Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanako Manga Project ~

Hybrid View

Post Hanako Manga Project ~

Greetings all,

Imma keep this short

I am an animator,artist,writer,producer,and a video editor,I am very talented when it comes to anything media related.I am an animator at heart,but I write stories also,stories and ideas with a lot of passion and creativity.

Though,even so, as talented as I am with knowing how to do these things,I am not proficient in any of them.

I am decent,maybe amateurish in all of them,except animation.Though,I have motivation to try and strengthen all of these areas and so,with my second passion,writing,I decided to write a story.

This story is about a girl named Hanako.Hanako wakes up in a hospital with no memory of anything that has happened,not even her name for the most part. As she takes a few days to recover,,the doctor who is caring for her,Doctor Robec, takes her in finding out she has no family. As the days unfold,Hanako soon remembers her dark past and recalls memories that will change her world forever.

If your interested in this story,please check out the first chapter here:

http://kingfromhatena.deviantart.com...romHatena&qo=0

I am looking for an artist,but not any artist.I am looking for someone who likes the story and sees potential in it to be able to draw out the chapter for me,providing I show them maybe what I see the characters looking like,etc. I want someone who likes to draw,but is also good at drawing,as I am looking for something less cartoony and more towards realistic,but it doesn't have to be too realistic,lol.

Whether you wish to post here,or E-mail me,or even hit me a msg through my Deviantart is fine.

Email: yeahmantag654@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Tag

Tip for the future;

I am an animator,artist,writer,producer,and a video editor,I am very talented when it comes to anything media related.I am an animator at heart,but I write stories also,stories and ideas with a lot of passion and creativity.
    Though,even so, as talented as I am with knowing how to do these things,I am not proficient in any of them.
    Don't build yourself up ("I am very talented"), only to make it all completely meaningless by undermining yourself ("I am not proficient").

Anyway, I may be interested, though more for the experience than anything else. However I am curious what is in it for the artist? Money? DA points? Are you looking for a free service? For the experience? These are details I feel that you should have included, since, they are large factors which will sway an artist's decision towards or against your cause. But to not include them... makes things difficult.

Sell yourself.

EDIT: Also I find that the story is rather... well, archetypal. However, there is potential for quite a lot of visual symbols etc, which could work to its benefit. How would you react to an artists individual ideas from the visual point, i.e. expressing their own themes and ideas?
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 10-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Sorry about that. :L

I wasn't trying to build myself up.I was trying to say that,I have a lot of skills to offer besides just being a writer,but to balance that out,I wanted to mention Im not the best at any of them,but have knowledge that may be beneficial.

As to the compensation. Well, I guess it depends what the artist wants. I am willing to pay,but dont have much money to hand out until maybe around early next year. Though if ,its something manageable,fine as long as the artist is happy and we can work together to get this thing up and running.I prefer someone who doesn't mind doing it just for the experience and because they feel this story can go somewhere,but again,it depends on the artist.

I strongly encourage feedback from anyone I introduce to my story,whether it'd be the artist,or a random critique.

I feel this story,with the right artist,can really blossom like the name suggests.

Id be lucky to get anyone willing to help me out with this.

P.S - Yes,the story itself does start off a bit archetypal,but as the story progresses it definitely turns into something far more unique than a lot of the stories people have heard before IMO.
    Last edited by tag654; 10-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.

I wasn't trying to build myself up.I was trying to say that,I have a lot of skills to offer besides just being a writer,but to balance that out,I wanted to mention Im not the best at any of them,but have knowledge that may be beneficial.
    Fair enough be careful then, don't want to send the wrong message O_o

Hmm, okay, well I think it would be beneficial to include a recommended rate, or what you can/are willing to pay. But as I said, I may be interested, right now I can't since uni and stuff, but once I get some free time. This would be more for an academic reasoning to get some real experience and such; but that would work in both our favors regardless.

Lol,kk Ill remember that then

Willing to pay...gah,idk...I cant get too flexible, due to my own academic funds,my father gives me 100 dollars a month,though I still have fees and food that I have to buy and stuff. So If its cool with you, maybe between the range of FREE - 30$ lol,haha. I may be able to go higher if the artist is willing to wait a month or so for my next reimbursement.

