Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Icy's Beginner Artwork ^_^;;

Quote Originally Posted by JJJorgie View Post
    Already looking better!

The eye on the left is a little too high. The glasses lense on the same side is too long in width. The brow and forehead is lacking. The mouth looks a little low and it's not centered to the nose. The eye on the right should be tilted down to the right to be in line with the face. The ear's a little low and really misshapen. Don't be afraid to make the nose more angular.
    All really sound advice. I took a look at the drawing and I could certainly spot each of the errors and why you'd point them out. Thanks ^_^. Also, I really can't draw ears well :P

Did you draw some a centerline, or an eyeline? Those can be extremely helpful for placing features as well as getting them in a proper relation with one another. Also the ear should come in at around the same height to the eyes. But, it's greatly improved from the last one.

A lot of great artists learn by carefully analysing works and technique of greater artist and life it self by doing life study. Therefore there is no harm in using reference if you are drawing something unfamiliar.
    I realize my phrasing of this was rather poor, and you shouldn't just copy others blindly. Rather take a look at how they draw and compare it to how you draw. But don't steal ideas. Thanks DHB for correcting me there, I shouldn't stay up so late XD

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    Did you draw some a centerline, or an eyeline? Those can be extremely helpful for placing features as well as getting them in a proper relation with one another. Also the ear should come in at around the same height to the eyes. But, it's greatly improved from the last one.

I realize my phrasing of this was rather poor, and you shouldn't just copy others blindly. Rather take a look at how they draw and compare it to how you draw. But don't steal ideas. Thanks DHB for correcting me there, I shouldn't stay up so late XD
    I tried to add a few centerlines and so forth, pulling a few ideas from the structural layout redline that doghateburger did. In the end i don't think I utilized the lines as well as I could, but I made an attempt at least. And thanks ^_^

New drawing.

10/4/13 - Drawing of a Girl
    SPOILER! :

Another pencil drawing, this time of a girl (my sister, if you care). For being the first time I use a girl as a reference photo for these drawings, I think it turned out somewhat OK, but there is something unsettling about it that I can't quite pinpoint. The eyes look a bit creepy, maybe? I'm not sure. Also, I modified the expression a bit because it just didn't seem to make any sense when I tried to draw it (her mouth is kind of "sad" but the raising of her eyebrows make it less sad and more neutral; when I drew it she just looked angry, so I gave a generic smile and fairly straight eyebrow).

Reference Image
    SPOILER! :

Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Lovely, very (n)ice work.
    The powerful play goes on, and you... May contribute a verse.

I suggest some lines around the mouth and possibly a more prominent chin based on the ref. Also the hair could use a little more touching up and so could the whole area around the bottom of the scarf, like the jacket collar.(unless you decided the scarf was where you'd stop). And the scarf folds need some work as well. Other than that you seem to have improved your facial construction quite a bit Keep up the progress my good man!

Quote Originally Posted by xXtidusFRXx View Post
    Lovely, very (n)ice work.
    Clever, lol. Thank you my good sir

Quote Originally Posted by Iaidoka View Post
    I suggest some lines around the mouth and possibly a more prominent chin based on the ref. Also the hair could use a little more touching up and so could the whole area around the bottom of the scarf, like the jacket collar.(unless you decided the scarf was where you'd stop). And the scarf folds need some work as well. Other than that you seem to have improved your facial construction quite a bit Keep up the progress my good man!
    Using lines to give a bit of "identity" to each part of the face was certainly something I wish I'd have done as I was looking at my drawing on the computer, so it's good to know that someone else confirms that ^_^

As for the jacket, I actually semi-decided to stop around the scarf, and just drew the outline of the jacket as more of a placeholder, since currently my anatomical focus is facial structure/neck/shoulders. I'll draw the lower areas in more detail once I'm confident with what I'm currently working on.

Like you, I was also a bit concerned about the hair; I think I kind of rushed it. I will most likely look up a tutorial or some reference for drawing hair without spending 20 minutes having to make all the fine little lines and ending up with a messy, ill-defined mop ^__^

Thanks for all the useful suggestions and motivation. I'll be sure to keep them in my mind on my next drawing.
    Pushing the limits of how bad drawings can be! If you ever need help, don't ask me. It's probably a bad idea.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Another new drawing. It's done without reference this time.

10/5/13 - Reality Check (No Reference)
    SPOILER! :

Decided to attempt to draw a guy, this time without any reference, to see if I've improved from my reference drawings.
    The result was meh, but I believe it is better than my first few non-reference ones.

~~꿀 먹은 벙어리~~

Hmm not bad, not bad. But if you're going for a more realistic look, the eyes need to be an eye length apart and I still feel the arms need some bulking up. But it's nice to see some more clothing. Keep it up!

Nice job! No reference as well! One issue I find is the neck looks a little thick compared to the shoulders. It looks fine compared to the head though, so try making the shoulders larger - just a little though
    ''When you do something wrong, it is not a mistake. It is a lesson.''