Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The White Knave's drawings.

You had a lot of critique so i'm just going to go on the assumption that none of what I am about to type has been pointed out (don't have enough time currently to read through them all). Anyway; I would really consider using softshading over cel shading. For two reasons. One: you must understand that before you can accurately cel shade efficiently. Two: a lot of the details are lost and become a bit... well, confusing to put it kindly. Take the mouth for instance. I assume they are supposed to be lips, but because it's a single block of colour all I can conclude is that she either wears lots of lipstick, or has no teeth.

The neck is oddly consturucted. Generally a neck would the a slightly curved cylinder (to imitate the cervical region of the spine), and then with that you can apply muscles such as Sternocleidomastoid and the Trapezius. However your neck appears to taper outwards as it is joining to the body. Now I believe this was your attempt at introducing the trapezius to the neck, however to avoid this issue, I find it is easier to first of all draw the cylinder for the neck, then the shoulders, adding the trapezius last so you can avoid it looking incorrect. Here is a doodle I did in case I don't make any sense O_o

EDIT: Also since her left arm is being raised by the rotator cuff (muscles associated with movement of the upper arm), many of them will be bundling together to pull the shoulder girdle upwards. I think you would see the "double hill" shape slightly as the deltoid and trapezius pull together to raise the arm up. Here is a more exaggerated and poorly drawn version of what I mean;

In the context of the pose;

Last edited by Demonfyre; 10-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks for the tip man, appreciate it. The lip had been black-lined, aaaaaaaaaaaaand I was just trying to add base colors with no shading, which is why it looks f**king ugly to say the least. I tried to fix it with Trace numero 6, but did the blackline AGAIN!

Tbh, I used a base pose I found on the internet and copied it with a grid, so I shall try to fix that with Trace n7! No black lined lips with that report either!!!
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

I've worked on Riven again, be finished tonight if all is well (and provided I don't sleep on her again -___-"), with a less curved neck, which I guess was the problem, no? Well that's what I thought it was anyway.
    But, I reply once again to discuss, once again (this repeat -.-) what is going through my err... How do I put this? Bizarre mind. All questions are on the paper, and help looking into weapon design would be appreciated, as I need a pretty gunblade for one of my ideas. I'll post the scans when they upload, so in about 5 minutes. Also, Riot released a new theme song for Jinx, it's amazing I recommend you go see it ^^. It's called (ironically) Get Jinxed.

Edit : Scan 1 up, waiting for second one. I must warn you, they will be placed in spoilers, because my mind isn't pretty. (Nothing NSFW, just FUBAR, yes that's it! FUB... uhuh once was enough)

Edit 2 : Oh dear... Well, be careful when you open these. I beseech thee, beware.

SPOILER! :

The heart thing was something me and a few friends used to do when I was at my old school. I didn't realize that it actually trained to use shading, so I started it again ^^
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 10-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Hey So first of all I love how enthusiastic you are, and how willing you seem to be to practice and put in the effort to improve. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your new drawings! I dont really have any specific comments on the most recent practice sheet, but I do have some general advice for your art as a whole. I checked through your thread to make sure I wasn't repeating something someone had already said, but here it is. I used to say this to basically everyone when I posted here more frequently, but dude. Practice figure drawing! Practicing anatomy is good, and practicing how to draw different styles of eyes and mouths is awesome too, but figure and gesture drawing will really help you. It forces you to draw quickly at first, capturing the movement and flow of the body, before you move in on the details. This is one of my personal favorite resources: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/

It lets you practice with pictures of models since finding real life models can be difficult. There are other pieces of advice I could give and tutorials I could link you to, but I find it overwhelming sometimes. It's easier to start practicing when you have one thing to focus on, than it is to realize there are so many things you want to improve. So for now I recommend working on anatomy because it'll help you in the long run.

I really hope that was helpful... and keep up the good work!!! <3

I practice a lot of poses, different parts of the body at a time. It's just that those particular sheets had some ideas on it I wanted to share and need some help on. Thanks for the comment, I love this community.

SaDlY, JINX HAS ARRIVED! Ima geek on league like a no-life until she gets nerfed, so drawing will have to wait. Or better yet, drawings of Jinx! <3<3<3

Thank you MT for everything, you are helping me more than anyone else ever could <3 I promise that my next post will actually have something in it worth looking at.
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 10-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.