Thread: Head Heights

Head Heights

When I'm drawing I tend to be incredibly specific and try to be very precise about my drawings usually using rulers and other means to check that everything is in order to the best of my ability (usually for it still to be wrong) in particular I tend to be very specific when measuring head heights and always try to make sure that they are in place. Due to my scrutiny I also find that it increase the time it take for me to draw some quite a lot and ends up restricting me on difficult poses. I also tend to use quite a numver of guidelines when drawing usually associated with these measurements. I was wondering if this habit of mine which makes me check everything over and measure everything is actually being a hindrance and is restricing me from improving as quickly, and if it would be better for me to just drop it? And if so if I could get any tips on how to make myself break from this habit, everything I draw uses these guidelines and measurements so dropping them will be more than a challenge :/

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Don't drop it. Be looser with the rules that can be. Draw lighter guide lines. Use a light box to trace the image you want to keep onto a new page.

I definitely agree with Psy! Like in the Priates of the Caribbean, "more like guidelines than actual rules". Guidelines are just guides; their purpose is to help. If they hinder you, that completely defeats their purpose. Don't have your main focus be making sure they're perfect. That'll take away from your actual picture and make you dread drawing something.

I see what to do now thanks both of you

when you try to be so precise you tend to forget other important aspects. ball park stuff in %s and design accordingly

Ying Yang Member
    Keep using the guidelines if they work for you, but if there's a conflict between the guides and what your instinct tells you is right, go with your gut, not the guides.