Thread: Zfox88's Beginner stuff

Tween Member

Talking Zfox88's Beginner stuff

So the thing about being a beginner is... Struggling to improve without getting discouraged

Tried following Rio's tutorials on drawing Manga style faces. The front gave me a good feeling after I saved it. The quarterview didn't turn out so well... This character is my creation btw, which I am calling Lucy for now. Unfortunately, Lucy is just a floating head currently

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

I also tried my hand at copy drawing a videogame character using a reference image from the Tales wiki.

SPOILER! :

Any feedback would be appreciated~
    Things that I know I suck at: Shading, creases in clothing and hair. I've looked at many articles going over hair, but I can't seem to get it right!

October 30, 2013 -

Tried another front sketch and decided somewhere in the middle to try giving her a body. So I took a look at multiple things trying to get a good feel for proportions. Hopefully I'm on the right track with this.

Sketch:
    SPOILER! :

Top layer:
    SPOILER! :

I'm naming this one Rika. Before anyone says anything, yeah I kind of cheated my way out of having to draw the hands

November 5 - 2013

Not a lot of time to draw lately. I've taken some advice and tried to make my lines smoother and make the clothes look less like a rubber suit and more like actual clothes. Also tried doing the whole body in quarterview with one hand facing the 'camera' and the other turning away. This was a really fun one to do, albeit very time consuming. Is her body perhaps too small?

SPOILER! :

As the Japanese would say: Jishinsaku desu!

Last piece, but with color.

SPOILER! :
    Last edited by Zfox88; 11-06-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added content.

Hey! Welcome to MT First of all I just wanted to say I like what you've got going on here. Theres definitely some awesome potential, especially in the way you draw eyes. I love it! I think you have a great grasp of how to draw the main facial features, but their placement on the face makes the image itself look a bit wonky. (for lack of a better word) I thought that instead of trying to express it in words I would do a bit of a redline for you. I don't usually because it always feels a little bit weird, but i thought it would be the most helpful.

SPOILER! :

In this one I didn't do any drawing on top of it, all I did - literally the only thing I did - was select the jaw and mouth and move them up a bit. There was a lot of excess space between the mouth and the bottom of the jaw and it looked a bit like the face didn't belong.
    I also moved the mouth closer to the nose, but that was just me getting carried away. It wasn't really necessary.

I got a bit carried away here too. I meant to only draw over the outline of the face and I wound up doing the hair too. Notice that I did not touch any of the facial features, just the face shape. It was really sharp in the cheeks and the chin didn't quite line up with the rest of the face. It was also just a tad bit long. You can barely see it but I also drew a slight dotted outline of the bald head and the hairline. Doing this can help you make sure that the hair is placed properly and that the bangs are starting at the hairline and not above it.

I would really love to see what kind of guidelines you use when drawing faces, if you use any. I know sometimes people don't think to use them, especially in the beginning, but they can be really helpful. If we see how you are starting your drawings it gives us a better idea of your process and helps us to help you. So yeah, just be careful where you place the features and maybe observe people around you to see how real faces are structured.

Keep up the good work! Hope that was helpful

Tween Member
    Wow thank you.

As a matter of fact, I actually do use guidelines. I'll show you the first layer that I did of the front view in SAI.

SPOILER! :

Now that I think about it, I should probably do another cleaner layer before I start doing the actual lines. For some reason, I seem to have misplaced my SAI file for my quarterview of Lucy...

For my Yuri sketch, I used very minimal guidelines as I was using a reference. But I also did a lot of improvising as well so I will upload that one too.

I appreciate your feedback very much!!!

Okay, for this newer one, The torso and waist is toooo thin; her head wouldn't be able to be held up. The arm looks very noodly; adding better structure to the sleeve would probably help that. The sleeve itself should be coming off the arm; right now, it's super skin tight to the point where they must be fused (every piece of clothing comes at least slightly off the skin). The eyes are different lengths and heights as well as being positioned differently on the face.

A bit problem you have is super scratchy, short lines. Practice loose, clean, long strokes that flow into each other. It will REALLY improve your art once you get the hand of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

These are really good! Wow, when I was a beginner my faces did not even look like humans, are you sure you have never tried drawing manga before? So, a few little tips for the 3/4 view, remember that there is a head underneath the hair, and that hair almost always will not stick to the head. In your picture, the back of the head seems to be too flat. I know that Corastaur already said/showed you this, but I thought I would write it out again. Not sure if any of that made sense...
    Also, the mouth on the one you named Rika (nice name btw - very Japanese) could be a little higher/larger.
    You really do not have much of a problem drawing hair, you just need to practice drawing it more!
    ''When you do something wrong, it is not a mistake. It is a lesson.''

Tween Member
    Thank you for your feedback Jorgie and Unmei!! My lines are something I know I need to improve on. Which is funny because I know I can do smoother lines, but have this weird habit of sorts that make it look like I'm trying to scratch something into stone .

Appreciate the advice~

@Unmei

Generally my first sketches don't really look human until I've pretty much got black lines everywhere and I'm drawing with the eraser tool more than anything else... Until a few weeks ago I never even considered drawing manga. Although when I was younger I did draw other things from time to time; but not really as a hobby.
    Last edited by Zfox88; 11-05-2013 at 04:53 AM.

u got nice sketches going, i like how solid the lines for your inks go too. and the face proportions/ placing is also very good for beginner stuff! so great job...

i got some tips for you on other stuff :3
    1. I suggest drawing the full figure first before dwelling on details cause i feel like you've been focusing too much on hair strands/ eye lashes/ etc.
    2. Do timed gesture stick drawing figures before settling on one pose.
    I suggest this because i see that you're having difficulty with body's pose and proportions. Drawing these gesture drawings will help that. Try at least ten figures before settling in the actualy drawing you wanna make. I usually do about 30 per day, each for 30 to 60 seconds each. They're just stick drawings so don't get intimidated... See http://www.posemaniacs.com/thirtysecond for more info :3 please don't get intimidated... this will really help like a lot!
    3. Keep up the practice, you're doing great

i posted this up to other mt member's critique corner but i'll also put copy in your thread

i think the fastest way to get better is getting better at basics and gesture drawings.

if you're like me who is lazy, you can use charts like these to your advantage. and pssst... don't copy them... observe them and how the artists sees his art manifest. if you get what i mean...
    SPOILER! :

tips on eyes and how they slant with different views.

for hair here is basic stuff that helped me lots. my best tip is to not dwell on details, be basic...
    SPOILER! :

same goes for body...
    SPOILER! :

see here that he starts with lots and lots of stick drawings... now that's basic but you get to practice very important things like proportion, fluidity, positioning of body parts, and assess overall look of the drawing

here he breaks down body in different masses and shows how they are proportionate to each other
    some tips on body differences between gals and guys

now apply that to the more curvy, mellow gentle form of female anatomy

For the hands and the eyes... but i suggest you draw more of the body first so you won't lose focusing seeing the overall picture...
    SPOILER! :

like what famous da artist, sakimichan, says in her tut
    Don't do the details until you have a solid structure done ,otherwise everything will fall apart.
    that's all hope those helped!
    Last edited by BunnyVoid; 11-11-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Additional
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/