got darker and darker, and in here it strikes me. This was not just about being alone, it was about the life of my dot, that he (or me) is going to die at the end, his life is going to end when the game finishes so I start questioning myself "is he going to be happy, he met a lot of other dots on the road, not the best friends for ever, but he made many friends, and there was nothing else to do, still, he never was like the others and he would never be like them, he is forced to die without other dots at his side". For some reason, while keep thinking on the value of his life I never stopped pressing the up arrow, it was in my nature to not stop death, to not stop the nature of things and to finally, enjoy it and be happy with what was given to me.

My finger, pressing the up arrow, was the fate and my dot had nothing to do against it. I make him meet a lot of other dots, touch them a little, pass through his life, is not much, but it was a very entertaining trip that I at least enjoy. And for me, whats mater is what he have and had, because even the most tinny touch between other dots, is something to be happy about.
    SPOILER! :
    Your game experience is pretty much how I went about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    So here are my thoughts on it:

SPOILER! :
    I was at first, curious about what exactly a 'nongame' was having never heard the term before. Having loaded up the game I glance over the instructions and find it strange that the game asks me specifically to wait until the end of the game. I click to start the game anyway.

Confronted with the cloudy background and black square, I assume the square is me and start to use the arrow keys to advance forwards. The first thing I see is an arrangement of other squares which I assumed I had to avoid. So I began avoiding them on purpose for some length of time. Eventually I realised nothing was really happening so I decided to approach a group of squares instead. Well as I do this, the squares move away from me, which I think is no big deal; maybe the aim is to drive them away. Now I'm purposefully driving the arrangements of squares away from me by charging at them. I do however come across one pattern of squares that form a triangle and these don't run from me. They move a little but I catch up with them and join the group and for a short time it seems like we're moving as one unit. Eventually though they either fade away or are driven away in the usual fashion. This confused me because I thought I'd cracked it. Annoyed I again begin driving squares away on purpose thinking there must have been an error. But soon I do join another smaller group, which eventually leaves me in the normal way as well. After a while I also see the lone square and approach it thinking that was the solution. It waits until I'm almost right next to it before fleeing from me as well. I then head forward as the screen darkens to black.

So there's my description of how I played, now this is what I read into it as I went. I think the message at the end is far too narrow for the message of the game. I was surprised about the extent to which it emulated real (or at least my experience of) life. Let me elaborate. You begin the game of life with a little guidance (the instructions at the start screen) from your parents but soon you find yourself out in the world alone. Throughout my life so far I've spent a lot of time avoiding people because I was a very shy child. The part I spent avoiding other squares nicely illustrated that. But then eventually I realised I was lonely and looked for some friends. Things were hard and not a lot of kids wanted to talk to the shy kid (hence all the squares moving away from me) but I was able to make friends with a a decent sized group in the end (when I joined the triangular pattern of squares) At that point in life, you think things are set, you think that's how the rest of the 'game' will go, you and your friends moving together. But situations change and things become difficult with that. Most of those friends except for your closest best friends tend to fade or are driven away, just like my experience in the game. Angry that I'd lost most of my old friends, I adopted the 'I don't need anybody attitude' which I think everyone feels at some point or another. This was the period in the game I spent annoyed at the error and drove all the squares away from me on purpose. But eventually you find new companionship and you move with them for a while (just as in the game). But the majority of them are to soon fade away as well.

For me at the end there were 2 squares moving independently that were unaffected by my approach which I thought represented the close friends you have managed to carry through life. And there was then a final solitary square which faded away on my approach which in real life of course hurts the most.

But one think I did notice, is that through the hole thing, I never let go of the up arrow. Even when I could see the screen getting darker in representation of death, I didn't let go. But then, by the time I had let go it was too late and the square moved into the blackness on its own.

As I say, I think the end message is far too narrow for the representation as I experienced it. In hindsight, I do wonder if it's called the necessary game because its the game of life which no one has any choice in playing?
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo

At least the creator decided to call it a notgame. If every piece of interactive art is considered a game then there are a lot of shitty games floating about.

SPOILER! :

So boring. So bored. It's also inconsistent with any of my experiences about loneliness. Chasing people away is considerably harder than just keeping them away. I get that it's about Korean children but I can't relate to this even if its a widespread problem.

