Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga Month (MaMo) 2011

I don't mind joining. I already have a manga in progress and did some pages but I will be doing a remake of the first few pages so I guess this will be a good time to do that =D. Count me in. Oh and http://mitmit-studios.deviantart.com/. This is where my manga is atm. I did it like when I first started out taking art seriously so I can't say you will like it. I'll show you guys the remake when its done .

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    Murr, I need to get going on this... I know what I want to do (script/thumbnails) first, but it just feels so overwhelming. ;-;

I think I'll work on it tomorrow when I'm supposed to be tutoring people (don't get many people coming in for help this early in the semester).

I'm supposed to get 8-12 inches. Yuck.
    I was really overwhelmed when I first tried to tackle writing it and I found a really simple way to get started with the script at least. Having a simple process can really help if you don't know where to start. There are basically three steps. I'll post examples using the script I've been developing.

1. Write a 1-2 Paragraph Synopsis of your story.

Title: Rebirth
    Synopsis: Paden is the young Warden of an old dragon. When a dragon dies it is said that its Warden must sacrifice himself so that another dragon will replace it. Paden’s dragon becomes ill and Erin, his love interest, becomes depressed because she knows he will leave forever soon. The dragon dies and gives Paden his kuroiflamme which he takes and runs off with. After a long journey Paden finally collapses. A blinding flash occurs and a mountain forms with a new dragon uncurling its wings at the top of the mountain.
    Erin has been inconsolable for the past couple of weeks since Paden left. She looks up out over the horizon and sees a dragon coming back. She runs to the bay to greet it and sees a scar on the dragon’s face that had been in the same position on the Paden’s face. She smiles as she looks up at him with tears in her eyes.
    2. Page planning - Here you figure out how many pages you need to tell each part of the story. This helps with pacing the story. My story is 31 pages long including a title page.

1: Title Page
    2-5: Paden is taking care of the dragon. Erin enters and brings him a tray of food and he smiles at her, they share lunch together
    6-7: Paden’s dragon acted belligerently while Erin was there, Paden defends her and ends up with a gash down the left side of his face.
    8-11: Erin feels horrible that he was injured because of her. She sits by his bed, Paden has the left side of his face bandaged. Paden calms her and they embrace.
    12: Paden enters his dragon’s chambers to find it sick. He calls out for help and soon there are lots of people working to figure out what is wrong. Erin looks on from afar distressed.
    13: The dragon dies and gives Paden his kuroiflamme (black flame) and he leaves the Pillar with one last look back at Erin
    14-17: Paden runs far to the south through varying terrain in search of the dragon. Erin grieves while looking out of a window facing south.
    18-19: Paden is unable to find any sign of dragons and continues searching. Erin sits now in front of the window and turns down food that is offered.
    20: Paden finally reaches his limit and lays down, says his apologies to Erin whom he sees in his thoughts.
    21: Paden’s body is consumed by the black fire and a large flash occurs.
    22-23: The ground shakes and a pillar of black fire rises to the sky. A new mountain rises up out of the ground and on the top of the mountain a dragon unfurls its wings.
    24-25: Erin’s mother looks in worried on her. The food that sits on the table next to her lays untouched. She decides she must force Erin to eat otherwise she will waste away.
    26: In the midst of their fight, they hear the cry of the dragon to the south.
    27: Erin stands up weakly leaning on her mother for support.
    28: She is helped down to the waiting area with her mother and she sits.
    29-30: People dash around preparing the newly arrived dragon
    31: She is finally let in and sees the dragon. Sees the scar on its face – the same as Paden’s and smiles.
    3. Page Details. This is the last step of the script writing. Go into detail what is happening on each page. You can go into further detail by describing each panel or just leave it as a loose paragraph of action and dialogue. This can get pretty long so I've only included the first couple of pages for my script.

Page 1: Title Page
    Description: Incorporate Paden, Erin and Paden in his dragon form together.

Page 2-5: Paden is taking care of the dragon. Erin enters and brings him a tray of food and he smiles at her, they share lunch together

Page 2:
    Panel 1: Erin is walking down the hallway holding a tray of food. It’s the first time she’s been allowed to enter a dragon’s chambers. She’s nervous.
    Panel 2: Erin stops in front of a pair of doors and practically drops her trays from a tremor that passes down the hallway. She lets out an “Eeek!”
    Panel 3: She sucks in her breath and pulls open the door
    Panel 4: Erin enters into an anteroom that has a large open door at the other side. It’s dark in the anteroom most of its light coming from the room opposite. She looks worried.
    Panel 5: Erin walks through the middle of the anteroom staying in the light that flows in from the door opposite. A voice comes from the room. “Aww, come on Salin.”

