Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubisko's Sketchbook

Rubisko's Sketchbook

So I've finally decided to get off my butt and actually starting to post stuff of my own here so that I can get better too. To begin with it will just be scans of pencil drawings, because I still haven't gotten my replacement stylus (the old one broke. Snapped into two bits actually)

You'll probably not believe me since I've just said that my stylus snapped in two bits above, but I'm very light-handed when I draw, so I had to do some digital tweaking with the scans to make the lines visible. But I didn't care/know enough to make them clean and neat so don't expect anything beautiful, ok.

Alright, let's start this thing off

I draw a lot of ratmen, I didn't write that tutorial here on the site that concerns ratmen though

Random Cartoony werewolf

I've just discovered that they're planning to make movies of the Hyperion Cantos. It's one of my absolute favorite book so I feel the need to draw and paint my version of everything in them before the first movie hits us.

I kinda liked this page, no idea what it is though, late night scribbles.

Any CnC welcome. Really, you can even say "hey, that piece is just boring" or "that one's cool". If you can tell me why you thought so you are even more helpful to me, but actually even just saying if you liked something or not is more helpful to me than if you don't say anything.

Over to you guys

I really like the creature design in that fourth image. The hands strike me as a little too elongated for the rest of it, but I'm guessing that might be intentional. The wings are impressive anyway, they look very organic.

the girl in the 3rd image (the 3/4 piece) has an odd face. all the componenets are well-drawn, but they're to low down on her face. if you could digitally tweak, i'd say move all her features up slightly, brcuase at the moment sh has a very short chin and a high forehead.

i really like the last one, it has such a nice flow

@Gaff: I'm really glad you like the wings, they were my main concern. And thank you for bringing my attention to the hands, they were meant to be very spidery, but now I see that they maybe are just too much considering that they aren't anything special in terms of design. I'll have to consider that in sketches to come.

@Rabbits: Oh yes, you're right. I really need to check my stuff upside down and in the mirror when I sketch traditionally I guess. Digital drawing really spoils you in that regard Now I notice that mouth and nose isn't even in the same grid as the head. Thank you and I'm happy that you like the last thingy, I really like it too for some strange reason.

Wow cool stuff - I really like the werewolf and the alien thing - and good idea to draw your versions before the film! Coz once you see the film you can never quite remember how you pictured them before..

I also really like the last one, it's kinda abstract enough that you can make your own mind about what's going on, but solid enough you can see things, like the arm/hand. Dont really have much to critique on! The woman's face in the helmet looking up, the furthest edge of the face, the shape doesnt seem 100% right to me, but I can't quite put my finger on what. It might just be the protusions of the helmet messes with my eyes or something! Great work though.

Very awesome character designs, dude. The especially love how super detailed the second to last one is

Great stuff tho, looking forward to more

@Shadowsfade: Haha, I think you are spot on on both things on the helmet-person. I wanted the protrusion to show, so I scaled off some off the cheekbone. A bad decision, I guess I should just have redrawn it, but I wasn't happy with the helmet anyway so I didn't. I promise to not cheat with the planes of the face in the future though, and I'm happy that you like my creatures

@Toast: Thanks! More will come. Like now

This is more stuff from the Hyperion Cantos, a lightly armored jumpsuit used by the Pax. Pretty much the latter half of the cantos concerns a few Pax soldiers who are gathered into a small task group that is supposed to capture a young girl for the Inquisition. I figured they had to be armored lightly and comfortably.
    Edit: A friend called on my door and wanted me to go out and run so I just finished the post after a sentence, I'll continue now:
    So I found out that markers didn't work that well when the area to mark is so large relative to the tip of the marker. Crits and comments are very welcome, and just as before; everything and anything goes, you have my thanks for every little bit you can help me
    Last edited by Rubisko; 07-20-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Ahh i know what you mean about pens, that's why i don't tend to use them! However, in most places in this drawing it kinda works, as it looks like it's giving a texture to the armour haha. Umm I dont really have much to critique... I think (our) right shoulder is a little too slanted to work, as it doesn't look like he has a proper shoulder

Dang, you're right. Lol, I spent like half an hour adjusting the perspective on the details of helmet, neck and symbols over and over again and then I goofed off on the shoulders. Thank you for taking time to look at it

Hah, no worries, we all do it! Your work paid off, the perspective is good, especially on the other shoulder