Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The White Knave's drawings.

Hybrid View

The White Knave's drawings.

Hi all,

So I started last Monday to draw something more than tribal thingies in the corner of pages. I started my first serious drawing slap bang in the middle of my History lesson, and after a total of 3 hours, 1/8 of a rubber and half of my patience, I arrived at this :

Now I have noticed myself a few problems with this, but this was done without any shape or form of a tutorial, I just picked up my pencil and wham, this happened. However, I must admit i cheated on the feet, I used an image from Cyborg 009 (Or something of that ilk) and copied that.
    So problems I noticed were, to begin with, the size of the head, far too big in comparison to her body. Her hair looks a bit thin on the top (or that might just be me, which incidentally, I'm hoping) and the torso is a bit big.
    Also the dink in her smile came from Hellsing, I forgot however that the small dent was the smile of a vampire -.- So yes, she has a fang.

So then this followed :

I'd list the problems, but there are to many. Also note she seems to be missing some f her anatomy, this is due to a friend taking the paper i was using at the time to draw what started out as a hand, ended up as Minnie Mouse without forgetting that at one point it was a plane, and the "wing" sliced her legs off.

Ok so I need some help with my current project, Riven with an orient theme. Take a look and tell me what you think.

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

This will be Riven at some point with clothes on, but I'm trying to get the whole thing right before doing the clothes. As far as I can tell, the top of the body and the head seem well proportioned, with the bottom part of the body a bit small. If someone could, I dunno, redline any changes I should make, I will be very grateful indeed.

Report 2 :

SPOILER! :

Now I took on board the proportion problems and doghateburger's tip about the head size to body ratio, and I think it looks far better. I'm trying to trace it onto a clean white paper, because this one is fading away.

Report 3 :

SPOILER! :

Tried to make the head more realistic without touching the hair/eyes. Chin is thinner, face is rounder and I tried to place some ears. Thanks to a rescale I have added the base of the legs and tried a very small amount of shading.

Report 4 :

SPOILER! :

Better shading (I hope) and some colors to see what could be done. Just finishing clothes details. The breasts look a bit low, but apart from that I'm liking it. Eyes have been squared to see if it looks more realistic.

Report 5 :

SPOILER! :

Added suit detail and colors, need to finish the detail. Colors also need to be finished.

So for the time being that's me, I'm still getting to grips with the face markers, but that will come in time no doubt. Cheerio!
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 10-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

It is by no means cheating to copy from a picture, unless you literally trace over it. In fact, many artists recommend using reference photos as a way to improve.
    In terms of your drawings, you do the eyes and hair very well! To improve, try working on the proportions (I think you may have realised this already though).

Never think of reference as a bad thing! And this is good for just going in blindly as a first attempt! Just take a look at some proportions and get right back into it. I know when I first started drawing, I filled an entire sketchbook with just drawings of heads, because I was convinced mine were terrible. But if you keep at, and do lots of artistic studies, you'll improve.

Haha thank you for the comments! They were much needed as I'm trying to solve math problems atm -_-" My third drawing I, eh, managed to draw a hand, and to be honest I thought it was f***ing amazing. It just blended in with the arm so dam well O_O" . As I said, I have only just read Rio's tutorials, anything I'm drawing now actually has markers and everything XD Sadly though I rubbed the mouth of the character I was drawing so much the paper just melted away. So I was left with this blow up doll -.-"

BUT! My project for now is inspired by a collection of League of Legends champions dressed in the Lunar Revel 2012 skins, with some that never received an official skin, so a fan art for a few. In this case it's Riven, my all time favorite one. Once I get passed the eyes I'll show you where I am with her I've always wanted Riven with a Chinese themed skin <3 Anyhow, back to the maths! Ta-ta for now! Thanks again!
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 09-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.

As previously mentioned, drawing these without reference is definitely good! As people (and you) have said, it's just the proportions that are a bit messed up. To be more specific, I'd say on the first drawing that the shoulders are too straight (not curved much) and a bit too long (at least the left one), so it seems as if the arm is way too far out. Like you said, the torso is too long/slim (due to the length of the shoulders), which subsequently makes the hip/legs a bit too small as well. It's a bit of a circle--one part is too large, the others seem too small by comparison, and vice-versa. Also the breasts are drawn a bit... oddly ^_^
    For the second drawing, I'd say that the right arm looks quite strange because the section covered by hair seems to dip down a bit too much. In turn, it contributes to the notion that the arm is jutting out too much (if your hand was in your pocket you probably wouldn't be curving your arm outward, it would probably be hugging the side of your torso and would look more relaxed).
    Hopefully that shed a bit more light onto the mysterious proportions talk. In general, though, these are pretty good drawings given the fact that you just went in without reference. I think you do the coloring pretty nicely, as well! ^_^ keep drawing and soon you'll find yourself getting rid of proportion issues.

Well the moment has passed, back to work! I leave you with my favorite Captain Barbossa quote from PoC 3 : At Worlds End, which is "I'M A LITTLE BUSY AT THE MOMENT!"

I lol every time i hear that.

Current project up! Have a look and see if you can help me!

As it is now 5 AM where I am, and I'm getting up (supposedly) in 2 hours, I bid thee all a good night.

Not sure where you put it, but I redline the third image on your first post for ya.

Over all, I think you are off to a good start, however your anatomy have ways to go. As far now, the proportions are all off. But the most common once are head too big, hands too big, overly broad shoulders, small lower body, think neck.

I'm not sure if you are aiming for semi deform or not, but if you are looking for realistic proportion, I suggest you start looking up some reference and tutorials to help you. Nothing wrong with using reference for learning purposes, as long as you are not tracing it and claiming its your work, as mention by UnmeiOTsukuru

Heres the red line

I just eye balled the measurements so its not super accurate but should be sufficient to give you an idea.

Generally the adult human figure should be 7 1/2 to 8 heads too, teens and children can be around 5-7 heads depending on their age.

Keep it up C:

Holy... O_O" I didn't realise I was that far off XD. I found a picture with a few poses and tried my best to do something similar (credits to the original author), in this case the 2nd one from the right-center :

SPOILER! :

But ya, I overcompensate on the head too much every time -.-"

Edit : Thanks for the head info, that is actually really neat (not to mention useful)

Edit 2 : I've lengthened the legs somewhat so now it sits firmly at around 5 1/2 heads, say I was to finish it off as a teen/child, what should I concentrate on? Just draw it as I would have done? (Some oriental dress is the plan) Or are there elements in a child that should be more detailed/enhanced compared to an adult?

Edit 1337 : F**k this, clean slate time. Gonna try and redraw the body, this time only better.
    Last edited by xXtidusFRXx; 09-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

5 1/2 is more for a child, probably around 6-8 years old. If you are planning on turning it into a child, then the anatomical structure will need to be rework. As the childs body is being develop, the proportion of the body is not similar to that of an adult. The shoulders and torso would be narrower.

Here is a pretty good ref

I would suggest starting over if anything else xD