Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rubisko's Sketchbook

@Toast: Thank you =) I used some very thick paper with smooth texture. I don't know what it's called, or even where I got it from, it has been hidden away among my art supplies for quite some time I suspect.

@Scarlet: Derwent Inktense, watersoluble ink pencils. They are quite neat, they can be used in many different ways. I used to use them a lot for thumbnails for poster layouts, but they seems to be even better for this kind of stuff.

So I just found out it's Thursday, and I haven't done my Monday update yet.

I don't usually use blocky stuff very much when I draw, so I figured I try it out. For some reason it gives of the vibe of action cartoons from when I was a kid, so I had to slap on some cartoony colour in photoshop. Other than that, it's just pen and marker. Comments and critique is as always very welcome

Yaaaay new Rubisko art this looks so awesome, im awe struck again xD reminding me of the really old transformers animations that got broadcased in the UK like a decade and a half ago :3 out of interest, is that a human skull and fleshy upper arms I see? :P

I think there is something odd looking about the leg and foot closest to us, i'm not sure what it is, probably my imagination but I get that feeling that there is something weird going on there :/
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    I think there is something odd looking about the leg closest to us, i'm really not sure what it is at all, probably my imagination but I get that feeling that there is something there :/
    The foot's straight forward while the leg's angled 3/4 view. It does look a little bit odd. Also, I think the back foot being at a profile view is always a little weird looking. Other than that, it looks awesome! Great job!

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Hey man, this looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

JJorgie and Demon: Yeah, it does look weird. I have thought and tried some stuff out, and I believe the problem lies with the light value on the foot armor, since it's supposed to be positioned below the leg it should of course have a cast shadow on it. I considered your solution JJ, but I think that angling the foot inwards would throw the whole character off balance. I didn't upload a new version, but if you want to try my solution, feel free to just save down my sketch and open it in image edit of choice.

Almanac: thanx a lot dude

I've been unproductive, or rather not very creative, lately and so I've been playing with the drawing script, because I believe the best way to tackle drawing blocks is to battle through them.

First one, figure drawing so there's nudity and everything else we love about life. I'll put it in spoiler tags for the ones who have never seen a naked body before though
    SPOILER! :

Heads

At first I thought the girl in the upper right corner were a failure, she looked way too androgynous, but when I were done with all of the heads I found that it fitted extremely well with the girl biting at her own tongue. It's like some alternative version of Red Riding Hood.

This last one is made from a sketch I did years back. I don't have too much time to work on it right now, which may be as well; I don't really know where too take it from here. Any input appreciated

And as always I love to get comments and critique, you're all golden for helping me so much up too this point =) <3

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Pic 1: Good job on the figures.
    Pic 2: That's a huge neck. Is the girl in the right hand corner a vampire?
    Pic 3: Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

I like the motion of your robot..mecha...thing. I'm sorry if you labeled it up there, but anyway...

The one thing that really strikes me is how he is leaning. I feel like the bearing weight leg should be a little stronger, and the body is tipped a little bit so that he looks somewhat unbalanced. Either that or the one front leg should be angled a little bit closer or something.

I like the colors. I think it's dynamic. I'm too tired to say anything else. Good job.

@Al: thanks, and I don't know but she does have nice fangs
    @Sunny: Thanks, now I finally see why it feels wrong. I've kinda been beating myself over why it feels wrong, and I thought at first that it was the sloppy job on aligning stuff to perspective, and in the end it kind of is isn't it. The shoulders follow the same perspective as the abdomen, that's why the upper body feels like it's a falling fir. =D

I've already told you my thoughts but I just want to exclaim how awesome the one at the bottom is :3

Also on the portrait, the woman looking straight at us, I think her lips are slightly too big and are at an odd angle, her neck is also pretty long