Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using my name as a blog domain name?

Using my name as a blog domain name?

I have a new blog where I post short fantasy stories every day. I don't know if I made a huge mistake by using matthewdellar.com instead of something that better suggests the topic, like something with "fantasy" in the name.

From Google, I learned:
    1. If it's a personal blog where you spill your thoughts, you can use your name.
    2. If you intend to monetize, in general, don't use your name.

I don't know which of those two the blog is for. I intend to sell books in the future, but the short stories I post are completely free.

Writer's Digest holds that writers should register their names as domain names as soon as possible, so I did that. Only then did I learn that there was another side to that advice. So what do I do? I don't have a big enough following to be hurt if I switched domains, and I have the money to do so, but I don't want to switch if possible because I've heard that having your name attached to a blog can help you get published.

-

This may be the wrong site for the question. I'm not active on any others, though, nor do I know any writers in real life to contact for advice. Google isn't helping either.

Why would you use your name unless you are famous that's an awful idea just awful

WOW

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I'd get this moved to the not spam part of MT, Matt.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Where else does it go? My blog is fiction writing, but I don't think it goes in the writer's area because this is more a marketing question. General discussion, maybe? Maybe. Jubeh, if this is in the wrong place, would you move it if it's no trouble, please?

Why would you use your name unless you are famous that's an awful idea just awful

WOW
    Half the comments I read off various Google searches said almost exactly that and the other half said it was fine. Maybe I should just start tallying the answers from those sites?

I am telling you the correct answer

i think the only problem with using your real name is if it makes it easy to find out info on where you live and stuff. if you guard all of your other information and the only thing that peoiple have access to is your work and your name, it should be fine.

Using just your own name doesn't tell people what the blog is about. You want something that will make people want to check the blog out.

@Jubeh - I agreed with you at first, but I just did some more research and am still on the fence.
    @WRA - I don't think that's much of a problem with me. I'm not posting anything that would tempt anyone to assassinate me.
    @JJJorgie - Very true. That's one of the reasons I agreed with Jubeh at first. Again, still on the fence for the following reasons:

From Sitepoint:
    Sometimes, it isn’t a bad idea to register several similar domain names. If you have "yourname.com", register "yourname.net" so no one else takes it. You can register your full company name and a shorter, easier to remember version. Some people even register common misspellings of their company’s name. (You don’t need a separate Web page for each. Several domains can point to the same Website.)
    This, I thought, was kind of a selfish ego thing, but it's a valid point now that I look at it. If another person with my name or something close to it establishes success under that name, I'd have a terrible time getting my own name known and differentiated from his. I aspire to be an author, so my name would be fairly important to business. I kinda hate how writers' names are bigger than the titles of their books these days, but it's an important selling point.

From Steve Pavlina's forum:
    Pro - It centers your website around you. Many blogs and websites appear lifeless if they are just about a niche. Making your blog share the same name seems to center your blog more around your personality and identity than topic. Steve's website really isn't personal development it is infused with the philosophy and ideas that make up Steve. People like brands that have human personalities.

Con - You aren't going to have new visitors doing web searches through your name. Plus this personality comes at a cost, it makes it more difficult to add guest bloggers, or content that doesn't vibe with your personality.
    My site is for writing, not me--but it's my writing all the same. I don't plan on guest bloggers, nor do I plan on posting anything but short fantasy.

From Dailyblogtips:
    Scenario 2: You want to start a blog to promote your personal brand or your services. This could include writers, consultants, painters, lawyers and so on.
    Ideal domain name: YourName.com. Keep in mind that in this scenario I am not talking about professionals who want to promote their companies. For those a domain with the name of the company is obviously preferred. I am talking about people who make money thanks to their personal brands, like Seth Godin.
    I fit the description of this scenario. But:

On the other side of the fence, I'm not a professional writer, and no, my name is not recognized, nor is my blog promoting finished, published books I've written. I think it could be prudent to establish a name before using my name as a domain name. My name doesn't tell anyone what I write or what the site is about. Contrary to that point, I don't know the domain names of many of the sites I visit regularly. I recognize about half the sites I go to by their content, not what they're called.

In the end, I just don't know. I get paid tomorrow, and I should make a decision by then to either put some money toward a new domain or keep what I have.

dont do it

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    do it
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."