( I will be getting a better job soon also,so this will help tremendously,but for now,its rough.)

Though,like I was saying. I am really particular in the art style that the artist does,I feel it needs to be sort of a semi - realistic art style and there isnt enough material on your deviantart that persuades me that you can produce this type of style,and quality.

So to not waste my time and whoever the artist may be,Ill ask for a clean sketch or a detailed drawing of a character on my DeviantArt Page : http://kingfromhatena.deviantart.com/

This is only to assure me that you can provide the style and detail that this story needs. All in all,If I can find the right artist for the right price,and they can do the style needed for this manga to really seem professional,then it might turn into a really good partnership,in where we can submit it for publishing and split the earnings and such.

Last edited by tag654; 10-07-2013 at 07:01 PM.

What kind of style are you looking for to be exact, there are a lot of variations of semi-realistic styles, maybe some samples of what you are looking for would help us see whether our skills would cater for you needs or not.

Also, if you are trying to find a GOOD artist, with a fee ranging from free - $30 for a manga page, in all honestly, no offence, good luck :P

Okay,so I dont really know if its semi realistic,but Its a style where the noses of anime characters are usually represented by two small lines instead of one line,etc and have a slightly more realistic face.

Not the best of examples but hopefully you get the picture.

"Also, if you are trying to find a GOOD artist, with a fee ranging from free - $30 for a manga page, in all honestly, no offence, good luck :P "

Lol,well obviously. If I get a GOOD artist,Id be able to put more money down knowing that they can do what it takes to draw the story. Now I cant offer some huge amount like anything close that publishing companies can,but I mean,If someone will do a chapter for me,for whatever they wanna charge and we negotiate then we migght be able to go forward to try and both get published so we can get paid how we want and not just the small bucks. Though,thatd mean the artist truly believes in how far the story can go. So if I had someone like that, Im hoping Id pay them first,they do the chapter and after that,whether they wanna do some more for a lower price with the goal of being published then all should work out. :L

I only said Free-30$ because in all honesty,its up to the artist's ability and what they want. I could care less if I gave someone 100$ or 1000$, as long as I KNOW that theyre in it for the long run,and know that we can and will both get published,so yeah.

*P.S I dont have 1000$,just an example,lol. XD

Quote Originally Posted by tag654 View Post
    Though,like I was saying. I am really particular in the art style that the artist does,I feel it needs to be sort of a semi - realistic art style and there isnt enough material on your deviantart that persuades me that you can produce this type of style,and quality.

So to not waste my time and whoever the artist may be,Ill ask for a clean sketch or a detailed drawing of a character on my DeviantArt Page : http://kingfromhatena.deviantart.com/
    (Under the assumption that this was directed at me; please read on)

I'm sorry, but I am not of the opinion you are in a position to be "picky" about your artists criteria. Demanding a drawing is understandable for paid work, but considering I was offering my services for free... such a notion is rather insulting. If you are not happy with the way I draw then fair enough, you don't have to choose me. I am not unreasonable and all I can do is continue to make suggestions at the best of my ability. But I’m not going to go "prove myself" when I was offering my own services completely for free. I was trying to help out, so why should I need to submit a form and get checked out prior? (Gross exaggeration to get across my point…) As far as this engagement goes, I was volunteering, not trying to apply for a job.

Next:
    As far as my "style" goes in comparison to those samples you put up, I don't see much difference to be honest (other than obvious differences such as traditional vs digital, and cel shading over my preferred option of soft shading). They are the same proportions, the same anime/manga inspiration etc. But again, my above paragraph is why I am slightly upset.

Quote Originally Posted by tag654 View Post
    This is only to assure me that you can provide the style and detail that this story needs. All in all,If I can find the right artist for the right price,and they can do the style needed for this manga to really seem professional,then it might turn into a really good partnership,in where we can submit it for publishing and split the earnings and such.
    If you don't have the capabilities to pay for the work (hire an artist/commission the pages) then you forfeit the ability to be picky about what you want. You need to be resourceful. As Iccy said, good luck finding someone if you aren't willing to be lenient at such a price range.

