Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Perfect" Difficulty

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar

The "Perfect" Difficulty

Name a game (and the difficulty you played on) that you believe has the "perfect" difficulty for a game.

I ask because recently a lot of people have been whining that modern games are mostly "too easy". And then in the opposite camp you have people whining that games that deliberately try to be challenging (Mega Man Zero, Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, etc.) are "too hard". So I feel like the gaming industry is stuck in this infinite limbo where they can never quite make a perfectly difficult game. In other words, a game that requires the perfect portions smarts, strategy, patience and skill to conquer.

So I wanted to see what games people thought were "just right".

The vintagevania games have amazing difficulty balancing. I feel like Dark Souls was just right, and Demon's Souls was close but had a lot of problems.

I think its pointless to try and find that one difficulty everyone agrees on, though.

One thing I think people get wrong with difficulty levels is making 'easy' not be easy. Easy mode is basically a concession that you are not looking for a challenge and probably want to just play the game for the story or for some other reason. Yet we design our easy mode like we do our default difficulty, making it harder as it goes along. I maintain that easy mode should always be easy. Don't even bother to balance it. Make it braindead. Balance the game's default difficulty for your intended audience. Hard mode is YOUR difficulty.

It's like when I was taking audio class the teacher said find the bass levels you find acceptable... and then turn it down a bit for normal people.

Yeah I don't see how Dark Souls is seen as "too hard". It only tests your patience enough to slightly annoy you. And besides, the difficulty was a direct result of how you were playing/using your resources, so it could be as easy as you made it (Drake Sword).

And to add onto your point about "easy mode", I feel like people who complain games are "too easy" have trouble appreciating the evolution of games from simply games to much fuller experiences. Or just take them for granted. We've gone from games that have 35 minutes of content that takes hundreds of hours to beat, simply because of crushing difficulty. To games with 40 hours of content that take...well...40 hours to beat. But along the way you can enjoy some kick ass story, cutscenes, interactive sequences and deeper gameplay that goes beyond memorization.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    All I can think of is Soul Reaver and The Last of Us, maybe RE4.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Been a long time since I played soul reaver but I do remember the pacing being spectacular.

Vindictus, actually. Lower level dungeons have slower, stupider bosses, endgame has fast, intelligent and relentless boss battles that when soloing can take the better part of an hour on Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I feel like Dark Souls was just right, and Demon's Souls was close but had a lot of problems.
    thats funny cuz i woulda said the opposite. to me demons souls was a good difficulty level but dark souls was a bit easier with more tedious parts to it

Yeah but do you remember having to grind for grass in demon's souls.

I don't remember ever having to grind in Dark Souls thankfully.

They negated that with the flasks. In the first game you had to grind for healing items or just somehow ascend to super saiyan and never get hit.