Thread: Tips

Tips

Hi there,

Alright, to be honest the tutorials on the website are good enough but... they are a little pro-oriented I think, it's a bit difficult for a total beginner like me.

Anyway, I tried a lot but I can't seem to be able to draw hairs right, I think it has something to do with how i'm trying to draw the lines but... Here's a picture (don't be harsh, i'm a real beginner !) :

I'm always trying to start from top, go down, and then go up again with a backline curve.
    How are you proceeding exactly when drawing hairs? Do you have to start from the bottom? I'm a bit clueless.

If you are really a beginner start with some of these stuffs:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ly-d36b67j.png

My advice is to start with real human anatomy and figures with depth and perspective. And let anime stuffs for later.

I actually started with something similar ^^
    Still, your examples sounds harder, there's quite the list of details when you want to draw a "real" body...
    I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

Edit : I didn't went into such details because I'm more an hobbyist than a real artist. (Bad I guess)
    Last edited by Kryel; 08-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Ying Yang Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryel View Post
    I actually started with something similar ^^
    Still, your examples sounds harder, there's quite the list of details when you want to draw a "real" body...
    I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

Edit : I didn't went into such details because I'm more an hobbyist than a real artist. (Bad I guess)
    If you're just doing it as a hobby (like me) and don't want to put in the time and effort learning real human anatomy, my advice is to find as many references as you can of hair in professional anime and manga. Google images, impressive fan-art, actual manga, or still images of anime scenes. Don't just look at the hair as an object, look at how it is constructed: how many lines are used, what kinds of lines (smooth/rough, straight/curvy, thick/thin, etc), and where the lines are drawn, as well as what kind of shading and tones go into it.

For anime drawing, even as a hobbiest Clock is right; if you want to get to a point where you are satisfied with your drawings, it helps to learn real human anatomy and drawing basics. But if you really just have fun sketching out anime characters, learn from the source by analyzing what the pros do when they draw and applying it, heck, even copying it when you're first starting out (remember to give credit though!)