Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing things for selfish reasons.

Who cares why you do nice things, so long as you do nice things? Does it matter?

I think it's probably one of those things like 'does anything other than me exist?' that are interesting to think about but ultimately irrelevant, and I'm saying that as a philosophy student.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ok check it. imo I feel that everything we do is essentially for selfish reasons...even helping others without reciprocation. You'd do those things because you want to & its desirable to you. We perceive the whole of reality through the 1st person perspective & that's the "self".

Ying Yang Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Who cares why you do nice things, so long as you do nice things? Does it matter?

I think it's probably one of those things like 'does anything other than me exist?' that are interesting to think about but ultimately irrelevant, and I'm saying that as a philosophy student.
    Well the question "Why do I do nice things" is often followed by "Should I do nice things?" which is a valid thing to wonder. Isn't it often easier to do something when you know why you are doing it, outside of pure habit?