So my experience was holding up the up key to see if there was an ending. When the ending text popped up I actuallly laughed. It's not because I don't think that child loneliness is a bad thing its because I once played a terrible game on XBL Indie Games about a dog who caught musical instruments falling from the sky. The game was obviously incomplete but at the end the developer said he had made the game for charity purposes and that everyone who bought the game would essentially be donating to a good cause. It's not the same but it reminded me of that.

I played this, then watched the new Extra Credits. I was all like, "Someone from MT actually watches this show? Awesome!"
    SPOILER! :
    I went forward at first, skipping the first group altogether, but then I realized I may have been missing the point. So I dispersed the second group and then went back to the first, then kept going. That all the squares moved away was kind of obvious, but I ran straight into them anyway. I tried running into another square at about the fourth group, and when that failed, I mostly realized the point of the game. I knew, going from there, that my square was just a reverse gravity field. I drove, straight forward, through the entire game. I didn't care that I dispersed all the groups. I knew they'd all run away, and I wanted to keep moving and see what message it was going to give me. Actually, breaking up the lines of squares that moved like cars in a road felt somewhat good (not a deep feeling at all, though).

Though I avoided some smaller groups near the end, I did try to approach the motionless square, thinking it might be the "answer" to the whole thing, but about 99% sure it'd move away like the rest of them. It moved away, of course.

So. Impressions. Did I relate to it? Not wholly. Everyone's been lonely, but I wasn't in tears at the end or anything. I was slightly annoyed that the unmoving, single square near the end was susceptible to my anti-gravity field as well, but not too much (a minute or two later, I realized that that square was supposed to have been another who went through all alone, and who rejected even you in the end, and that the groups were steadily getting smaller, possibly indicating that the further the squares searched for companionship, the less they found--additionally, there was that one square circling itself). I didn't connect with this notgame in the way I think the creator intended me to, though I certainly see where he was coming from, and I'm not about to discredit it as a "pretentious art game," because I genuinely think an experience like this could help some people through a lonely-related struggle (though I'm not sure about the total isolation in the end, despite a pseudo-reassuring message).
    Last edited by Matt; 08-08-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Elaborated reasoning

SPOILER! :
    Wasn't really looking at the loading screen took forever for the page it self to load up, so I was doing something else.
    The first thing I noticed was how much the piano annoyed me so I muted the game.
    Kept going up trying to avoid the dots as much as possible then noticed eventually that the dots leave when you get close to them and that they become less and less as you go up.
    And at the end it showed him saying something about korea I think and kids being lonely and how this somehow has something to do with them. Overall IO didn't care for it. I personally am not very social so it didn't really bother me at all.

K
    SPOILER! :
    Oh this music p relaxing, I don't mind. Howcome Kevin Macleod is in like everything ever. Maybe it's because he makes good background music, or maybe he works for cheap...

Why are these blocks running away from me, do I smell or something. Wow why am I telling jokes in my head, ugh. I wonder if it's because I know I'll be writing this down so I'm trying to think more interesting things. Wow. Okay what if I zig zag through this group of squares, maybe they'll find me cooler. Nope.

Okay so what if I just evade a group of blocks, will they stay where they are? Yup I guess...but I don't feel as accomplished. Oh what the hell I paused for a little, and 3 blocks started coming towards me then went back. What is this. I don't understand. Also, that clump of blocks look like an arrow, kind of. Oh cool this one looks like a helicopter, I get it. CLEVER.

So whens this game going to end. Do I get scored in the end or something. Oh wait the screen looks like it's getting cloudier! I don't know if that's just my imagination or progress is actually being made. Oh man so he finally found one other block, but that block ostracized him too. Man that's just too sad ): Now it's all dark and cloudy. Actually these dark clouds are starting to make me feel uncomfortable, like what if this turns into a screamer?!

Wow now I can't see anything. Oh, what does Korea have to- oh. Awww, that's sad. But shouldn't you want to make them feel not lonely. Or is it one of those things where like, say when you're sad, you listen to sad music and that somehow makes you feel better because you can relate? I don't know, but the notgame was alright.

Also fantastic post, clock

You know if you zoom after a square fast enough you can catch it which makes the whole game dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.