Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: absolute truth??????

absolute truth??????

so as the topic states this thread is about absolute truth, and reasons way there is or isn't.
    basically I'm reading some books on subjects of Omnism and people creating their own religion and such. and so i seek public opinion at MT about whether there is any absolute truth and why or why not.
    just post your view on what truth is and why.

the only absolute truth is the physical world, everything else is just gravy

okay... and why is that?
    Last edited by greenfox; 10-16-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: felt the need to add an eillisis

"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

My friend Itachi Uchiha. Thus the notion of truth is merely in the eye of whoever questions it.
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 10-16-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Double post bug.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

But if truth is defined by whoever cares to define it then there is no truth but only opinions. Which means there is no right in the long run because right is whatever you want it to be. So Hitler was really an okay guy, he was just following truth as he saw it. Who am I to get in the way of his truth. Same thing with every other mass murderer or psychopath out there. if every one is right then nothing is wrong and everything is permissible. right?
    Last edited by greenfox; 10-16-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: i suck and spelling and grammar

There is of course, the problem of morals and such. But yes, truth is subject to the questioner, it is not a static object that can be defined by a neutral party.

but once again multiple and opposite view points can't all be correct at the same time. One man believes that fire will burn, and another man does not believe in fire at all. yet when both of them are stuck in a burning building the one who believes in fire will run out. the one who denies fire will stay be be burned. so there are undeniable laws of nature, those we can't just make up and change at our whims. so aren't we subjected to truth of nature and laws of science. isn't science the neutral party that defines truth. and the man who believes in fire or the scientist, also find truth.

I suppose you could say there are undeniable truths : you cannot jump out of a window from the 30th floor and expect to survive, even if you do not believe in gravity, nor can you deny that wind does not exist because you cannot see it. Truth is defined by one's experience in the world : what you live becomes your truth. If you are burned by fire, you will take steps thereafter to not repeat your mistake, you discover the truth about fire : it burns.

We haven't got to the subject of "Absolute truth" in our philosophy lessons, but I recall a lesson abut what true happiness is. That, along with truth, holds subjective parts to it. To Voltaire, to attain true happiness you must be rich and spend it on whatever takes your fancy, mainly booze and... whores. To him anyway. To others, true happiness lies not in the abundance of things, but in the simple things. Thus people talk of 'life's simple pleasures".

We could then say that everything has an element of truth to it, but another is subject to the individual. Only when all individuals are alike (and therefore, no more uniqueness) will a single truth be absolute.

- - - Updated - - -

Sous les pavès, la plage.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing like a philosophical debate on a Wednesday afternoon to remind me of what an empty life I live.

I am reading your argument as best I can so forgive me if i misinterpret... I still don't under stand if your saying there is or is not an "Absolute truth"
    as you've said there are undeniable truths: gravity, science, etc... and there are truths we create by our encounters, shaping what we believe and what our definition of truth is. therefore we all find truth through living. but that assumes that there are no lies, which brings us back to morals. if there is no wrong then why do we know there is wrong. or assume there is such a thing as evil. does a fish know it is wet if it spends it whole time in water. no. why would we ever consider the fact that there is such a thing as evil, if evil does not exist.
    Last edited by greenfox; 10-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    "Reality is that which does not go away when you stop believing in it." Philip K. Dick.

I'll weigh on this properly tonight or tomorrow. But really it's a question of both metaphysics and to an extent epistemology. I think any question of the former invariably involves elements of the latter. What's real and how do we know?

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!