Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubisko's Sketchbook

Pretty cool stuff. The alien and rat men look great.

@Shadowsfade: I'm glad you think so
    @Inferno: Thank you , and I'm happy to finally see some love for the ratmen :3 I hope you'll get to upload some of your stuff soon by the way, let me know when you do

I've never been able to keep any previous incarnation of a sketchbook alive for very long, so this time I'll try to make updates Monday every week at a minimum. I haven't been as creative this week as I were the last, so I threw in a sketch from life to thicken it out a bit. Not very exciting for you I know, but you guys have been an amazing help to me the last week and so I'm confident that you can help me spotting obvious errors in that piece too

Let's get the boring stuff done first. The problem with those is that I can't get any proper critique. As long as they are close enough to the subject matter people think it's good enough, and even when they see the subject matter from the same angle I drew it, with the sketch in hand they can't spot errors (because they can't draw themselves). If you see something, like angles that doesn't seem to match up, or if you know a better way to present stuff like this for critique, please let we know

The creepy dude in the corner was a mistake, I was doing sketches for the heavy pax armor I mentioned I would do, but instead I ended up with him. I kinda like him though, but I don't know who he is or what he do. Any ideas? The corvette is drawn from a photo I took a couple of weeks back.

This is the heavy pax suit I finally decided to go with. The idea is that, in the books the church sends its troops to destroy the ousters. They target ouster birthing chambers located in hollowed out asteroids, so they need to have some way to propel themselves, they need to be able to hold on to stuff (every little explosion could blast them off in space), and finally they need a lot of firepower. The weight of armor and gun doesn't matter in zero-g though, that's handy I guess.

As before, all critique and comments are welcome. I've said it above already but it's really true; you've been a big help to me the last week, and I really hope it shows in this week's drawings. Thank you for taking time to look and comment <3

First off, these are all awesome! With the spray bottle, the nosel/head of the bottle is at a different angle than the body. That's probably just the way the reference is lined up, but since there's no reference on here, it looks a little odd.

With the corvet, it seems like you'd be able to see the tops of the seats through the windshield.

Other than those small things, wonderful job! Keep up the amazing work! I hope I helped!

Those are so incredibly awesome Rubisko i think the last one is my favourite :P all I noticed was that the head of the spray bottle is at a weird angle I think, I look forward to more on Monday

I thought the same about the head at first - but those kinds of bottles you can normally twist the top to different angles, so I'm guessing that's how it was in the ref? However, with the left side, the top of the curve of the bottle seems wider than at the bottom - though again, as no ref, either this may be the case, or it may be due to the sides sloping differently, as these bottles can have strange designs sometimes!

As for both the suit designs, I think they both look awesome. On the last one though, (our) left thigh seems to be really short in comparison to the shin and the other leg.

Yup to all of you, I turned the nozzle to a different angle before I started to draw it, I thought that it would make for a more interesting challenge. I can't decide if it's good or not that you all spotted it though, but I guess I can only get better with practice anyway, so nevermind.

@JJ: Of course you helped I'm glad that you posted, and thank you so much for the "amazing" part
    @Demonfyre: Thank you, yeah I thought that the last one had the most substance of the last post too. Update Mondays is my minimum, I'll update whenever I have something that needs fresh eyes though.
    @Shadowsfade: The thigh is supposed to be a bit foreshortened, but I don't think it quite adds up now that you pointed it out. I should probably not have hidden the boot behind the other either, that adds to the problem I think. Thanks

Frogman, I guess. I'm starting to miss painting. At first I was tempted to put javelins or spears on his back, but in the end I thought that flutes were a better choice, because then he can play music. What do you think, would it have been cooler with a warrior frog. Should I have drawn it playing music? Should I draw a complete Frogman band? I think yes on the last one

I can't draw people, every time I try they turn in to monsters when I lose concentration. I guess that's what they call "bad people skills". So, dumdumdum, astrologers have proclaimed the Week of People, growth of People increased.
    Thank you for all your help and support so far, you're all great!

They may turn into monsters but DAMN do they look good. No crits from me man.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

No critiques from me, they both look incredible I love the way you used the rhythm technique on the second sketch and the fact he is wearing a sophisticated bowler hat

I agree with ged, I really like that man! nice hands / nose. That frog is totally awesome and YES YES you should draw a frog band xD

I see what you mean about the foreshortening. Perhaps by changing the position of the knee it would put it across more? Atm it's pointing outwards, so the leg is kinda turned to the side, so the leg can't be pushed too far forwards to give such dramatic foreshortening (i think)

Thanks you guys!

@Shadowsfade: Yeah, it's completely wonky :P Tnak you for the observations

So it's Monday once again, and I don't really have anything fun to show you this time either. Last week was people week, so I drew a lot of people, and I read a lot about drawing people. All that new knowledge kinda put me on an art block, so I had a hard time drawing anything else but people.
    Progress shot:

(You really don't have to critique those, in fact I don't want you to, I'm just trying to convince myself that I did good last week )

Oh yeah, just this afternoon I started to sketch ideas for the frog-band thingy. I've decided to make a nice painting of it now that I have a stylus again, so if you have input on my ideas before I start to paint it all nice I'd be grateful

See ya