Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Hey man Dont spend too much time stressing over "being limited," just draw what you enjoy drawing! So this isn't too bad, the head is a little big and the proportions aren't perfect but you already knew that. Seeing as it is present in both your digital and traditional drawings I thought I would offer up my opinion on your choice of shading. I say opinion and not critique because its one of those things that is hard to label as "right" or "wrong." So, most of the time manga style drawings dont use a lot of shading. In my experience they tend to stick to cell shading or just very very minimal shading. The kind of shading that you seem to be aiming for is more often found in realism or semi-realism. And even then there are still parts of the drawing that are just white. Dont be afraid of white space, it can be your friend. Anyway, I think it would be helpful for you to reevaluate how you are shading your drawings; maybe look up artists that you admire and see how they do it? That is almost always helpful and a good source of inspiration. If you decide to stick with the sort of "shade everything" thing you have going on, it might be helpful to try aiming for a smoother look where the pencil lines are less visible.

Good luck and looking forward to more of your work

Quote Originally Posted by corastaur View Post
    Hey man Dont spend too much time stressing over "being limited," just draw what you enjoy drawing! So this isn't too bad, the head is a little big and the proportions aren't perfect but you already knew that. Seeing as it is present in both your digital and traditional drawings I thought I would offer up my opinion on your choice of shading. I say opinion and not critique because its one of those things that is hard to label as "right" or "wrong." So, most of the time manga style drawings dont use a lot of shading. In my experience they tend to stick to cell shading or just very very minimal shading. The kind of shading that you seem to be aiming for is more often found in realism or semi-realism. And even then there are still parts of the drawing that are just white. Dont be afraid of white space, it can be your friend. Anyway, I think it would be helpful for you to reevaluate how you are shading your drawings; maybe look up artists that you admire and see how they do it? That is almost always helpful and a good source of inspiration. If you decide to stick with the sort of "shade everything" thing you have going on, it might be helpful to try aiming for a smoother look where the pencil lines are less visible.

Good luck and looking forward to more of your work
    Well the reason I want to be able to draw a lot of different poses and movements is that it'd be cool to try to make a manga (just for fun) sometime. That's not necessarily a big focus of mine, however.

And I agree on the shading. A lot of the time I encounter issues when doing the "cover everything" shading because more manga/anime style features don't mesh well with it. This is especially noticeable on the nose, where I tried to shade as a real nose would be shaded and realized that features like that are intentionally ambiguous and simplified. Doing the shading on something like the nose makes it look awkward and unusual, because if I'm not fully drawing in a realistic nose it's difficult to shade it well.
    And like you said, it probably doesn't suit this style of drawing well to shade like this, and it's quite a lot of work. I'll look into other styles of shading and try to practice them soon ~~
    Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Tween Member
    I never seen this mentioned yet but:

It might be worth a try looking at proper ways to hold your pencil or stylus as well. It seems that like a fork or knife, there is actually a way you should be holding them to get really smooth, really clean lines with proper wrist movement and such.

Try looking at a few youtube videos!

Long time no see. I've been drawing a decent amount, but not been uploading, so I'll just put up a few right now. A lot of these are more idea drawings than full-on tryhard ones, but that's besides the point. Also, thanks for the advice zfox, I'll try to look into it.

11/7/13 - Several Things
    SPOILER! :

(yes, I know the eyes are different shapes) Also, ignore the random doodles in the back

Awkward drawing of a kid riding a bicycle. Yes, I'm aware the pedals are invisible and that the wheels aren't perfect circles.

Uneven eyes again ^^

scanner messed up on me
    Last edited by Icy; 11-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

i think you just keep it up!
    you're on the right track from what i see... proportion and lines are improving... try not to do chicken scratch drawing and let your pencil glide...
    maybe do more gesture drawings... to correct this chicken scratch method (see maniacs.com/thirtysecond)
    i like the one the bike, and the practice on varying expressions... just do more and more... and continue to devlop your characters (like make them do other stuff, let them interact with other characters, its what you're doing now actually so just continue)

just keep it up bro
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

New drawing... Nothing special, I just felt that my side/anything other than front view (lol) sucked, so I randomly made these two.
    As you may see, I am trying new methods for shading. A

11/16/13 - 2 Drawings
    SPOILER! :

Last edited by Icy; 11-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

hey... I'm back again with another drawing, this time a somewhat full body one that looks at least mildly non-ridiculous. I realize the legs look a bit awkward.

12/2/13
    SPOILER! :

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

ANOTHER DRAWING! Praise the orangutans! (?)

12/4/13
    SPOILER! :

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

keep it up bro!
    nothing much to say but that. just keep it up, ur getting somewhere with trying different things
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Hey... I made a bit of a nsfw drawing. Not naked, just kind of in a bathing suit... S_S
    There's a couple errors I'm already aware of that are a bit difficult to describe, but what I'll say is that I often don't see issues if I've looked at a drawing for too long.

12/5/13 - DAT ECCHI NSFW !!
    SPOILER! :

and thanks a lot bunnyvoid ^_^

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~