Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loosening up: A video everyone should watch

Loosening up: A video everyone should watch

Something a lot of beginners have problems with is that they're really timid and constrained with their lines, which can really reduce your overall skill in drawing. This dude shows you how to really loosen up and be more confident with your strokes:

Hm.... Ima favorite this, not that I'm a beginner anymore, I am getting better, but I still have a hard time drawing nice smooth lines. I'm always afraid I'll fuck up so I draw a series of little lines, is no good, I know.
    Life is like a book, in that the avoiding experiences is like skipping a page, and staying in on weekends is like skipping a chapter.

That's a cool idea! Thanks for posting it, toast!
    Last edited by JJJorgie; 07-12-2012 at 02:10 AM.

smooth lines help after you've roughed out, then you can just follow a line down to it's completion, if that makes sense :/ i do that alot :3

drawing little lines isn't always bad, though. i use small precise strokes when i ink my drawings by hand, and it makes it alot easier to build up curves and line depth. but this is a good video, thanks toast

Very useful, thanks for posting it up toast
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 07-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.

np guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WhenRabbitsAttack View Post
    smooth lines help after you've roughed out, then you can just follow a line down to it's completion, if that makes sense :/ i do that alot :3

drawing little lines isn't always bad, though. i use small precise strokes when i ink my drawings by hand, and it makes it alot easier to build up curves and line depth. but this is a good video, thanks toast
    I guess do whatever works for you when it comes to lineart. The thing is, a lot of the times when a beginner is sketching, he/she worries more about the lines and details of the sketch instead of the overall picture. Loosening up and being able to sketch more quickly and neatly will prolly help them overall with symmetry and composition in their piece. It'll also just be more comfortable and less stressful

Besides, it makes for a faster work flow. Example, it took me like 6 seconds to make multiple little lines, and 2 seconds to make 2, smooth lines:

SPOILER! :

Really? So, when I've mastered this technique instead of taking an hour to sketch something it could probably just take mhalf of that, maybe less?
    Life is like a book, in that the avoiding experiences is like skipping a page, and staying in on weekends is like skipping a chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    Really? So, when I've mastered this technique instead of taking an hour to sketch something it could probably just take mhalf of that, maybe less?
    I hope your right because being able to cut down the time by half would be incredibly useful

It could, Liebe. Just don't get ahead of yourself and rush the drawings. Then, you'll just end up discouraged with a sloppy picture.