Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Suicide

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Not to mention some suicides can lead to chain suicides. If you have a room full of mentally ill/depressed people all connected emotionally to each other, and one decides to break from the link, the rest may deteriorate as well. Rare, but it's happened. Suicide isn't only an instant escape, but a gamble.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

As I said, most people willing to commit suicide are aware of the repercussions, but it is selfish because they are placing their interest beyond others, in this case their familly and friends feelings and emotional stability, even more, you could say that by the suicide of one person, probably some familiar might get depressed as well, and so a chain a depression suicide might happen (really weird to happen) and so by the selfish act of taking your own life you basically screwed everyone else lifes.

But as I said, you don't chose to get depressed, and there is a lot of people who can't get "better" (better is kinda of a weird word when you talk this subject) and they are forced their entire life to medicaments, drugs and therapy, which finally you ask yourself "This is how my life is going to be?".

The final action, it is selfish, but the people doing it are aware of it, its just that their problem are bigger ( as I said), and I don't feel that suicide is actually a consequence of depression, it is more the option you take to deal with it.

Would it still be selfish if the person had no ties to anybody else.

Really hard to happen, but I guess no one would give a fuck.

So you should do it james.

As complex as it is, whether a person suicides or not looks a lot like this:

Personal anguish on the left, consideration of the consequences on the right (or whatever)

Whichever weighs heavier usually determines the outcome, and I've been at this point before. It's definitely not fun.

As for depression, it's not guaranteed a depressed person will suicide. Suicide is just a side effect of severe despression and anxiety, and it really just opens the channel for suicidal thoughts, not the action itself necessarily.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

I don't consider the idea of the balance a good analogy, as probably living is the worst consequence if you really want to kill yourself. You don't really evaluate things like that, you just think "I can't live another more day", because living become a nightmare, and every second is just a torture.

So if you use a balance analogy, you would have at one side, well the anxiety, depression and on the other side, if you can really take another day more of living or not. It's really complicate, you don't evaluate things at a balance, but rather like blowing a balloon, there is a point when its going to explote.

I made that analogy through experience. There came a point where I was ready to die, and I really just sat back and thought about it, weighed it out. If I left, everything would come crashing down for the family because it'd be a heavy tragedy, so is it worth it to keep living? Not really, it still sucks like hell and hurts, but what'd be even worse would be to break my family in the process. So that's where the balance thing came from; my own personal experience.

I can't say the process is the same for all people though. Like you said, some just live a hellish nightmare and want out.
    <My comic

Ya, but not everyone sit down to evaluate the situation, most people just can't handle it anymore, and this latest is the most common. But ya, everyone deals it differently, or experienced differently.

Clock, are you also speaking from personal experience? Or from people that you've known?

you might never know.