Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lineart help ? (For SAI)

Lineart help ? (For SAI)

I have been drawing using SAI for a long time and i can't figure out on how to make it nicer.I feel like my lineart is not clean enough and i couldn't identify the shadow coming from the light source properly.Also after i've coloured them it looks perfect for a while until I started to feels like its 2d-ish because of the lineart.Lastly while I draw the lineart I find my lineart really stiff too and I couldn't find a way to Not make it stiff.

Soo how can I improve it or any other way for me to make it make the lineart better.

BTW:I've seen his/her works here :https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3634166&type=3 and I want to noe wht did he use to make tht lineart ? o.o

To me, it looks like they may have used the normal pen tool for that, but im not an expert so im just guessing

as for your problem, could you maybe post a picture or two or your lineart so we can see what it's like? that'll help us be more specific on how to make your lineart 'better'. do you use a tablet or a mouse?

Post up a picture please

Also are you vectoring or are using a tablet and pen tool?
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

You can find my end result in my deviantart page.
    First of,I don't normally use vector (unless its for buildings and furniture stuff) and second I use pen tablet to draw out the lineart.

I think this is probably as clean as it's going to get! If you think the lineart's too flat, add various weights to the lines instead of just using one size. Do you have JTablet installed? JTablet helps variate the thickness by pressure when using a tablet pen.

There are a few things you can do to help improve your lineart in Sai.

First, you can increase you stabilizer to make your lines less jittery and more smooth. The amount you want depends on your computer power and how fluid you need things to be. Too much and your computer runs slow (if it cant handle it) and too little and it looks jittery. I have mine set at 10.

The second thing you can do is add line weight. You can do this while drawing or afterwards. I would suggest you continue how you are now. Then make a new layer and add the weight you want. When you are done you can merge down. Doing it on a new layer allows you to delete it easy if you do not like it and keep what is below clean.

The other thing I do is to not use complete black for my lineart color. I use a darker gray but it stands out differently than black. Fortunately, you can just hit preserve opacity and color your lineart with different colors and see how that affects your outcome.

Lastly, when I finish coloring I set the opacity of the lineart down a little. It helps a little to let the colors show more than the lines.

After looking at the artist you posted in the first post, I think I know how that kind of lineart is created. I think he uses the pen tool in PS. Simple as that. The lines are black (so no gray or other colors), there is no line weight, and there is very little or no opacity take off of the lineart layer.

From the pictures you posted, it seems like you are doing exactly that which leads me to believe it is a problem with your coloring rather than the lineart itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Psiartist View Post
    There are a few things you can do to help improve your lineart in Sai.

First, you can increase you stabilizer to make your lines less jittery and more smooth. The amount you want depends on your computer power and how fluid you need things to be. Too much and your computer runs slow (if it cant handle it) and too little and it looks jittery. I have mine set at 10.

The second thing you can do is add line weight. You can do this while drawing or afterwards. I would suggest you continue how you are now. Then make a new layer and add the weight you want. When you are done you can merge down. Doing it on a new layer allows you to delete it easy if you do not like it and keep what is below clean.

The other thing I do is to not use complete black for my lineart color. I use a darker gray but it stands out differently than black. Fortunately, you can just hit preserve opacity and color your lineart with different colors and see how that affects your outcome.

Lastly, when I finish coloring I set the opacity of the lineart down a little. It helps a little to let the colors show more than the lines.

After looking at the artist you posted in the first post, I think I know how that kind of lineart is created. I think he uses the pen tool in PS. Simple as that. The lines are black (so no gray or other colors), there is no line weight, and there is very little or no opacity take off of the lineart layer.

From the pictures you posted, it seems like you are doing exactly that which leads me to believe it is a problem with your coloring rather than the lineart itself.
    About the weight part.The only thing I do not really know is which part do I have to weight.When I tried to weight on something I find it too hard to spot the part where I have to darken it.
    Also, I understand about changing the lineart colour but why not I use black lineart ? I see some artist also shows some black lineart (without opacity or not grey) in the end result.

This may help you with your line weighting problems it did for me, albeit I use vectors rather than a pen tool.

http://tentopet.livejournal.com/12935.html

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    This may help you with your line weighting problems it did for me, albeit I use vectors rather than a pen tool.

http://tentopet.livejournal.com/12935.html
    OAO ! Thank you.This might be helpful for doing manga.

Can you also give me tips about trying to hide the black lineart when doing colouring process ?
    I wanted to do something like this
    http://www.cosplayhouse.com/images/D...er_01-1-03.jpg
    But I am really more influence with this
    http://www.zerochan.net/full/977966

With colouring I think it will just be a case of practicing over and over until you assume a style your happy with. What I like to do is I find pictures of colouring and shading etc and scrutinise it. For example in the style im trying to adapt the shading on the hair contrasts quite a lot from the base colour and is blurred only slightly with the base. Occasionally other tones are used as well, I believe this is cell shading but im probably wrong. Anyway my point is; study your influences and try to mimic them, with study and practice you should be able to adapt your own technique personally I like to have a picture on my phone open for quick referral if I get stuck but with each time I try it out the colouring comes out much better than previous you could also look about on deviantart for tutorials on cell shading, I believe that is the kinds colouring your looking for (if I'm wrong just disregard all I've said about cell shading)

As for your lineart question, do you mean to literally hide it, or do you want ways to make it stand out less so you can bring more attention to the colouring?

Hope this helped some more

Cell Shading Tutorial for SAI: http://ao-guu.deviantart.com/art/Cel...-SAI-286852596, just found it quickly and haven't had a chance to look through it but there are plenty of others if this one isn't the one for you
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.