Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Suicide

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    I don't believe that depression is a mental illness, I believe that it's a feeling. Just like I don't believe ADHD is an illness, I just believe that some kids are more hyper than others. I think that calling depression a mental illness is like making an excuse for a person to act depressed and possibly commit suicide. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just my opinion.
    We are not talking about how perfect is the diagnostics for illness or if the medical system has no flaws, rather than that, we are talking that you are saying that depression is not a mental illness (or mental imbalance) and so ADHD. I feel the latest is easier to understand why people don't believe on it as many people have used and self diagnostics with it without even knowing what it is, but trust me, there is people who really can't take attention and its really hard to approach them. But depression is real and you don't chose to get depressed, and if you have been on depression then you know that you didn't chose it, neither the thoughts you had in that moment.

And even if you try not to offend people, by saying that depression is a excuse for suicide is actually a really offensive thing to say, as depression is a real imbalance on the chemistry of your brain. It's real, and is not something made by psychiatric, so is not something determined by a "belief", and even so diagnostics can be flawed, it doesn't make depression, as a subject, less serious or real.

Also a feeling is product of the chemistry on your brain. By saying "I don't believe its a illness, but rather a feeling", you are almost saying that feelings have nothing to do with brain chemistry, which is the opposite and as I said, its considered a brain imbalance, as you are not producing the proper balance of chemistry on the brain and provoking this "feeling".

When I said I'm not trying to offend anyone, I meant that I'm not blatantly out to hurt others. Of course, some people will get offended, that's what opinions do, they offend people.

There go you, now you've actually explain your point in an understandable way.

I didn't say depression was less serious. But looking back at my post it's a bit confusing. I'm definitely not saying that depression doesn't exist. What I mean is that by saying it's a disorder, is making an excuse less for the people that commited suicide, and more for the people that didn't. Saying that a suicidal person has a disorder that cause them to act the way they do makes it easier to take the blame off of the people that didn't try to help the suicidal/depressed person overcome their feelings. Does that make more sense now?
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 07-30-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Yeah but it's kind of awful sounding.

Most people who know me probably wouldn't be able to guess that I was depressed. It's not like you can magically tell what's going on in another's head. So yeah saying people use it as an excuse is pretty fucking offensive.

Depression is both a mental and physical condition. It's medically documented as an existing condition. So don't you feel daft saying it's not a real thing and only something someone made up to feel sad?

Saying that a suicidal person has a disorder that cause them to act the way they do makes it easier to take the blame off of the people that didn't try to help the suicidal/depressed person overcome their feelings. Does that make more sense now?

If anything I think a diagnosis is supposed to have the opposite effect. It's meant to give the person with the mental illness a way to explain what's wrong to others. It gives others a better understanding of what sufferers could be going through and makes it easier for them to get information on how to help people they know who are going through a mental illness. The point of making up defined illnesses and diagnosing people is to make it easier to provide information and treatment to people.

That's very true! I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that depression should try to be cured by medicine that will artificially make a person happy for a little while. I think people need to, instead, show care and love for the depressed person.

Quote Originally Posted by Inksprout View Post
    If anything I think a diagnosis is supposed to have the opposite effect. It's meant to give the person with the mental illness a way to explain what's wrong to others. It gives others a better understanding of what sufferers could be going through and makes it easier for them to get information on how to help people they know who are going through a mental illness. The point of making up defined illnesses and diagnosing people is to make it easier to provide information and treatment to people.
    Was struggling for a way to word it but Inksprout describes my feelings on this subject well I also agree that in minor cases 'happiness' in the form of a drug shouldn't be used as a tactic to stop depression, it has very little benefit in the long term, especially if you consider the damage to some of the receptors in their brain which the drug is likely to be acting upon, an exception being if the situation is dire however in which case it should be permitted for usage.

Sorry, it would appear I gave more of an opinion on the pharmaceutical side of things :L
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 07-30-2012 at 08:03 PM.

That's very true! I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that depression should try to be cured by medicine that will artificially make a person happy for a little while. I think people need to, instead, show care and love for the depressed person.
    Listen, I don't think you understand what depression is. It's a physical and mental disorder. That means that trying to make that person feel better isn't going to work. Medicine doesn't "artificially" make someone happy, whatever that means. It helps to alleviate the
    symptoms of depression so that person will feel better.

I honestly have no idea why so many people are against modern medicine.

I'm not considering suicide and probably not depressed but when people show care and love for me it upsets me so what if I were depressed/suicidal. What then?

Edit: John its just ignorance. That and bad sci-fi movies where somebody tries to "play god" and it goes wrong. Playing god doesn't usually go wrong in real life which is why we have airplanes, medicine, and air conditioning.