Page 3:
    Panel 1: Erin enters into the light of the room and looks surprised.
    Panel 2: Paden is standing with a toothbrush. “You know I hate doing this as much as you do.”
    Panel 3: Paden looks around when he hears a giggle from Erin.
    Panel 4: Erin has set the tray down on a small table to the side of the large door and has a hand held over her mouth.
    Panel 5: Paden flushes a little as he notices Erin and turns away from her.

Page 4:
    Panel 1: Paden looks up at Salin and whispers, “Don’t make me look bad in front of her.”
    Panel 2: Salin tilts his head and looks at Erin as Paden turns back to her and gives a crooked smile.
    Panel 3: Paden turns back to Salin and whispers “Please”
    Panel 4: Salin drops his head with a grumble
    Panel 5: Paden lifts the mouth up and holds it open with one foot on the bottom jaw and one hand holding it up. He holds the toothbrush in the other hand.
    Panel 6: He begins to brush and turns his head to smile at Erin and Erin smiles back.

Page 5:
    Panel 1: He brushes too vigorously while he looks back at Erin and foam is going everywhere.
    Panel 2: Salin’s stomach grumbles and smoke rises from his mouth as the foam continues to fly everywhere.
    Panel 3: Erin stands up looking worried and says “Um…” with one hand clutching her dress and the other stretched out in front of her. Paden looks at her confused as another large grumble erupts
    Panel 4: Paden looks back in time for Salin to belch flame
    When you're doing a short story you don't need to worry about all of the fine details for each character. I think in many ways it's better to just have an idea because ideas are easy to change as they need to be. Once you start writing ideas down, they become much harder to change and then you start trying to make things conform to them rather than making the ideas conform to the story.

Just as a disclaimer, the setting for this story was one that I wrote about and developed for my Nanowrimo novel this past November. So I have written quite a bit about the world in which these characters live - 50,000 words or so to be precise. If you don't want to spend time writing backstory or other things just fall back on the real world, or things you know.

I hope this helps some of you in your script writing or just planning. I know it really helped me when I first tried using it.
    Last edited by nisaren; 01-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.

I'm just really tempted to draw to draw myself in an American cheerleaders outfit, now, despite the cramp I'll get from the path tool. ;_;

alrighty, i'm up to it.
    i wanna become a pro mangaka so i want to atleast be experienced on how it'll work out since my parents said okay only if i keep my grades up

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    @ MiKuRu & Leoh
    Great! Glad to have you guys aboard! That makes 11 of us now.

@ nisaren
    Wow, that's mighty useful! :jots down notes: Mind if I post this up in the Tutorial section?

@ Saith
    Go for it! I was tempted myself but I don't know what to draw you guys as since you've got no avy.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    It's not so bad in my experience. Character development on the other hand...
    Touché. I guess that's what I meant. Sort of. Setting's worse. Got to make sure everything makes sense. That's why I'm adapting not working on my idea...

And how are you suppose to know how much to come up with? I'm sure Kishi didn't have Naruto planned out to Shippuden, but did he have it to Zabuza in his head when it was first published? Who knows...
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

@Rio Sure, I don't mind. Hopefully more people will find it useful. ^^

And now I won't be able to pull any surprises when I draw it out D:

... Your Manga is going to be longer then 5 pages I hope.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    @ Bacon
    I've heard that some artists go on a chapter to chapter basis while others like Oda of One Piece and Arakawa of FMA already mapped out the entire story from the beginning. I guess it would really depend on the artist/writer. I think Slice of Life genre's can get away with doing a chapter to chapter basis because it's about everyday life and that leaves the creator a lot of room as to what to do next.

@ Nisaren
    Thanks! I'll post it up asap.

You'll be fine. Reading the basic summary is not the same as actually having the images to go with it and all the other environmental and emotional details. C:

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    @ Bacon
    I've heard that some artists go on a chapter to chapter basis while others like Oda of One Piece and Arakawa of FMA already mapped out the entire story from the beginning. I guess it would really depend on the artist/writer. I think Slice of Life genre's can get away with doing a chapter to chapter basis because it's about everyday life and that leaves the creator a lot of room as to what to do next.
    Oda cant have it had it planned till now. It's impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! (Though I have heard that before. I wonder what he was smocking in High School...) As for the Slice of Life thing, that makes sense, but that isn't the sort of manga that I have running around in my head is.