View Poll Results: Do you think I draw well for my age?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 80.00%
  • No

1 20.00%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TVF's Critique Thread Yehaw

Yeah, I assumed you were confused about some critiques. If you need clarification, don't be afraid to ask people for it. And, the capitalization wasn't in anger, it was just showing how important those studies are. I can't stress how important anatomy is.

If you don't know what to look for, make a liist of any suggestions or critiques that people have given you, make a rough sketch, and go through checking the list. Also, for neater lines, try using the lines/vector tools. The chibi's really cute!

Right this is how you should go about getting your heads correct;

Here are some examples of head studies, your new best friend;

SPOILER! :
    (1) Practice of head form and in different orientations and angles; (try to ignore the arms and the failed body)

(2) Taking my knowledge from the head form study and now practicing detail and placements of facial features;

(3) Rei/Sutari Head Sketches (Example of how detailed you can go into them and how awesome you will become with time);

Right look what I did, first of all I concentrated only on the form, making sure to get them correct and only putting in brief indications where eyes and stuff go. Also note that there are many ways to draw heads so make sure to practice different head styles as well. I also make sure to try many different angles, unless you have particulr problems with one angle then make sure to do a variety of them or you will find you won'tbe able to draw heads at the large variety of angles that we as humans can put out heads into.

After doing that quite a number times and making sure I was happy with the head forms I then made a couple more and this time put in detail trying to make sure placement was all correct but at the same time paying attention to what I had learnt previously. Also practice accessories and different head styles again as this will all effect the final outcome. Then I post them up, get feedback and repeat.

You may have noticed that I have done this a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and the reason is because I've only just realised that the heads I drew had several problems. Now I continue at least every week to do a head study because even though in manga anime style the heads are simplistic compared to anatomically accepted heads, they still have their own respective complexities which do require working on. Now, i've only had about three major head studies using that procedure and the amount of detail and form of the heads have improved is astronomical compared to when I begun, still lots of room for improvement but they are getting somewhere. Try this and your problem will begin to iron itself out. They can also be fun exercises if you want them to be a good example is how Rei draws heads (provided in the spoiled section), they are amazing, why? because he practices them constantly xD and I think you would benefit from doing the same

Also practice drawing nice flowing straight lines out on paper or on whatever CG format you use. This will help make you more confident in your line work.

Other notes;

> Use references if you require them to be able to visualise how the neck joins to the head and just to help with angles etc.
    > Really make sure to post them up, it's the way you can identify you're mistakes so you can concentrate and fix them.
    > Don't use my heads as reference, they have many flaws, especially long necks... keep doing that >.>'

Hope this helps

Edit: Thanks Rubisko ^_^ changed it now
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 09-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.

^
    Only not shape but form. Yes, form were the correct answer

The chibi looks like it was made with a minecraft angle to it, in which case I have to say that it looks very minecrafty indeed. However, to build upon the form thing, blocks have form as well. The chibi now only constitute of shapes, which make it flat. If you use forms to build with instead, and of course put them in perspective, your figures will seem more substantial and three-dimensional. Read "fun with a Pencil", it kicks

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    @Rubisco: You mean like sketching out the Chibi using shapes with depth or something? That could work.

Okay so here's my new method. I'm gonna draw some body parts in different views on a page, and your going to help me fix what I need and I'll wrote the concept down on paper. Kind of like taking notes, sound good? JJ Gave me the idea.

Eleventh Entry: 3/9/12

First up; basic head poses.

Next up; advanced head poses.

Third up; misc head poses.
    I am actually Roy Mustang.

First head: not bad! The eyes are too far apart (remember: only one eye length apart). The ears are small (in thickness, not length)

For the next two, here's a really great guide:

So, for the second: the ear and the jaw go too far back. Also, the forehead could be a little more pronounced.

Third head: For 3/4 view the chin needs to be over to the left a ton more. And, even in this view, the eyes are still only an eye's length away.

I can't say i'm very happy with posting up a red line thing as I am no expert but it's the easiest way to get it across;

What i'm trying to show is that on the very slightly turned face is you have the axis going straight down like you would in straight forward pose which would make it a straight forward pose, to fix it what I've done done to the right of that is draw in the centre axis and move the face axis slightly to the left of the centre and then build the jaw around it so it actually is turned, hopefully that makes sense.

Obviously as JJ pointed out with that link, the more the face is turned the more left the face axis will go.

---

Edit:
    See for the slightly turned one just start from scratch again and post it up, slightly adjusting the chin won't work as effectively as just making a quick redraw

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    How's this?

I am actually Roy Mustang.

Pretty good actually, especially the profile.

Oh yes, try not to use lined paper..

Redraw the slightly turned face from scratch again, but make sure to take in all the points we've made this time, it's the one you're having problems with so I suggest drawing several of them this time

Uh, sorry, but... didn't you say you were completely done with the MT forum and made fun of a lot of it's members on one of your DA journals?
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 03-26-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!