Thread: Adobe Programs Now Subscription-Based

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar

Adobe Programs Now Subscription-Based

Not sure how many of you have heard about this but earlier this year, Adobe made an announcement that their software lineup will now be available on a subscription-based model from now on. Adobe CS6 will essentially be the last physical-based software from Adobe. If you want to get your hands on their latest software's, you have to pony-up a monthly fee (prices range depending on how many software's you use) or a yearly fee.

There's an article here but essentially, the pro's and cons are:

Pro's:
    -Always get the latest version of your software
    -Everything is in the cloud so you can access your files on the go
    -You don't have to buy two versions; software is available for use/installation on both PC and Mac.
    -Monthly fee is (so far) reasonable (for example, Photoshop is $30USD a month or $240 a year)

Cons:
    -Bad deal on those with small budgets (small studios, students, start-ups) who can only upgrade every other or third year (if ever)
    -If you stop your subscription, you will not be able to use the program anymore
    -You can access your files but you will not be able to edit them because of above reason
    -Subscription price may increase in the future at any time at Adobe's whim

Thoughts? Comments?

Seems like a good idea, allows more flexibility as dropping all the cash in one go needed to buy just Photoshop is quite substantial, and I can't imagine Adobe changing prices willy-nilly, as people would just buy the product if they messed about to much.
    SPOILER! :

This, or just do what I did, and grab .dll cracks. Works so far.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

I'm not saying that pirating is the answer, buuuut...

Hush hush, it's a secret. No spoilers remember? XD

I find this quite interesting, but its a huge turn off for me. For long term, I would prefer to just buy the software and have it forever, regardless of whether I make use of it or not. Long term I feel like it would hurt the person using it. I mean some people may afford it but still. I feel like its just another gimmick :/

I'll be sticking with my cs6, thanks adobe :/

I'll stick with what I have. Monthly subscriptions have always turned me off of otherwise decent products.

Also, why not just release CS7 along with CC? Seems like it would satisfy more people, e.g. customers in rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Jesus O_O" credits to the hackers, I thought Adobe security close to unhackable (Not finished products, cause well...) But then again I thought the same for the old ps3 security measures.

I have to say the nay-no for the subs too. I mean, not everyone's in a position to do that. Adobe's sorta of a standard though. I think people will begrudgingly go along with it because they have no choice. I'm looking for something new to use.

Glad to be back btw wuzzup peoples!