And frankly, why does the comic NEED to be in that style? There are hundreds of styles out there; why so specific? Manga doesn't equal an instant ticket to success if that is what you are looking for. Look at other artists and stories with unique art styles, not everything is a manga.

Concluding points;
    If you do have the money then I think you are advertising in the wrong place, because frankly you will need a professional for the work you are looking for.
    Have you looked into the legal aspects of joint projects? How is the partnership going to work? How will the copyrights be shared (especially with characters)? There is a massive depth to this you need to consider, ESPECIALLY when this is a deal over the internet.

Anyway... rage over.

Edit: Let me be clear, this is for YOUR benefit, not mine. I am not writing all of this for the sake of it. I just hope you appreciate that an ambitious idea like this will not be a simple task and you must be prepared to remain committed. Since, if you cannot... how do you expect an artist to?

Final Edit: Do you have a design concept/details for Hanako?
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 10-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.

lol,woah there.

I think weve all had a misunderstanding.

Im sorry if I came to be a little insultine,etc.

So to explain clearly, the reason why this thread is here and not in the paid section is because If I can,Id like it to be free work. Then again I dont mind paying,but if I do Id like to know that im paying for the type of quality/style I see this being.

That wasnt really directed torwards you,or your art.what I meant is that,on your devianart page,I saw some good stuff and then stuff that was meh. Even if its for free,Id like someone to show me they can at least do close to the style,it doesnt have to be perfect like a paid job ,but yeah.

But the other reason I said that,was because you sounded like you wanted to be paid for it...though what kind of person would I be If I let someone do something for free,and they arent gaining anything. If you want something in return,whether itd be money or not,Id like this to befenit us both in someway.

As to the specific art style,well it's just that of a director. Director see a specific location scene where something will take place and theyre mind and make it happen. I see this specific style which is sort of realistic as in faces. If youve ever watched enough genres of anime,youll notice that certain genres have specific styles like shoujo usually involves the 1 line representing the nose,larger eyes,etc.So when I say style,I just mean face-wise.

As to the legal stuff,simply art belongs to the artist,the character concepts and how they look is based upon my drawings and story,but what the artist draws is copyrighted to them and the story to me,unless the artist wishes to share everything 50/50,in which case itll be half on everything.

I am commited always,this story will not die until I finish it,and with or without an artist,I will finish it and probably go down the novel route.If I can do a graphic novel/manga,then Ill need an artist. I want to try asking around before I go down the novel route,cuz you never know.

As to the concept,Ive been working on this story for close too 2 years in a month. I have an entire map of the whole story,I then went in and filled in and detailed probably about 20-25 chapters out of maybe idk close to 100-120. I finished my first somewhat official chapter a few weeks ago. I have also been drawing and improving my main characters drawings over time , as you may see on my deviantart. But characters and front posed faces are about all Im confidently good at when it comes to drawing,so yeah.

Long story short,If I can get an artist then perfect,whether its paid or not,thats good knowing that ill be going down the graphic route,which I prefer. If I dont by the end of this year (my self set time limit) then Ill do novel.

So yeah. lol

Hey i read this discussion just now and to be honest i agree with the demonfyre on a lot of points. First a disclaimer that all im writing is just to give more insight into this discussion and is by no means directed personally at anyone in particular.

When you are talking about asking stuff for free i strongly encourage you to accept this offer. To be honest you should praise yourself amazingly lucky by this offer of demonfyre. I can assure you youll never find anyone even remotely as good as him for free. We are artists and everyone with even some apparent skill has invested hours and hours practicing to hone their skills. If you ask the demonfyre to work for free, he not only gives away drawings, but also months of dedicated practice, and even more time dedicated to your story.

Ill be here to burst your bubble: artists arent going to plead to spend time on your story. Its sad but true. The demonfyre didnt offer his services for free because he was so eager to draw your characters and ideas, he wants experience and practice. This on its own is already a beautiful offer. If he really wanted he could have started his own project. He has one he could draw instead of yours. And even though he wasnt sure about your story at first, he offered his services to help YOU out with himself on the second place.

If i were you id lower my standards artwise and not 'meh' his art. Youre not in that position unless you take out some serious money. Then well talk further.