Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Wars PBP Brainstorming/Design Thread

Forum Wars PBP Brainstorming/Design Thread

I'm designing a game to play on forums. I'm using this thread for feedback and to make sure I remember to work on it. Its inspired somewhat by simRTK but meant to be much simpler.

I'm not certain I know how its going to work right now I'm just shotgun blasting ideas.

---Forum Wars PBP (Working Title)---

This is a game of conquest and diplomacy and stealing horses. It takes place on a world map (to be drawn at some point) where kingdoms fight for control. Players can wage war, do treacherous shit, or what have you.
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-15-2012 at 02:20 AM.

--Character creation--

You can start with a name and your character's general background. If your character is part of a noble house or is related to any other character you should put that down. Of course you want to state which Kingdom they belong to or if they are a wanderer.

Your character has three main attributes and you will divide 6 points amongst each of them. The minimum you can have in an attribute is 0 and there is no maximum.

War is your character's ability to lead troops into battle. You will use War whenever you are fighting with an army.

Dueling is your characters individual combat prowess. You will use Dueling whenever you fight alone.

Knowledge is not only how smart your character is but how much they know about the lore of the world and about ancient artifacts.

Next you choose your character's background which will give them a special ability.

Farmer - Farmers gain an extra resource every turnaround for each city owned by their kingdom.
    Scholar - Scholars can use their Knowledge attribute in place of War when fighting with an army.
    Soldier - Soldiers can add two men to the garrison of a city with one resource.
    Performer - A performer can travel to any city owned by their kingdom instantly once per day while alone.
    Merchant - Merchants get a discount of one resource on all items sold by the Trader and an additonal discount of one for every item they sacrifice.
    Horse Thief - Every turnaround the horse thief chooses one player and one city. That player is restricted from travelling to that city.
    Looter - Whenever a looter takes control of a city they get a random item.
    Burglar - Whenever a burglar wins a duel he takes an item of his choice from the losing player.

Your character is assumed to start with mundane equipment with no special properties but you will gain items during gameplay.

So by the end your character sheet should include this:

Name:
    Attributes
    -War:
    -Dueling:
    -Knowledge:
    Equipment: (None)
    Notes: (Here you can put notes about your character.)
    Bio: (And here is where your biography goes. Please put this in spoilers.)
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.

--The Flow of Game--

TIME
    Every week in real life is equal to a season in game, thus a every irl month is equal to a year in game time.

Seasons as of now are all the same with the exception of winter. During winter no battles may be waged and no player can enter enemy territory with an army.

TURNAROUND
    Every sunday is Turnaround. It establishes when one season ends and the other begins. There will likely not be any exact time for this to happen due to my erratic schedule but I will try to make it uniform.

At the beginning of every Turnaround every players' resources are refreshed. Resources do not carry over from the last season. You get 10 resources +1 for every city your kingdom controls.

ACTIONS
    You can perform any amount of actions in your turn assuming it is possible to do so and you have the necessary resources.

-Travel: Designate an area you want to travel to. See the travel rules for more detail.
    -Shop: If you are located in the same area as the Trader you may shop.
    -Garrison Troops: You can spend resources to add troops to the garrison of a city. It costs one resource per troop. Note the maximum amount of troops in a city is 10.
    -Wage War: If you arrive in an enemy city with an army you MUST fight to control it.
    -Send Resources: You can give resources to a player if they are in the same city as you or in an adjacent city.

The list will be updated as the game evolves. Until then everything else is acted through roleplay.

TRAVEL
    Traveling takes one day per city thus moving to an adjacent city takes a single day where moving to one 2 cities away would take 2 days. You are considered to have arrived at your destination at 12am central time the day of your expected arrival.

Passes can only be traveled alone while roads can be traveled alone or with an army.

OUTPOSTS
    Outposts are a special location. Nobody ever controls an outpost. Every time you arrive in an outpost you must pay a fine in resources. The fine's amount changes every turnaround.
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.

---Conflict Resolution---

At some point you will have to FIGHT for your RIGHT to do something.

The first thing you need to do in any conflict is decide the relevant attribute. If you are fighting with an army you will use your War attribute. Use Dueling if you are fighting alone and use Knowledge in battles of wits.

Now take the relevant attribute of the two characters involved and find the difference between the two. The character with the higher attribute gets a bonus equal to that difference.

So if Bob has War 5 and Jeff has War 4 than Bob gets a bonus of 1. This bonus is added to the following bid at no cost to resources.

Both players will then bid resources to see who wins the conflict. The attacker always bids first. The defender then needs to bid a higher number of resources to win. The attacker always wins ties.

After the victor is decided the LOSER narrates the outcome. This is to prevent characters from dying without the owners consent. The outcome should be logical and should not be twisted in any way to seem like a victory. Also all resources that were bid are lost after this regardless of who won.

ex. Bob bids 6 resources and has a bonus of 1 because his War stat is higher. Jeff decides that he can afford to lose this battle and decides not to bid so he loses. Jeff narrates his character losing men in a boulder attack and being forced to retreat.

TERRITORIAL DISPUTES:
    As stated before the attacker always bids first. Players will use their War attribute and the winner will gain control of the city. The losing player must automatically set travel to the closest friendly city. If there is no location for them to travel to (as in every surrounding city is enemy territory) they are considered captured.

If there is no player to defend the city the attacker must bid higher than the city's garrison rating to capture it.

JOINT CONFLICTS:
    Sometimes players may wish to team up to aid in a conflict. If multiple players are set to arrive in an enemy city on the same day they must combine their forces.

To do this you must choose which player will lead the attack. This player will bid as normal including bonuses. The allied players will simply add to the bid with no bonuses.

Defending works much the same as you will choose a leader and have allies add to the bid.

DUELING:
    To duel somebody a challenge must be issued. Dueling can be for fun or the players could decide on the stakes beforehand.

After the defender accepts, the attacker makes their post and bid. As usual the loser narrates the outcome but the loser is not required to leave the city.

FORCED DUELING:
    If there is an enemy alone in a city you control you may attack them without a challenge. Simply make a post saying you are attacking and bid. If they lose they are considered captured.
    Last edited by jubeh; 07-17-2012 at 03:21 AM.

---General Rules---

THE TRADER:
    The Trader will show up in a random city at a random time every season. If you are in the same city as him you are able to purchase his wares. Make sure you mark down what you purchase so that I can update the list of items. Its always assumed he carries only one of every item he presents.

WANDERERS:
    A player who is no affiliated with any kingdom is considered a wanderer or mercenary (it really doesn't matter what you call yourself). They are always considered alone and cannot lead an army.

ALONE VS WITH ARMY:
    Your character will either be alone or with an army. When alone you can enter enemy cities and not have to fight for control.

UPDATING:
    The player should always update their character sheet (in the character sheet thread) as much as possibly by simply editing their post. Location is extremely important as it will be what most players base their decisions on.

okay please post feedback and ideas and once its developed enough we could possibly playtest it

Ok so there will be a map so we know who's kingdoms are where and whose are next to each others

Also who/what decides when the trader shows up?

Map: Yeah there will be. I'm still deciding how to do that because updating an image every day would be a pain in the booty so I think I will just have a text map update every day and then a graphical map update every turnaround until I figure out a painless way to do it.

Trader: By me completely randomly. He will never show up on sunday also.

Sounds awesome!

The character sheet thread would probably get really messy though (if there are a lot of players). Maybe you could use something like a sared document or somehting.

I would love to playtest this!

If you are a merchant, or have merchants, to send them to sell stuffs, you must play the travel and then a negotiation or what?