Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Suicide

:P well its fine if you don't want to tell me. It just sounds like you're speaking from a more knowledgeable point of view and I wondered if you were basing it off things that you have experienced personally or through someone close to you, or if its just your view of the issue. I my self haven't really been in that position, so that's where my ideas come from. I've been in positions before where I have seen others going through similar stuff begin to self harm and consider suicide, but I never did. So that's why I think mental illness is such a strong influence on whether or not someone will try to take their life. To me it seems like someone who is mentally healthy can make it through the same tough times without considering it. What Gunzet said about depression being a gateway to those thoughts makes a lot of sense to me.

When you have people who care about you then yeah it's pretty damn selfish.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    There's really no way to not consider it selfish to some degree, since suicide is about... self.
    I guess you could always make a suicide pact, or go to one of those mass-suicide things that's hip these days, if you really don't wanna be selfish.
    Just remember, wait until everyone else drinks first.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

In ancient japan suicide was a way to retain the honor of ones family and possibly the least selfish thing a person could do. Thoughts?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Oh yeaaaaa I forgot all about that. Well, I guess culture could also be a factor as to what people think of it.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    In ancient japan suicide was a way to retain the honor of ones family and possibly the least selfish thing a person could do. Thoughts?
    Personal honor too though too right?

I'm kind of an advocate for people being able to choose to commit suicide, sorry if that offends anyone. People indicate that it's selfish to kill yourself, but I personally think it's more selfish to ask a person that doesn't want to live to spend a lifetime going through all the hardships life entails. Although I think anyone considering suicide needs to at least give something back for the care, love and concern they've gotten through their life and for all the damage they'll cause by offing themselves, as well as paying off financial debts and so forth first.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh
    That was an established cultural thing. Admitting that you messed up somewhere down the line and saying "I accept that, I deserve death and I'm going to face it bravely." But here and now, we don't have such a rigorous focus on concepts like honor in our day to day lives. It'd be a confusing gesture and I'm not sure there's a lot of situations where you could actually kill yourself and have it considered redeeming, because we don't have much precedent for honorable suicide in modern society. I think it would probably be much preferred in most cultures nowadays if someone were to atone for their actions in some way.
    Last edited by Lucy; 07-28-2012 at 05:14 AM.

That was a well put response.

We do sort of have a precedence for honorable suicide but we call it self-sacrifice. Thought whether sacrificing yourself is really considered suicide is arguable.

Martyrs

i don't believe in suicide. apologies to anyone who's considered it, but i really don't. suicide is a way to leave behind the daily torture of life, from what i've read here. life is so painful that its not worth living, correct? i can respect that you wouldn't want to put up with that if your life is really that horrible. but if you are strong enough to live even a few more days, then you would have proved to your self that you are stronger than you thought. and that strength could be used to try and make your life better, in any way possible.

and people who commit suicide to escape things they've done are cowardly. if they really want to atone for making somone else's life worse or for taking somone else life, they should try and make other's lives better. because if they kill themselves because they think that the loss of their life will atone, they're wrong. being dead you can't ever hurt anyone again, but you can't ever help anyone again either. you becone complete neutral when if you had lived, there could have been things you could have done that won't get a chance to happen.