Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developers: Let's Get Going

Developers: Let's Get Going

Today I've started getting back into game design/programming. I watched Indie Game: The Movie and it really was a great motivator. I really like documentaries like this because it makes the people seem more real.

And thus, I've decided to start working on some little projects so I can build up to a larger project. Feel free to join me in working on your own little project and lets see what we can do.

I want to make this a goal based test. Just to see what I can do.

I'll report in this thread daily with a post that looks more like a dev log so that I can keep track of what I'm doing and hopefully inspire others to join in.

I want to try this for at least a week and see what happens.

TL;DR: Lets make some games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    What kind of game is the goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Too bad I've stopped making games./
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Kind of annoying you just didn't put this in the game developers thread but whateva

@Al: I'm going to do a self discovery game, I guess. If anyone else were to join in they could do whatever they wanted to do.

@G-man: Man, you could try finding someone to do the coding. I know you could do it, man.

@Jubro: I felt like this should be more of a project for those of us on mt who make games could partake in and that it wouldn't really fit in there.

---------------------
    //Day 1 - 7/28/2012\\
    ---------------------

I started working on the movement mechanics today. I have rough graphics in place and so far the character responds to the left and right arrow keys moving in the respective direction. I still have yet to figure out collision and collision checking. That is a job for tomorrow if I have enough time.

I start a new job this evening and I'll be working nights. I do not know how this will affect development. Hopefully I can get a decent sleeping schedule down before long so I may be awake with my area of the world.

Sunday might be a slow day in development. I don't know when I'll wake up.

I must be off to work.

---------------------
    //Day 2 - 7/29/2012\\
    ---------------------

10:46AM - This morning started late for me. My alarm didn't go off when I set it for and I woke up a couple times and just went back to sleep. I finally woke for good around 10:05.

I have a function to go to for 4 hours. I work shortly after. I may not be able to work on my project at all today. I might work on it after I get home from work, but that will be considered another day.

Hopefully, I can figure some coding out before I leave for church. If I can't, then I have failed for today.

I totally didn't keep up on a journal and I did go a couple days without doing anything on my project because of work and other things, BUT.

I have yet to give up and I'm still working. It's been a week and a day and I've got most of the mechanics down, I just need to get a level developed so I can test how it's working so far.

Things I still need to work on are water physics and object physics.

SPOILER! :

Working on the first level/test level. Still a really rough design, mostly just trying to get ideas down so I can

What are you even using to code that? I'd guess Flash because of the weird level curves... Alrough that is if they even have precise collision detection. >_>

Looks legit, but hard to say without seeing it in action, anyway.

Constantly working on stuff myself. Can never settle on one idea for long enough, through.

I'm currently using C# and the XNA framework. Most of the collision detection is handled on a hidden layer.

Ying Yang Member
    Are you still doing this? I just started work on a game today, I wanna take part.

I'm working on a basketball game, except it's an RTS/RPG. You recruit and build up player's skills, and you can give them commands with the mouse like pass, shoot, move here, guard that player, etc. but you act more as a coach than the player. You control aggresiveness, Man-to-Man matchups, provide passive buffs during timeouts, call plays, etc.

I have very specific formulas already written in Excel spreadsheets to calculate shot %, effectiveness of defender on ball, etc, as well as the system for player stats. I could go on but it's very late.

How does the thread work then? Post what we do each day? If that's the case I made the court background, hoops, ball, and a few player animations.