Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanako Manga Project ~

:L

Lol, why is everyone against me? I didn't decline him,I didn't criticize him (not intentionally) and I know the position I'm in.

It was a misunderstanding,is all.

1. He said secondly after stating he wanted to do it for experience, "whats in it for the artist",as in compensation. This is where it seemed like aside from experience he wanted to know if there was money involved,in which I countered that he should see if he could do a sketch drawing to show first.

2. I'm an artist also,Ive done "gigs" like this for other people also with animations/art/stories,for free. I did it while balancing a job,school,and home issues. I get how hard it is to do,but I hate when people over exaggerate on how hard it is for someone to do something when they don't know the person or their story. I could be a mangaka and say its hard to get into the business to a kid and blah blah blah,but depending on the person,who knows how they feel,how passionate they are,their history,etc.So you cant generalize people based on your own experiences,'cuz you might not know things that they do.

3. Whether for free or not,I'm just looking for someone to draw out my story in the style I see it as. They don't have to draw my characters if they don't want to,specifically,I just need someone to cover the areas I'm bad at,like background/scenery. If its for free,fine. If its paid,fine. But I will have it drawn in "that" style,regardless.

4. I didn't "meh" his art, everyone has their opinions in what they like and don't like. Me saying "meh" just means some art on his page is not the kind of style I was looking for. Though,this doesn't mean he cant do such style or that hes not a great artist,nor does it mean that I know how good he really is.For all I know,his gallery might be 3 years old,who knows. I haven't seen anything relevant on his gallery to the style I'm interested in,hence why Id like people to submit a sketch of a character of mine,because I know how my characters look and I know the style I want, relevant to how I perceive the art wanted. :L

So~, all in all,this wasnt to be rude,or offend either one of you. I am just tryin to clarify what ive said, as sometimes Im vague. :T

~ Serious Inquiries Only - Whether free or not.
    Last edited by tag654; 10-09-2013 at 03:48 AM.

I only want to tell you that most likely youll only attract people new to art or people who dont recognise the value of what they are making. In short, and by no means im thinking thats your intention; this is concidered exploitation. People should be aware that the work they do for you would be paid work in any other situation.

Im not against you, i said in my previous reply that i wont be personal about this.

Art is a job, and asking for a free work, especially a long term project, is on the border of being rude. You dont ask your dentist to check your teeth for free either, or any other service you want to make use of. I dont ask you to stop trying to find an artist for free, i just ask you to be aware of where your position of this all is. I wouldnt turn down offers just because the style doesnt fit completely. Big chances are youll end up with nobody if you dont get more lenient.

I DO want you to find somebody, but your position in this all simply doesnt allow you to be as picky as you are. Be very very glad that theres even someone applying to your requests and standards, and be even more glad that its someone with the skill set of james not only on art but also on dedication and planning. Youll need that too when working over the internet with such a long project.
    Last edited by Callesthe; 10-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Ah I see.

I really hope for you and any potentional partner you do. P:

I do too,lol. I might ask to take this post down or move it to the paid section,though im currently broke right now,so itd do no good to set things up and then have to wait.

gah~ if only money wasnt an issue. :L

Any artist that agrees to do this for free, you should definitely give a certain percentage of any money you make from the finished comic (if you do decide to sell it whether online or published), at least as a "thank you for bringing my story to life" to him/her. The crediting an artist for making the art is already a given considering that if you refuse, the artist can very well take action against you, so that part of the deal isn't going to draw anybody in.

^Just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

Money makes the world go round
    You can always consider going down the road of practice, and illustrate your own manga c:

Lulz, I'll just add my 2 cents to further this discussion a bit. Also, I'm in no way trying to be insulting or what not, but Tag, you gotta be real here. I'm not sure how much knowledge you have about the art/ comic industry, but much like Demonfyre and Callesthe have said, you are in no position to be picky about what artist you are getting.

As an artist, and as an artist who have been hired by comic companies for freelance work, no artist, and I mean it, NO artist of his calibre, would even have consider doing any work for free. Most of his deviant page are old material, if you had taken the time to look at his art thread here, you would realize he has grown to be a much better artist. Drawing a comic is no easy task, there is a lot of planning, and time involve. Most professional comics are done by a team of dedicated individuals.

Not to mention, usually only people who are directly involve with the story, would be willing to help out for free. To some people its a passion project, but to many others (not all), its just another job for experience and income.

Just a word of advice, if this is a story you treasure, and you want to make it far, even publish, I would suggest not to look for an artist now. Save up some money, look for a professional, and hire someone. There are a lot of individual artist who do all the work (paneling/ sketch/ ink/ background/ colour) and some of them the price arent super expensive (USD80-USD95 a page is consider low).

Again, I'm not bashing you, just a word of advice. If you want to pay some one USD30 or even get free art work, I would suggest looking around the deviant art forum. There are a lot of artist that charge relatively low prices there :P

Again, hope this will only benefit your future. good luck finding your artist.

80-90$ a page :0 I see. gah.

I think,I'll wait til I save enough I guess. Im assuming Ive lost the chance through this to work with demonfrye because of the carelessness of my words. I treasure my story enough to put it on hold until my financial issue is stable.

This is one of two stories I was hoping to move forward with in order to start writing again and actually get everything moving with "Hanako" but I guess since Im "not in the position" to really get a "professional" and its harder to get someone who is skilled and will do it for free or a low price,that I will go with my other story which involves me animating it,and use Youtube to gain a following ,in which I can get an artist who will help knowing my skills,etc. We'll see though,my problem is just that,if I can get something done faster,then I will,and if not then I just have to go down the harder path then :L