Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are some anime fans so annoying?

Hybrid View

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar

Why are some anime fans so annoying?

I've come to a realization that most of the hate for the anime community isn't against anime itself, but more towards the fans and audience group as a whole. I've always wondered why people would hate someone for a simple interest, and what could cause this amount of hate.

I have been an anime fan for a few years now, and I just couldn't understand it. That is, until I came across a few other anime fans IRL. This thread isn't necessarily a discussion about why so many fans are hated, but rather why are some anime fans so addicted to this lifestyle? I've noticed that a fair amount, (and I mean more than half of all anime fans), are just plain annoying. The only thing they will talk about is anime, and they are usually very anti-social unless anime is mentioned. Is anime so addictive that it causes this reaction in some people? Then some people go even further and start to add Japanese words into their own sentences, and even start to believe Japan is superior to any other country. Is this just a phase in their life as an otaku? Or will some anime fans stay like forever?

I remember I was like this for a little while when I was younger, but I quickly grew out of it in a matter of weeks, maybe even days. So why exactly are some people so obsessed with this sort of thing? Is it purely psychological?

I'm curious about this because many of these fans are a bad example for the rest of us. It's okay to enjoy anime, even appreciate Japan and it's culture, but why unhealthily obsess over it? Do some people just need something to believe in, or to hang on to in times of need? I honestly do not understand it. I have always said live your life the way you want to live it, but can people sometimes go overboard with their interest to the point that it actually instils hate in other people?

I am not in any way trying to offend anyone, it's just my genuine curiosity. If there are any fans here that fit this description, I'd love to hear your responses.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    TBH, I'm more concerned about League of Legends players. I have friends who have sunk into recluse for the last few years and only socialize through LoL.

But yeah, I mean...everyone has their obsessions, right. Some people are that way about cars, games or music. Anime is just weirder than most of the alternatives. Doesn't help that America has a pretty skewed image of Japanese culture. Either people love it to pieces or genuinely hate the whale-poaching, panty-sniffing Japanese.

(because eating whales is wrong but artificially fertilizing farm animals, forcing them to give birth and eating their young is not)

Ozza talking about anime fans being annoying? Oh the irony.

The worst members of any given group will inevitably become its stereotype. Anime is no exception.

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The worst members of any given group will inevitably become its stereotype. Anime is no exception.
    Agreed.
    I am actually Roy Mustang.

Then some people go even further and start to add Japanese words into their own sentences
    Is this just a phase in their life as an otaku?
    Oh, how this amuses me.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

999 Knights Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzaharwood View Post
    I have been an anime fan for a few years now, and I just couldn't understand it. That is, until I came across a few other anime fans IRL. This thread isn't necessarily a discussion about why so many fans are hated, but rather why are some anime fans so addicted to this lifestyle? I've noticed that a fair amount, (and I mean more than half of all anime fans), are just plain annoying. The only thing they will talk about is anime, and they are usually very anti-social unless anime is mentioned. Is anime so addictive that it causes this reaction in some people? Then some people go even further and start to add Japanese words into their own sentences, and even start to believe Japan is superior to any other country. Is this just a phase in their life as an OTAKU? Or will some anime fans stay like forever?
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Oh, how this amuses me.
    IKR.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    This^. Like all nerds have glasses, are fat, and play D&D all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

I'm curious about this because many of these fans are a bad example for the rest of us. It's okay to enjoy anime, even appreciate Japan and it's culture, but why unhealthily obsess over it? Do some people just need something to believe in, or to hang on to in times of need? I honestly do not understand it.

HEY MAN THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS JAPAN AND NARUTO ARE LIKE GREAT AND STUFFZZZZ

Joking.

Seriously through, every fandom, from sports to metal music, has an ample supply of people who dream they'll one day suddenly wake up and become the perfect footballer/guitar shredder/manga-ka. They generally aren't even people who like rare or obscure stuff. Bleach fans have berated my liking of Cowboy Bebop dozens of times now. There is "You're either with us or against us!" mentality all over the place.

So I guess that's just a big portion of humans, really.

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Thanks to those who gave me serious answers.

I think I get it a little bit more now. Thanks for the help guys.