Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga Month (MaMo) 2011

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar

Manga Month (MaMo) 2011

I've been considering this for awhile now and I just want to gauge how many here would be interested in participating in an event like NaNoWriMo except instead of writing for a month, we'll be doing a manga for a month.

The concept is just to have participants to get off their ass and create something by the end of the month in a supportive environment. The result is participants will get experience creating their own manga, will have finished a manga, and just bounce off ideas and get feedback from everyone.

There were two things I can see people doing this. They can either a) make a manga a day (i.e. one 4-koma per day) or b) create one manga chapter by the end of the month. How polished (i.e. inked, etc) the final item is depends on each person but the basic goal is to just get something done.

I've actually done something like this but I made a small video game. I had fun with it and really liked all the support and camaraderie that popped up between participants and just people who liked watching everyone's progression. Everyone also got to play all the resulting games at the end of the month too!

Let me know if you're interested in participating!

==========================================

Details
    Goal: Finish a chapter of manga by the end of February.

Extra Info: Page length, type of story and so on will depend on each participant. It would be best to have a finished manga that is inked but the main goal is to have a completed chapter.

Tutorials: All About Manga Paper - teaches basics of manga composition/panel management and also has links to digital manga paper for your use.

Participants
    Angel_Dreamer13
    Bacon_Barbarian
    DrPumpkin
    Gedeon
    Jaidurn
    Leoh
    M3S1H
    MiKuRu
    Nisaren
    PWhit
    Rio
    Saith
    Son44
    Yara
    Zoe
    ________ <--- Your name here!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I would be, except I'm sort of notorious for a lack of commitment... However, Mid-Terms are done and such. I think it'd be good practice to. Try and get a 20 Page~ short comic done. I was working on making an adaption of a short-story by JK Rowling, but I;m not sure how legal that is... :/
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

Eh, I think it's a pretty good idea, but a full 30-page manga is probally a bit over the top... That's a page per day with little time for going back and changing things. Ten-fifteen pages might be more reasonable. Perhaps giving everybody a common theme so they all fit togeather is an idea, too?

Also, Bacon, it's perfectly legal as long as you aren't selling it. ;I

I'm already working on a project, but didn't start sketching yet. I'm in, Rio =)

how will this work tho

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    @ Regantor
    You don't necessarily have to make 30 pages. You just have to complete a chapter which could be 10 pages long or 30 pages long or more for the totally ambitious. Normal manga chapters are around 16-20 pages which I think is decent as you do need time to write the story, storyboard it, and then draw and ink it all. 4-koma's a a little different and can be done daily since they're so short and usually not as intensive as making a chapter of manga. That's why I suggested doing a 4-koma every day for the whole month.

A theme is fine but I don't want to pigeonhole anyone into creating xyz if they want to do abc instead. Maybe we can have a themed month sometime later in the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    how will this work tho
    What do you mean? For one month, all participants will try to create their manga and finish it by the end of the month. During that time, they can go on here and get feedback, rant, show their progress and so on. At the end of the month, they'll post what they finished, didn't finish, or partially finished.

Anyways, how's about we do it next month?

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Also, Bacon, it's perfectly legal as long as you aren't selling it. ;I
    YES! I already have roughs (VERY ROUGH ROUGHS) from last summer... And I'm fine with February, heck I might start this week-end! Or would that be cheating?

I guess this sounds workable. To be honest I'd probally be too busy working with my pre-existing comic thing to enter this month, but I can certainly hang around to give advice.

101 Dalmations Member angel_dreamer13's Avatar
    I'm in
    could I do a short story instead, maybe a couple of chapters?

Quote Originally Posted by angel_dreamer13 View Post
    I'm in
    could I do a short story instead, maybe a couple of chapters?
    Do the minimum, and people'll be happy. Exceed, and they'll be much more so.