Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Suicide

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Most people change their minds on things like that until they've experienced it themselves, but before that, if you've had no education in psychology and how severe depression and anxieties work, you can only form outside opinions on how you think it should go.
    Not saying that those people who have never and will never come to the point of thinking suicidal thought can't have an opinion, I respect that.
    But as said before, it's a mental illness, not an attribute chosen. Nobody chooses depression, maybe except if you wanna fit in, but that's called being an emo, and most of them don't mean it.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by WhenRabbitsAttack View Post
    i don't believe in suicide. apologies to anyone who's considered it, but i really don't. suicide is a way to leave behind the daily torture of life, from what i've read here. life is so painful that its not worth living, correct? i can respect that you wouldn't want to put up with that if your life is really that horrible. but if you are strong enough to live even a few more days, then you would have proved to your self that you are stronger than you thought. and that strength could be used to try and make your life better, in any way possible.

and people who commit suicide to escape things they've done are cowardly. if they really want to atone for making somone else's life worse or for taking somone else life, they should try and make other's lives better. because if they kill themselves because they think that the loss of their life will atone, they're wrong. being dead you can't ever hurt anyone again, but you can't ever help anyone again either. you becone complete neutral when if you had lived, there could have been things you could have done that won't get a chance to happen.
    Do you know what it's like to completely despise yourself?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".

Wink

The movie seven pounds
    SPOILER! :
    is a relevant movie to this thread and for comiting suicide to regain honor or redemption.

There are people who are in so much pain and suffering so damn much that doctors have to make them drug addicts for them to get by and live. They are so high that they can't drive or work and some can't even be awake for more than a few hours a day. It's it allways the result of a medical condition it can be a result of trauma like a car accident or such. They are alive but really is that living? Is being a prisoner in your own body better than being dead? Is it better to be in such excruciating pain that you can't even gt out of bed a life you would WANT? It's not to me.
    For people like that isint it humane to let them choose death rather than telling them "No you can wait." like a parent telling a 5yr old to wait to go to the bathroom? Maybe a bad or horrible analogy but it's pretty much the same IMO.

I have suffered depression and anxiety since I was little and have thought of suicide many many times but never went thru with it. I was at one point having a panick/anxiety attack every day for two months straight. The simplest way I can describe an anxiety attack is you know that feeling you get when you go on a roller coaster or really fast over a small hill in the car and you feel your stomach lift and it's like butterflies in your stomach? Ok take that feeling and don't let it stop for at least an hour. Now add to that thoughts that keep telling you that something is wrong with you and that you are going to die from what ever you can think of. You become hyper aware of your heat beat or breathing or any part of your body and start to think that it's not normal. For me it's usually my heart and I'm convinced that I'm having a heart attack (even tho I'm pretty much healthy) or a blood clot in my leg because I have a random twitch and a pain in my right leg. Then it gets harder to breathe and you get dizzy and you don't know why and it could be a punctured lung or heart attack or anything you see on web MD.
    Not a fun way to live.
    As for getting on medications. When you see some one for depression or anxiety they usually throw pills at you. The thing with pills is that there isint one kind that works for everyone. There are hundreds out there. They are trying to balance the chemicals in your brain or what ever but could be throwing them out of whack even more so. When you start an anti depression pill you have to try it for at least a month to possibly get the full benefit from it BUT it may not be the right one for you and before you even go the 30 days you may have attempted suicide. If you failed they will put you on a new one but who knows if the other one has left your system yet and the new one could be the right one but the old one is not making it seem so. I do think pills help some but it isint for everyone.
    Telling some one who is suicidal to be strong is insulting and probably more of a push to go thru with it than anything because in their head if they were stronger than they wouldn't feel this way.
    As long as it doesn't interfere with the lives of others as in you went thru with it and did it infront of a crowd or did it by jumping off a bridge into traffic and causing more deaths then it's your choice. Just try to involve other people as little as possible.

This is just what I know and feel from personal exp and reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Do you know what it's like to completely despise yourself?
    completely despise? no.
    my emotions are sort of like oil and water. the darker feelings sink to the bottom (water) and the lighter ones rise to the top (oil) but when the oil is washed away, i end up feeling like i'm going to drown myself in all the shame, hatred and disgust that i know i shouldn't have.

I know I'll probably get pounded for saying this, but this is my personal opinion and I'm not trying to cause a fight or persuade anyone into thinking my way. I speak from experience. I've been in severe depressions and considered suicide before. I don't believe that depression is a mental illness, I believe that it's a feeling. Just like I don't believe ADHD is an illness, I just believe that some kids are more hyper than others. I think that calling depression a mental illness is like making an excuse for a person to act depressed and possibly commit suicide. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my opinion.

Good thing that the determination of mental illness are not made under the observation of believe or not believe.

Clock, you forget that this thread is titled "Thoughts on Suicide" which is what I posted, my thoughts about suicide. Excuse me for not having the same ideas about the subject as you. You also forget that our medical system is not perfect, absolute, or completely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    You also forget that our medical system is not perfect, absolute, or completely correct.
    And is neither determinate by the belief of an unarticulated feeling.

I think folks are focusing on individuals who do have a chemical imbalance or some other form of mental illness. I do agree that those who are clinically depressed are more suspect of committing suicide & that their emotional support groups are supposed to notice when things are getting to that point but oftentimes, its too late to save them. I don't think that it's selfish when this happens only sad.

Now what about the person who decides to commit suicide as a reaction to something that they've done or had done to them?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    And is neither determinate by the belief of an unarticulated feeling.
    The definition of perfection is being free of flaws. Our medical system is not free of flaws, for example people get misdiagnosed all the time, there aren't cures for every disease, etc.